Thread poster: Francesco Galli
Francesco Galli
Francesco Galli
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 15, 2016

Hi, I need to convert an XLF file that I translated in CafeTran into a XML delivery file. Can I do it with CafeTran?

Thanks a lot,
Francesco

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
English
You probably need... Jan 15, 2016

... to put the translated XLF file back into the same tool that was used to convert the original XML file to XLF in the first place. Then you should be able to recreate the target XML file.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Francesco Galli
Francesco Galli
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Convert XLF to XML. Jan 15, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

... to put the translated XLF file back into the same tool that was used to convert the original XML file to XLF in the first place. Then you should be able to recreate the target XML file.

Regards

Paul
SDL Community Support

Ok, thanks. But isn't there a way to do so directly from the software CafeTran?

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 13:28
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TMX probably? Jan 15, 2016

Since xlf is already a (standard) xml translation file, I suppose you either mean convert to a proprietary xlf file, or - more likely - a tmx file, the standard translation memory file. You can't convert a standard xlf to a proprietary one for obvious reasons, but converting to tmx is a piece of cake:

Cheers,

Hans

Francesco Galli
Francesco Galli
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XML Jan 16, 2016

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Since xlf is already a (standard) xml translation file, I suppose you either mean convert to a proprietary xlf file, or - more likely - a tmx file, the standard translation memory file. You can't convert a standard xlf to a proprietary one for obvious reasons, but converting to tmx is a piece of cake:

Cheers,

Hans

Thanks Hans! Much appreciated. If then the .xlf is a standard .xml file, how come are they unable to send it to the client? Anyway, there is another problem: the translation agency I've been working for wants me to convert the delivery into an .xml file. If I'm unable to convert it, they told me that I have to redo the whole project and complete 1140 segments by Wednesday, which, as you can imagine, is quite impossible at this stage. So, other ideas? For example, can other CATs convert an .xlf into a .xml?

Thanks,
Francesco

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Please send me the files Jan 16, 2016

Francesco Galli wrote:
For example, can other CATs convert an .xlf into a .xml?

As I mentioned above, .xlf is an .xml file (as is .tmx, by the way).

The client either wants a .tmx file (memory), or he wants a proprietary .xlf file. It's not clear from your posting what he wants.

Please send the file to me:

translations
AT
hansvandenbroek.
eu

or go to https://cafetran.freshdesk.com to file a support ticket.

Cheers,

Hans

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
What did the client send you? Jan 16, 2016

Francesco Galli wrote:

Hi, I need to convert an XLF file that I translated in CafeTran into a XML delivery file. Can I do it with CafeTran?

Thanks a lot,
Francesco

Was it an XML file or XLF flie? If the latter, the client should do the conversion themselves. But probably they are an intermediary, have no clue themselves what to do, and are trying to pass the blame on to you.

If you received an xlf file to translate, xlf is what you send back. For various reasons it may be extremely difficult to extract the original xml from xlf, and - provided you received an xlf file to translate - you should not yield to this unreasonable request.

If, on the other hand, you received an xml file, then how did you convert it to xlf?

My 0.03 eurocents worth.

Piotr

Francesco Galli
Francesco Galli
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XML Jan 16, 2016

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Francesco Galli wrote:

Thanks a lot,
Francesco

Was it an XML file or XLF flie? If the latter, the client should do the conversion themselves. But probably they are an intermediary, have no clue themselves what to do, and are trying to pass the blame on to you.

If you received an xlf file to translate, xlf is what you send back. For various reasons it may be extremely difficult to extract the original xml from xlf, and - provided you received an xlf file to translate - you should not yield to this unreasonable request.

If, on the other hand, you received an xml file, then how did you convert it to xlf?

My 0.03 eurocents worth.

Piotr

The file original extension was .xlz, which I renamed into .xlf so that I could read it with CafeTran. Then I reconverted it into .xlz.

Francesco Galli
Francesco Galli
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Xml Jan 16, 2016

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Francesco Galli wrote:
For example, can other CATs convert an .xlf into a .xml?

As I mentioned above, .xlf is an .xml file (as is .tmx, by the way).

The client either wants a .tmx file (memory), or he wants a proprietary .xlf file. It's not clear from your posting what he wants.

Please send the file to me:

translations
AT
hansvandenbroek.
eu

or go to https://cafetran.freshdesk.com to file a support ticket.

Cheers,

Hans

Hi Hans,

I do apologise if I get back to you only now, but I've been busy all day. If I send you the delivery translation file, which steps will you take to try to solve the issue?

Thanks,
Francesco

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Probably... Jan 17, 2016

Francesco Galli wrote:
If I send you the delivery translation file, which steps will you take to try to solve the issue?

... nothing, because of lack of information from your side. So please don't send it.

Hans

Francesco Galli
Francesco Galli
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Xml Jan 17, 2016

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Francesco Galli wrote:
If I send you the delivery translation file, which steps will you take to try to solve the issue?

... nothing, because of lack of information from your side. So please don't send it.

Hans

Dear Hans,

I'm sorry if I didn't give you the information you needed, but I was super super busy yesterday. What is it that you need? I can give you all the information you need, and I need someone who can help me solve this nightmare. Please.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
I guess it would not work Jan 28, 2016

The file original extension was .xlz, which I renamed into .xlf so that I could read it with CafeTran. Then I reconverted it into .xlz.

Because xlz is a zipped archive with xlf, skl and perhaps original inside, and simply changing the extension does not make it an xlf file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML on CafeTran

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »