Thread poster: Ana Belen Garcia Luque

Ana Belen Garcia Luque
Spain
Local time: 03:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 23, 2008

Hello all!

My question is a bit specific, but I will try to explain myself well so you can understand...

I am working full-time in a company, but besides my job, I do translation assignments for an Italian company. I have lived in Italy for a year and I had a VAT number there that allowed me to issue invoices from Italy. Now I keep on working for this same company, but I live in Spain and do not keep the Italian VAT number. What I do everytime I have a freelance assignment is to issue invoice with a family business, so I use the VAT number of my father's company to issue invoices. The agencies I have worked for have never complained about this, but the Italian company now have proposed me a full-time freelance collaboration contract and they do not accept the family business VAT number for this contract.

The problems are the following:

1. I already work for a company (full-time) with an indefinite contract, so I cannot afford starting up a business on my own at the same time and asking for a Spanish VAT number. Taxes would be high and the income I would receive monthly (which is relatively low) would not really cover all expenses.

2. The contract for the Italian company needs to include my name, but if I issue invoices with a company's VAT number (CIF), this CIF is not related to my name, but to the company.

3. The company I issue invoices with is not related to the translation business, but to a different field. The Italian company states that I can only issue invoices if the company is a translation agency. I fifn't know this and certainly, I have issued invoices before this way.

My questions are:

1. Would there be a way to include my name in the contract and at the same time the name and VAT number of the company. I have heard that my father, as the owner of the company, could sign a document to give me a "power" as "mandataria" (apoderada) of the company, instead of employee. This way, I could use that CIF/VAT number, as it is mine.

2. Should I open a VAT number in Spain even though I already work for a company?

Thanks for your contributions. I hope that the Spanish/Italian colleagues can shed some light to my questions!

Regards,
Ana

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Asis  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:45
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What I know (not much) Jan 23, 2008

Hi!

Ana Belen García Luque wrote:
3. The company I issue invoices with is not related to the translation business, but to a different field. The Italian company states that I can only issue invoices if the company is a translation agency. I fifn't know this and certainly, I have issued invoices before this way.

This is true. The company/freelancer can only issue invoices for the activity said in the form 036. If the translation activity is not part of the business, deliver a 036 with an additional activity and you'll be able to issue translation invoices on behalf of that company.

Ana Belen García Luque wrote:
2. Should I open a VAT number in Spain even though I already work for a company?

If you cannot get to an agreement with the Italian company, in spite of adding the translation activity as a business for your family company, then as a freelancer, your VAT number is your NIF number, so no need to ask for it.

I know a person working full-time who had to register as a freelancer to issue additional invoices.

Hope this helps a little.

María José Asís

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issue invoice without being a freelance in Spain

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search