EUR over 1.50 USD ... what are you doing about it?
Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:56
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Feb 29, 2008

... what are you doing about it?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-29 10:09]

Direct link Reply with quote

Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
Albania
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Simple :) Feb 29, 2008

Simple, always keep your rates in EUR. Especially if you live in Europe.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
not always a bad thing, from my point of view Feb 29, 2008

I'm taking advantage of the rates to send my Euros to the US and pay off that student loan

...and of course keeping my rates in Euro

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Nothing... Feb 29, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

I don't have any US-based clients, so it makes no difference to me at all.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Hey, I am talking to you!" Feb 29, 2008

The question is (also) meant for the large American agency cats, doing business in Europe.

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:56
Russian to English
+ ...
American but not a large cat Feb 29, 2008

Good topic!

I'm a freelancer living in the US, and most of my clients have been in Europe. I've usually quoted in USD, but I'm considering switching to Euros. The drop in the dollar hasn't affected me directly, since it hasn't been accompanied by significant inflation. However, I'm concerned that I'm working too cheaply in comparison with my European counterparts. On other hand, I haven't seen any terrific increase in my work load, either.

My US clients have historically been willing to pay a few more cents per word than my European clients, and I truly don't understand why that should be the case. Is the cost of doing business that much lower here? US-based oursourcers can send me a check without paying bank fees for funds transfer, but surely bank fees aren't that high.

Anybody have an opinion?

[Edited at 2008-02-29 14:23]

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:56
English to German
+ ...
If you wish to receive replies from US companies maybe you should adjust the tonality. Feb 29, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

"Hey, I am talking to you!"

This kind of language is inappropriate when addressing colleagues. It's rude.

Other than that, as stated earlier: Charge the rates you want in the currency you want and everybody is happy.

James made an interesting point:

I noticed, too, that local companies are paying higher rates to US-translators than what they offer translators in Europe. And vice versa, BTW. Interesting phenomenon.

I am in close contact with many colleagues, very often we are working for the same agencies (!).

Honestly, I have the feeling that European colleagues accept lower rates "because of the weak dollar" without thinking. In this case you should rethink your business plan. Takes less energy than changing the acronym US into "Universal Scapegoat".

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I can still absorb it Feb 29, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

For the past year now, my dollar rate has been about one and a half times my euro rate (slightly less, actually). So I think I'll be fine for another while. If the dollar hits 1.7 to the euro, I'll rethink my rates.

Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
replacing clients who pay in USD with clients who pay in euros/GBP Feb 29, 2008

Living in the UK, I'm now in a position where I'd have to increase my USD rates by 50-60% from their values 8-10 months ago to compensate for the currency fluctuations. This has effectively meant that I simply don't work with US clients anymore because there just wasn't enough room for manoeuvre.

Then again, my rate in euros has remained the same but I am now getting more in GBP than I was a while ago.

I didn't have too many US clients before so losing them hasn't been much of a hit, particularly as they were quickly replaced by European/British ones.

[Edited at 2008-02-29 19:45]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I appologize, Nicole Mar 2, 2008

This kind of language is inappropriate when addressing colleagues. It's rude.

The answers so far all came from freelancers afaik,but I was thinking of the agencies, who kept mum. Robert de Niro, the Taxi driver, then happened to cross my mind and I quoted him - but it came across rather litteral (sg). I am sorry if I insulted anybody . Well, no life signs from agents so far ;\

As for me, it's actually a minor part of my portfolio. I do see a certain flexibility in pricing - but you need to ask for it.

[Edited at 2008-03-02 06:50]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EUR over 1.50 USD ... what are you doing about it?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search