Thread poster: Laura Morarelli

Laura Morarelli
Italy
Local time: 04:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 1, 2008

Dear all,

I've contatced a few translation agencies to proof read my education and job documents form Italian to English, as I would like to apply to become a qualified teacher in the UK. I have already translated the documents myself.

My problem is that some employers provided me with the same certificate but with different reference numbers (because they file each certificate they issue). I can't proofread only one certificate and make copies because I have to give original Italian documents. I told the translation agencies if they could consider that actually in some cases they just have to change the reference number of the certificate but not the content but they still count the total amount of words.

I just wanted to ask you if this is what agencies usually do when they proofread documents.

Thanks a lot for your help. Please answer soon.

Laura

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:18
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Certificate should be left as is Feb 1, 2008

Hello Laura,

Do I understand you correctly, that the proofreading agency puts its own number on your certificate? That is not acceptable. The certificate should be left exactly as is, with only the corrections in language or spelling that are necessary.

If the agency wants to give their own number to the job, they should put that in the file number, not in the certificate itself.

Note added: Oh, now I get it, it is the employers who have put different reference numbers on the same certificates but the translation agency wants to charge the full price for each certificate. In that case I agree with Michelle and Sandra. The agency still needs to verify that each certificate is correct before they can certify it.

As a matter of fact, I never accept this kind of job. If I have to certify a document, I insist on translating it myself from scratch and formatting it to look exactly like to original. If you want translate the document yourself, then you should have it certified by a legal professional instead of a translator.

[Edited at 2008-02-01 19:17]

[Edited at 2008-02-01 19:18]

Michelle Grace  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:18
French to English
+ ...
For certification purposes, proofreading is necessary Feb 1, 2008

Hi Laura

Your translation of your certificates must be certified by an agency (or a sworn translator), otherwise the translations will be rejected by the education authorities.

If the agency is certifying your translation, they have to proofread the whole translation because they have to certify that the translation is true and accurate.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Michelle

Sandra Bertolini  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Proofreading and sworn translations Feb 1, 2008

Michelle Grace wrote:

If the agency is certifying your translation, they have to proofread the whole translation because they have to certify that the translation is true and accurate.

This is correct. A translation agency can't simply certify that everything is OK if they have just a part of the whole text.

Then it depends on what you asked them to do. I mean if you need a sworn translation and they have to go to the court to "swear" the translation (because institutions don't simply recognise a proofreading carried out even by a very famous translation agency: they need a sworn translation certifying the accurateness of the translation), this costs money in terms of revenue stamps and of the service provided. I'm just showing you this possibility because this is what happens in Italy.

So be sure of what you need to present in your application in order to have the right job done and to avoid a waiste of money.

Bye

Sandra

Laura Morarelli
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 1, 2008

Laura Morarelli wrote: Thanks a lot for the explanation... I understand they have to count the words also in the certificates where the content is the same...

Just another question regarding the payment. Is it correct that you pay to UK agencies the whole amount of money due when you assign the job? I thought it was half when you assign it and half when the job is ready.

Thanks

Laura

Dear all,

I've contatced a few translation agencies to proof read my education and job documents form Italian to English, as I would like to apply to become a qualified teacher in the UK. I have already translated the documents myself.

My problem is that some employers provided me with the same certificate but with different reference numbers (because they file each certificate they issue). I can't proofread only one certificate and make copies because I have to give original Italian documents. I told the translation agencies if they could consider that actually in some cases they just have to change the reference number of the certificate but not the content but they still count the total amount of words.

I just wanted to ask you if this is what agencies usually do when they proofread documents.

Thanks a lot for your help. Please answer soon.

Laura

Michelle Grace  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:18
French to English
+ ...
It depends on the agency... Feb 2, 2008

Hi Laura

I suppose that depends on the agency. Some agencies prefer to take full payment in advance from individuals rather than invoice them. There is nothing wrong with this, so long as they provide the translation on time and to your expectations.

Best wishes

Michelle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading charge

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search