Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:54
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 21, 2007

I am posting this as a word of caution for anyone out there who may receive a similar letter in the mail.

I received what looks like a bill for my website ($30 for one year or $95 for three years). My site is hosted through ProZ.com, but that has nothing to do with this (they can get your address from whois.net etc.)

It is on colored letterhead and includes an envelope for payment. In fact, I only glanced at it and just put it aside to pay later.

The letter reads:
“Domain Registry of America
Domain Name Expiration Notice!
As a courtesy to domain name holders, we are sending you this notification of the domain name registration that is due to expire in the next few months. Your registration for: mywebsite.xxx will expire on xxxxx xx, xxxx.

You must renew your domain name to retain exclusive rights to it on the Web. Failure to renew your domain name by the expiration date may result in a loss of your online identity making it difficult for your customers and friends to locate you on the Web.”

However, when I took a closer look at it this morning, I found this:
“When you switch today to the Domain Registry of America, you can take advantage of our best savings.
…now is the time to transfer and renew your name from your current Registrar to the Domain Registry of America.
Privatization of Domain Registration and Renewals now allows the consumer the choice of Registrar when renewing a domain name. Domain name holders are not obligated to renew their domain name with their current Registrar or with the Domain Registry of America.”

In other words, despite appearances, this is not a bill, but a way to get me to switch to their registration company.

[Edited at 2007-10-21 15:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:54
English to French
+ ...
fake domain renewal ... not very original Oct 21, 2007

The same scam happened in Europe (UK) 4 or 5 years ago.

I had a .co.uk domain name and received a letter very similar to yours, but without the enveloppe for the answer.

What made suspicious is that usually domain registrars contact you by email, they don't bother to write on paper !

A claim was filed against the company at the time.

http://www.synuk.com/droa/

[Edited at 2007-10-21 18:12]

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:54
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Domain Registry of America Oct 21, 2007

Thanks for the link ( http://www.synuk.com/droa/ ). This is the same letter I received only Domain Registry of Europe was changed to Domain Registry of America.

nordiste wrote:

The same scam happened in Europe (UK) 4 or 5 years ago.

I had a .co.uk domain name and received a letter very similar to yours, but without the enveloppe for the answer.

What made suspicious is that usually domain registrars contact you by email, they don't bother to write on paper !

A claim was filed against the company at the time.

http://www.synuk.com/droa/

[Edited at 2007-10-21 18:12]

[Edited at 2007-10-21 19:52]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning to translators with a website

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search