Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Clients were happy with me... where is the repeat work?
Thread poster: Juliana Brown
Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:52
English to Swedish
Getting into literary translation Nov 8, 2007

Hi Juliana,
That was a lovely saying! I had never heard it before, and actually had to do a little research to find out the actual meaning

Literature from English speaking countries is popular in Sweden (too popular, at the expense of other literature, many thinks), so a lot is translated. I don’t know what the situation would be with your pairs.
However I can tell you that I started out as a publisher's
... See more
Hi Juliana,
That was a lovely saying! I had never heard it before, and actually had to do a little research to find out the actual meaning

Literature from English speaking countries is popular in Sweden (too popular, at the expense of other literature, many thinks), so a lot is translated. I don’t know what the situation would be with your pairs.
However I can tell you that I started out as a publisher's reader (basically free work, I think they maybe gave me the book), and after a couple of years I asked for translation work, did a test, and then I was in.

Editors in publishing houses have told me that they get daily phone calls from people who want to become translators, but they're basically only interested in experienced translators, so it is a catch 22 situation.

I have advised others to offer their services as proofreaders for publishing houses as a way of getting a foot in the door. However, this is also low paid work, and if you are a very good proofreader apparently the publishing houses are reluctant to let you “advance” to translating and loose you as a proofreader (so I have been told).
So the first book is the hardest to get, but once you have proven yourself it is much easier. They just want to be sure that the translator is capable and can keep deadlines.

Best of luck!
Cecilia
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:52
English to French
+ ...
Slow periods Nov 8, 2007

I agree with most of what has been said here about the reasons why some clients don't get back to us with more work for a while. If these clients really were happy with your work, they will give you more work. Let's cross our fingers this will not happen precisely when you have both hands full already.

I had almost an entire month this summer when I was completely out of work. I wasn't in trouble because I worked like crazy for a few months before that and actually needed some time
... See more
I agree with most of what has been said here about the reasons why some clients don't get back to us with more work for a while. If these clients really were happy with your work, they will give you more work. Let's cross our fingers this will not happen precisely when you have both hands full already.

I had almost an entire month this summer when I was completely out of work. I wasn't in trouble because I worked like crazy for a few months before that and actually needed some time off, but I was restless because I was wondering how come all of a sudden all my clients forgot about me. It's not the lack of work that stresses me out, but wondering how long it will last and whether I should start recruiting clients again. At times like this, we don't feel safe, and I think this explains why we feel so stressed out. Although work is not hectic right now, I can say all is back to normal and that month-long period being a first for me, I guess it's safe to say that lack of work eventually catches up with all of us, for reasons we never end up knowing and therefore have no control over. It is best to use that downtime wisely, not only to catch up with accounting and pick up some new clients, but also to spend quality time with friends and family and switch off for a while. Stop and smell the roses!

Just remember to put some money aside every time you get a payment for these periods of calm. Ten percent should suffice...
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 01:52
French to Dutch
+ ...
I agree Nov 8, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I agree with most of what has been said here about the reasons why some clients don't get back to us with more work for a while. If these clients really were happy with your work, they will give you more work.

But back to the subject line, a related question is that of the newsletters. Clients say you: "we're going to do a newsletter every month/three months". You translate the first one, sometimes the second one, the client seems happy, the end client too, but the third one is not there. Sometimes it even stops after two or three years. Did they stop the newsletter? Did they give it to another agency? Did the agency give it to another translator? Why didn't they ask me for a TM or a terminology list, then? Are they re-inventing the wheel? Nobody never tells me what is happening, rather strange, and it makes me doubt about myself. Were there quality problems?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clients were happy with me... where is the repeat work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »