Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:11
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jan 29, 2008

We are used to deadlines set by agencies. But actually it could be useful to set deadlines when responding to job-offers.
"This offer is valid until tomorrow 12.00 EET".

Then if they send the files late I would not be bound by my offer and could refuse or rise my rates.

Has anyone tried this?

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:11
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe we should Jan 29, 2008

Actually I have never really considered this, but it's a good idea. Suppose you have responded to a job-offer and someone else offers another job: you'd have to turn this second (or third...) job down in order to be able to complete the first job, that may never come. And what if deadlines get to tight because of a late response of the client? Enough reasons to add validity info.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Sometimes Jan 29, 2008

Yes, I sometimes do this, especially with new, unknown clients. Never had any negative reaction, the clients always agreed.

Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
On a regular basis Jan 29, 2008

Not only with agencies, but with clients in general. Otherwise, as Renée points out, other job offers may be turned down for a job that never comes in, or deadlines may become too tight.

Never had a negative response, either.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Always (kinda) Jan 29, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
We are used to deadlines set by agencies. But actually it could be useful to set deadlines when responding to job-offers. "This offer is valid until tomorrow 12.00 EET".

Whenever you submit a quotation to anyone, you should specify for how long the quotation is valid. If it appears that the client might not accept immediately, or if no deadline is given, you should state the delivery time in terms of days and not as a specific date.

So,
"This quotation is valid until XYZ"
and
"Delivery XYZ working days after receipt of go-ahead"

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 29, 2008

In fact, I just did this a couple of hours ago.

I usually word it "I can meet your deadline if I receive the source files and job approval by XX:XX today, your local time" (or "by XX:XX on [day, date]," as the case may be).

[Edited at 2008-01-29 19:38]

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I always do, too Jan 29, 2008

My offer is valid only for the time being, not one or two days (or some hours, dipending on the deadline) later, obviously.

I always state, regarding a deadline, whether to known customers or to new ones, a certain time limit for getting the approval, otherwise we shall need to renegotiate it.

And then: I don't want to waste my time, awaiting an answer that (maybe) never will arrive.

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:41
German to English
Similar to what Steven does Jan 30, 2008

It's usually something like "If I receive the files for translation by XXXX, I can complete the translation by the given deadline, otherwise the deadline will have to be extended accordingly."

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:11
German to English
Nearly always use this... Jan 30, 2008

... e.g. "If I receive files by 5pm Monday then I will deliver by ..."
It's not merely a safety measure, but also shows that we're thinking about the business aspects of the job as well as the language.
It makes a project manager's life simpler so should not provoke any negative response from a genuine pro, who will after all be making similar stipulations in turn to his clients.

Try it today - or tomorrow, deadlines permitting...

DB

Ivana Zuppa-Baksa
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
It is necessary to set the deadlines Jan 30, 2008

I always set the deadlines, as some agencies do not have reasonable deadlines. Some of them put the same deadline of quoting and of delivery of the translation. The formulation of Niraja "If I receive the files for translation by xxx. I can complete the translation by the given deadline, otherwise the deadline will have to be extended accordingly" should always be placed at the and of your bid. So I advice to do it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you set deadlines when bidding?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search