Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How do you assess the workload in recent months?
Thread poster: MARIA GUSTAFSON

MARIA GUSTAFSON  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 20, 2007

I was wondering if someone has made an assessment of the workload in the recent months as I have contacted translators in the West coast and in the East coast and they all stated that it's very slow. I'm in the Chicago area, US Central Time, and it's been very slow for me as well.

I would really appreciate your feedback regarding this matter and also would like to know how you cope with this situation.

Best regards,
Maria Gustafson

Direct link Reply with quote

Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:52
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Here in the great white north Nov 20, 2007

in central Canada, things have been very slow for the past 2 months as well...
To make things worse, I was offered a nice bit of work from a previous Canadian client, I had to explain that now that the Canadian dollar is high I needed to raise my prices (which they pay in US for some unknown reason) a wee bit, and lost the job! As Charlie Brown used to say:
"AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!"

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 20, 2007

Thank you very much for your feedback. Although I don't like what happened to you it somehow makes me feel that I'm not the only one who has this kind of troubles.
Best regards,
Maria Gustafson

Robin Salmon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:52
German to English
+ ...
Slow for me, too Nov 20, 2007

I live in Australia but never get any work from here, anyway. I get practically all of my work from Germany but jobs have been like hens' teeth in the past couple of months. Applying to new agencies is slowly helping, though.

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
good months for me.... Nov 20, 2007

The last couple of months have been busy for me. I've been juggling two or three projects simultaneously a couple of times and turning jobs down , too. (Even one or two from you, Maria!)

However, as of yesterday, I had met all my deadlines, delivered all my work and sent all my invoices. Today I washed my floors!

Tomorrow......the bathrooms? Nah!

Tomorrow I will probably spend the day glued to the computer in case something comes in.

Fingers crossed....for you guys, too.

Paty

Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm making soup, Nov 20, 2007

since it's getting chilly here, and doing an extra wonderful job for my regular clients.
I also took the advice of several colleagues, when I complained about this a few weeks ago, and spent some time working on my marketing, glossaries, etc. so the down time is not wasted.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
I have more work Nov 21, 2007

than I can handle, but I do a lot of translations for European clients -- and billing in EUR (I have an acct. in Germany). So it's not a question of finding cheap translators in the US.

Trudy

Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Au contraire... Nov 21, 2007

I am the translator, and I have no intention of selling myself short. I need to worry about cheap agencies, not cheap translators! Luckily, the steadier part of my work is also from Europe and pays in the blessed euro...

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 21, 2007

After reading your comments I realize that the troubles are, maybe, taking place here in North America, I mean USA & Canada. I don't go for cheap translations, I've been a translator for 28 years!

I have sent emails to agencies, but hardly anybody replied. It seems that here in the US everybody's thinking about the holidays. Just as an example I sent "Happy Thanksgiving" emails today and got hundreds of Auto-responses "I'll be out of the office until..."

I would appreciate if you could give any suggestions and advice in order to get more jobs. I don't mean to compete with you guys, I need to WORK!

Thank you all!
Best,
Maria Gustafson

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Attn. Trudy Nov 21, 2007

Dear Trudy,

Do you think I could help you out with some translations?
Pls. advise.
Thanks!!!
Maria Gustafson

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
What is your specialization? Nov 21, 2007

I would think it would depend on your specialization. German>English financial translations are generally pretty steady, but some projects have been canceled recently because the underlying deals were canceled due to market conditions.

Is there something going on in your market that would cause this? Any unusual events? Maybe exchange rates? Typical client vacation times are usually slow - is it that? Maybe it's just time to expand your marketing to new agencies.

Inese Poga-Smith  Identity Verified
Canada
Latvian to English
+ ...
Lots of work Nov 21, 2007

I do texts in a very small language pair and in addition live in Canada (very far from Latvia) but I'm having lots of work; I don't like to refuse, especially good, reliable customers but I recently had to. I am getting projects from Europe (mostly the UK, Germany, Netherlands) and from the USA. I raised my prices (because of the US dollar) but it didn't seem to slow down. My husband told that all that means is I'm still charging too less.

Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 22:52
Turkish to English
+ ...
Busy Nov 21, 2007

I have plenty of work at the moment. There has been a huge increase in demand in the Turkish-English pair over the past couple of years.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:52
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Busy lately, as a rule Nov 21, 2007

My workload has been generally busy lately, especially July, August, September and October. It has slowed down a little now and in the first week of November I had NO WORK AT ALL. However, all my work comes from Europe (mostly UK) and I don't get any from North America.
I've had very slow times in the past, but it always picks up again eventually. It's frustrating, I agree.
Clean that house, sort out those papers, arrange to go out and - hey presto! the work will reappear like magic.
Best of luck,
Jenny.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:52
Italian to English
+ ...
rushed off my chair Nov 21, 2007

... so to speak! But I work exclusively with European agencies. Judging from the situation in Italy whenever there's a bank holiday, I'd say any temporary blip in the States is bound to be down to Thanksgiving.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you assess the workload in recent months?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search