Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Outsourcer offers a low rate - but is praised on Blue Board by colleagues who charge more
Thread poster: Amy Duncan (X)
MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 22:33
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
well... Mar 19, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:

This outsourcer contacted me, not the other way around, and I thought their rate seemed low. That's why I checked the Blue Board. I checked all the comments, and only 2 or three of the translators had included their rates in their profiles, both of them much higher than the price the outsourcer quoted. Naturally I was curious as to whether this was the same rate the commenters had been paid, or not.

If I were all that hungry for work, I guess I'd settle for any old thing, wouldn't I?

Amy

Dear Amy,

Sorry, it seems you misunderstood me a little bit:

1) by "hungry for jobs" I did NOT mean you - I meant is just a general example and BB is the best way for that crowd of people who compete on lower rates - all those people (not YOU) need to do is to email outsourcers, ideally, if he/she sees a poster of "5" of the same language pair - and that, getting around, can mean rate reductions for "new applicants"...

2) BB is good, but it shall not be trusted blindly - I did a test for one agency with many "fives" and when I received their "proofreaders" comments with 12 grammar mistakes per page inserted by the proofreader (well, 8 year school kids can already correct such mistakes), I have almost fallen from my chair...

3) the best way to lose clients, esp. good and best ones, is to post a good BB record; Bythis I lost a client 2 years ago who gave me 30-35 per cent of my stable income for 4 years - it was just enough to be stupid and naive to post "the best agency ever I have worked"...And client gone in a couple of weeks...So, from then on I decided to use BB only for negative postings - I learn a lesson that was a VERY expensive one.

[Edited at 2008-03-19 02:43]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outsourcer offers a low rate - but is praised on Blue Board by colleagues who charge more

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »