Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
A summary of CafeTran’s unique features
Thread poster: 2nl (X)

2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:25
Nov 5, 2015

A summary of CafeTran’s unique features

  • Highly customisable UI: floating panes (also on secondary monitors), distraction-free full screen view, user-defined background and toolbar colours (different themes for night/day, etc.), joining of resource panes, etc.
  • Ergonomic design of screen elements, no tiny fonts in limited input boxes: great help for visually impaired translators, nearly every screen element can be enlarged
  • The magic green down arrow︎
  • Smart word selection
  • Smart case adjustment with handling of diacritics and ignoring leading numbers, bullets, etc.
  • Really smart dragging & dropping of text (e.g., from virtually anywhere in the program into the Target segment pane) with automatic case handling and handling of spaces
  • Smart & easy tag insertion (five different methods to choose from!)
  • Removal of defined characters from the target segment via a keyboard shortcut
  • Keyboard shortcut to adjust end punctuation
  • Easy correction of typos with Ctrl+Space (cycling through alternative spellings, no need to reposition the text cursor)
  • Smart text transposition feature with clever case handling
  • Easy addition of new term pairs
  • Easy addition of related term pairs
  • Easy selection of preferred target term for the rest of the session
  • Advanced Find & Replace dialogue box: smart case handling, acting on project and TM simultaneously, powerful regular expression mode, etc.
  • Automatic listing of words with unknown spelling
  • Using regular expressions for auto-assembly of separable verbs
  • Context-aware Auto-assembling (‘C-3A’)
  • Integration with TM-Town
  • Import of Terminotix Bitext files to CafeTran TMs
  • Clever Clipboard workflow
  • Special PDF workflow
  • Image paper workflow
  • Integration of a Desktop Search Tool
  • Clean TMs without formatting make easy finding and replacing possible.
  • Extremely simple and robust tab-delimited .txt glossary format
  • Built-in glossary management features
  • Built-in TMX editor that can handle TMs as regular projects, including all QA tasks (spell checking etc.). TMX files with millions of entries can be edited easily and extremely fast.
  • No loss of time for importing and indexing tasks when using glossaries, XLIFF and TMX files from clients or colleagues: you can start translating right away.
  • Automatically synced preview of MS Word documents via Dropbox or OneDrive
  • Tag grouping: less tags in your segments
  • Segment-spanning tags can be excluded from segments
  • Total Recall: SQLite databases for handling really big TMs (millions of TUs)
  • Match Bar: an alternative & easy way to insert terms and fragments into your target segment
  • Segment patterns: use segment variables (placeholders) to indicate the position where a variable part of speech has to be inserted into a rigid segment skeleton
  • And many more...


 

2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:25
TOPIC STARTER
Next time more... Nov 5, 2015

Michael wrote:

Thanks for the webinar Hans!

It's a shame there wasn't more time, so you could finish your list!

Michael



Next time I want to focus on adding terminology (to your TM for terms or your glossary).

[Edited at 2015-11-06 09:28 GMT]


 

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Good for you! Nov 5, 2015

Beste Hans,

Iemand moet het zeggen. Hoe jij CafeTran om de haverklap promoot, komt haast evangelisch over. Het lijkt welhaast een religie. Uiteraard heb je het volledige recht om te plaatsen wat je wilt, maar ik vraag mij soms af of het hier niet om een verkapte reclame gaat. Kortom, werk je voor CafeTran? Dan is dit het verkeerde podium.

PS) Ja, even in het Nederlands!


 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Robert: Nov 5, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Beste Hans,

Iemand moet het zeggen. Hoe jij CafeTran om de haverklap promoot, komt haast evangelisch over. Het lijkt welhaast een religie. Uiteraard heb je het volledige recht om te plaatsen wat je wilt, maar ik vraag mij soms af of het hier niet om een verkapte reclame gaat. Kortom, werk je voor CafeTran? Dan is dit het verkeerde podium.

PS) Ja, even in het Nederlands!


Not everything revolves around money.

I am also a big CafeTran fan and promoter, and just like Hans, do not get paid by Igor (the developer). I do get a free licence, but that's partially because of the large amount of beta testing I do to help Igor. I have offered to pay for the program a few times, but Igor declined the offer.

In my spare time, I also help out with the CafeTran wiki (which is primarily Hans’s pet project, although a few days ago we were joined by a third member: Torsten), which is currently the semi-official CafeTran Help resource.

We do it because we enjoy using the tool, and because we want to help Igor carve out a little piece of the CAT tool market (because we feel he deserves it), which is currently dominated by inferior tools, with large marketing budgets and teams of developers.

I can only speak for myself here, but since I plan to be translating for the next god knows how many years still, I want to make sure I continue to have access to the best tools. CafeTran is one of these tools, which is why I support it. It would be a real pity if Igor went out of business because the sheep all continued buying SDL Studio and memoQ (because some project manager told them to).

