Thread poster: BabelOn-line

BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:44
English to French
+ ...
May 25

Hello All,

New Cafetran user here. Learning slowly, CT is my first trans. memory, but happy with the direction of travel so far. Still wish there was a full manual or even a third party online tutorial.

When translating into French, my apostrophe come as straight e.g. : l'exemple

Is there a preference I can set up to get curly (or slightly inclined forward) apostrophes e.g.: lapostrophe

by default in the French target?

I can always do a "search and replace all" at the end of the translation, but this always makes me a bit uneasy.

Thanks

[Edited at 2018-05-25 14:47 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:44
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
System-wide solution May 25

Hello!

I think you're on a Mac.

Well, in CafeTran, there is no AutoCorrect function like in Word or SDL Trados, although you can often correct spelling by simply cycling through the alternatives without going back to the word itself (see the "Replace with alternative spelling" keyboard shortcut). There is also a text shortcuts feature in the Resources menu, for application-level text replacement.

So, I suggest that you look for a system-wide solution.

The best, would be to simply type the correct apostrophe in the first place.

In GNU/Linux, I'm able to type the curly apostrophe with the help of a simple key combination (using the configured "Compose" key zith the French soft layout). I'm also using Find and replace in Target segments as needed.

That may be the case on a Mac too. I don't know it this depends on the keyboard layout, but I've found this info on the Web, you may want to test it.

Alt + ] should produce an opening single curly quote ( ‘ )
Alt + Shift + ] should produce a closing single curly quote ( ’ ) = curly/smart apostrophe
Alt + [ should produce an opening double curly quote ( “ )
Alt + Shift + [ should produce a closing double curly quote ( ” )

You can try using the virtual keyboard viewer to locate the correct combination for your layout.

Then, there is the solution described in "macOS Sierra: Replace text and punctuation in documents" - https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25699?locale=en_US which may work across all applications (not just select ones). Again, I have no way to test this here.

If this does not work, hopefully, other CafeTran + MacOS users will chime in.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-05-25 22:47 GMT]

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
(various) third-party online tutorials to learn how to use CafeTran May 25

BabelOn-line wrote:

Hello All,

New Cafetran user here. Learning slowly, CT is my first trans. memory, but happy with the direction of travel so far. Still wish there was a full manual or even a third party online tutorial.

Is there a preference I can set up to get curly (or slightly inclined forward) apostrophes e.g.: lapostrophe

I can always do a "search and replace all" at the end of the translation, but this always makes me a bit uneasy.

Thanks

(1) Go to: http://beijer.uk/cafetran-old-wiki/cafetran.wikidot.com/index.html and click on any of the keywords (links)! Some of the info may be a bit outdated, but the old wiki (courtesy of Hans Lenting, which I also contributed to) is still a veritable treasure trove of information.

(2) And Hans's old site: http://cafetran4mac.blogspot.co.uk/ (also very good!)

(3) There is also Jean Dimitriadis' very own version ("TheCafeTranFiles") @ https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki

(4) And there is of course also the official stuff which Igor is hard at work on @ https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions

Hope this helps!

Michael

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mac or PC? May 25

BabelOn-line wrote:

Hello All,

Thanks

Are you on a Mac or PC? If the latter, I have various tips.

Michael

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Alt May 26

All of the above, plus this as an alternative solution: https://www.chainsawonatireswing.com/2012/10/22/a-list-of-contractions-with-curly-apostrophes-for-textexpander/

Which keyboard layout are you using? If you’re using the US keyboard, you might consider to try the US International PC (!) keyboard on your Mac: it adds some dead keys that will insert some special characters, depending on the next key press.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/120938/wheres-the-us-international-keyboard-on-os-x-10-9-mavericks

http://www.macfreek.nl/memory/Mac_Keyboard_Layout

Note the last two solutions in the article above:

The two Mac OS X applications to edit a keyboard layout are:
– Karabiner, a powerful and stable keyboard customizer for Mac OS X.
– Ukelele, a Unicode Keyboard Layout Editor for Mac OS X.

With these keyboard layout editors you can assign the ´ character to any key on your keyboard.

[Edited at 2018-05-26 06:29 GMT]

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Alt+e May 26

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Alt + Shift + ] should produce a closing single curly quote ( ’ ) = curly/smart apostrophe

On my keyboard I can also use Alt+e, Space to create l´addition.

fba1ehv1pdy04wlazwdx.png

[Edited at 2018-05-26 06:25 GMT]

BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Jean @Hans @Michael May 29

Big – if somewhat collective – thanks

I tend to type the curly quote marks with the usual Mac combination as I go – and they are usually less numerous than say, apostrophes.

Muscle memory is such that i will probably carry on typing my apostrophes with the standard, direct, straight apostrophe from my Mac keyboard and then do a search and replace at the end. I always have a round of final checks for double spaces and suchlike anyway. Was hoping there was a simple route such as a typographic preference change.

Using dead keys is another possible route, thanks for the pointer.

I am now even wondering the wisdom of changing the straight apostrophes into curly (typographically correct) ones for French. Wonder if any one would ever notice the difference. I still have clients who are genuinely unhappy if i do not use the square « quotation marks » but I feel we are a dying breed.

Will also check the other suggested resources. I am really warming up to CafeTran, especially after experiencing SDL haughty disdain for everything Apple (disdainful but not enough to advise you not to buy Trados). This community is really a breath of fresh air.

Again, thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Curly/non curly apostrophe

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search