Incidentally, CafeTran isn’t the only software I am enthusiastic about and which I promote whenever I can online. I am also very happy with:

Ron's CSV Editor (paid; the best CSV editor out there),
Vocola/Unimacro (open source program to create voice commands powered by Dragon NaturallySpeaking),
TMLookup (free; amazing concordancer able to quickly search millions of translation units),
XYplorer (paid; dual pane file browser), – Classic Start Menu (free; to remedy the damage done by Microsoft to its own OS),

…and a number of other small, great tools. The people behind these small tools deserve all the support they can get, because they are responsible for driving innovation in our industry and keeping things interesting.

Michael

[This post was dictated using Dragon Professional 14. Please excuse any typos!]


 

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Good for you 2 Nov 5, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Beste Hans,

Iemand moet het zeggen. Hoe jij CafeTran om de haverklap promoot, komt haast evangelisch over. Het lijkt welhaast een religie. Uiteraard heb je het volledige recht om te plaatsen wat je wilt, maar ik vraag mij soms af of het hier niet om een verkapte reclame gaat. Kortom, werk je voor CafeTran? Dan is dit het verkeerde podium.

PS) Ja, even in het Nederlands!


Not everything revolves around money.

I am also a big CafeTran fan and promoter, and just like Hans, do not get paid by Igor (the developer). I do get a free licence, but that's partially because of the large amount of beta testing I do to help Igor. I have offered to pay for the program a few times, but Igor declined the offer.

In my spare time, I also help out with the CafeTran wiki (which is primarily Hans’s pet project, although a few days ago we were joined by a third member: Torsten), which is currently the semi-official CafeTran Help resource.

We do it because we enjoy using the tool, and because we want to help Igor carve out a little piece of the CAT tool market (because we feel he deserves it), which is currently dominated by inferior tools, with large marketing budgets and teams of developers.

I can only speak for myself here, but since I plan to be translating for the next god knows how many years still, I want to make sure I continue to have access to the best tools. CafeTran is one of these tools, which is why I support it. It would be a real pity if Igor went out of business because the sheep all continued buying SDL Studio and memoQ (because some project manager told them to).

Incidentally, CafeTran isn’t the only software I am enthusiastic about and which I promote whenever I can online. I am also very happy with:

Ron's CSV Editor (paid; the best CSV editor out there),
Vocola/Unimacro (open source program to create voice commands powered by Dragon NaturallySpeaking),
TMLookup (free; amazing concordancer able to quickly search millions of translation units),
XYplorer (paid; dual pane file browser), – Classic Start Menu (free; to remedy the damage done by Microsoft to its own OS),

…and a number of other small, great tools. The people behind these small tools deserve all the support they can get, because they are responsible for driving innovation in our industry and keeping things interesting.

Michael

[This post was dictated using Dragon Professional 14. Please excuse any typos!]



Dear Michael,

I was expecting an answer from Hans, but somehow I am not surprised you did.

Let me be clear, there is nothing wrong with your/his enthousiasm. Good for you, I like enthousiastic people, but the evangelical approach, as if I am in church, catch the eye. Not only now, but already for a long time (sorry, but I read the forums).

So I was wondering if this was some kind of "clandestine advertising", hence my question to Hans if he was working for CafeTran.

Apart from the fact that it looks like he found a new religion, that is all.

Kind regards from a sheep that works with SDL Studio.




[Edited at 2015-11-05 22:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-05 22:49 GMT]


 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
The market(ing) works in mysterious ways. Nov 5, 2015

Hi Robert,

Sorry, didn't mean to call you a sheep. Just trying to indicate that the big CAT tools don't necessarily have (many) more users because they are better. There are other forces at work here, too dark to mention icon_smile.gif

Michael

[Edited at 2015-11-06 09:17 GMT]


 

2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:25
TOPIC STARTER
Just ignore me ... Nov 6, 2015

Dear brother Roberto,

I'm truly sorry if my enthusiasm for CT annoys you. May I suggest that from now on you'll just ignore my postings?

BTW: There is no need for you to act as an advertising pope. There are clear rules here and rest assured that my postings are being monitored by Proz moderators.

Can we please stop this religious dispute?

Amen


 

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Advertising pope? Nov 6, 2015

2nl wrote:

Dear brother Roberto,

I'm truly sorry if my enthusiasm for CT annoys you. May I suggest that from now on you'll just ignore my postings?

BTW: There is no need for you to act as an advertising pope. There are clear rules here and rest assured that my postings are being monitored by Proz moderators.

Can we please stop this religious dispute?

Amen


How would you call this "doxology" on CT then? Your thread is not a question and hasn't even the intention to start a discussion! If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck .........????

BTW: Don't be sorry for your enthusiasm, that is the best part and I truly wish you a lot of succes on your path to enlightment.:-)

Amen to you too brother.





[Edited at 2015-11-06 10:57 GMT]


 

2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:25
TOPIC STARTER
Regarding my webinar Nov 6, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Your thread is not a question and hasn't even the intention to start a discussion!


True. I promised the viewers of yesterday's webinar to post the list of topics of the webinar. So that they could see, which topics weren't discussed.

BTW: I never understood that postings at Proz should either be a question or start a discussion.

Can you now please stop replying so that I don't have to reply anymore?


 

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:25
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Forum scope Nov 6, 2015

2nl wrote:

BTW: I never understood that postings at Proz should either be a question or start a discussion.


Read up: Proz forum rule #1: The ProZ.com forums are provided solely for discussions within ProZ.com's scope.

I generally agree with Roberts impression, and I'm quite sure that your behaviour would meet more criticism if you were promoting a different tool.

2nl wrote:

Can you now please stop replying so that I don't have to reply anymore?


Imho, this is quite a rude statement, and a bit modesty would be to your credit.

My 2 cents.


 

2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:25
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sorry Nov 6, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

2nl wrote:

Can you now please stop replying so that I don't have to reply anymore?


Imho, this is quite a rude statement, and a bit modesty would be to your credit.

My 2 cents.


If you (and Robert) read it that way, I apologise! Mea culpa.

Erik Freitag wrote:
I generally agree with Roberts impression, and I'm quite sure that your behaviour would meet more criticism if you were promoting a different tool.


I cannot see how my listing of topics of a webinar on CafeTran in the dedicated CafeTran forum is wrong ... And I was referring to that aspect, when I suggested Robert to just ignore me. My postings about CafeTran are in the dedicated CafeTran forum. It is easy to skip that forum.

If you refer to my previous postings in other forums, you may have a point. I really try hard to not mention the C-word there anymore.

[Edited at 2015-11-06 09:41 GMT]


 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:25
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
How on earth is his original post ‘outside of ProZ.com's scope’? Nov 6, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

2nl wrote:

BTW: I never understood that postings at Proz should either be a question or start a discussion.


Read up: Proz forum rule #1: The ProZ.com forums are provided solely for discussions within ProZ.com's scope.

I generally agree with Roberts impression, and I'm quite sure that your behaviour would meet more criticism if you were promoting a different tool.

2nl wrote:

Can you now please stop replying so that I don't have to reply anymore?


Imho, this is quite a rude statement, and a bit modesty would be to your credit.

My 2 cents.


Erik,

How on earth is his original post (in the dedicated CafeTran forum) ‘outside of ProZ.com's scope’? Hans gave a webinar yesterday, which he did for free, and in his spare time. His post contained information for the people who watched the webinar. Admittedly, it lacks much in the way of an intro, explaining what it is, but this is no reason to assume it is advertising. If anything, it would be bad advertisingicon_wink.gif

The reason he is miffed is that he does all this work, only to be repaid by a doubting Thomas, or in this case a doubting Robert. Everyone ought to know by now that Hans and I do not get paid by CafeTran, so it would be nice if you guys stopped insinuating that we are. If you are so concerned, email the developer of CafeTran and verify this for yourself.

Our behaviour would meet exactly the same criticism if we were promoting a different tool. People don't like other people to be happy. It reminds them that they must be doing something wrong in their own lives. In this case: that they chose the wrong CAT tool.

Michael

[Edited at 2015-11-06 09:42 GMT]


 

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:25
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Advertisement Nov 6, 2015

2nl wrote:

I cannot see how my listing of topics of a webinar on CafeTran in the dedicated CafeTran forum is wrong ...


Oh, it's a list of topics of a webinar? How're we supposed to know that, you're not saying that anywhere. As fas as I can see, it's just a list of [purportedly] unique features of your favourite CAT tool.

2nl wrote:

If you refer to my previous postings in other forums, you may have a point. I really try hard to not mention the C-word there anymore.


That's certainly not what I want. I'd just prefer not to see too much, if any, advertisement for any CAT tool. A discussion or a even a list of webinar topics indeed would be different kind of animal.

Kind regards,
Erik


 

Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:25
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Thank you! Nov 6, 2015

Hans, I would like to thank you for the Webinar and the follow-up to it in this thread, and I hope that my thanking at the CafeTran forum here is okay and does not irritate anybody or evoke any religious connotations.

Over the years, both enthusiastic and critical translators have kept motivating me and helped to improve CT.

Thanks again!
Igor


 

2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:25
TOPIC STARTER
Bad quoting behaviour Nov 6, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

Oh, it's a list of topics of a webinar? How're we supposed to know that, you're not saying that anywhere. As fas as I can see, it's just a list of [purportedly] unique features of your favourite CAT tool.



As Michael has pointed out to me on several occasions, I have bad quoting behaviour. I must really work on that. Michael wrote about 'spare time', actually I had to proceed with a translation project right after the webinar, so my time was limited.

Next time better


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A summary of CafeTran’s unique features

Advanced search






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search