Encoding of deepl.com from the software is not proper
Thread poster: Sabine Wanner

Sabine Wanner
Germany
Local time: 02:03
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
May 15

Hi, does anyone experience the same problem and/or has a solution for it?

When using the deepl.com interface it seems I get the wrong encoding for my translation.

I get: unterstützen
instead of: unterstützen

All went fine till yesterday. There were no software updates on my side. I am running CafeTran Espresso on Linux (Kubuntu) - maybe there is some kind of setting I changed without noticing?

Thanks for any hint!

All the best, Sabine


 

Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:03
Member
English to French
+ ...
DeepL.com in CTE May 15

Hello Sabine,

I understand you use DeepL’s web interface inside CafeTran, and it produces the wrong encoding in the translated target text.

I can’t reproduce this problem and haven’t encountered it before (Ubuntu here), but here are some ideas that could help troubleshoot/isolate the issue:

First, have you restarted CafeTran and/or your computer since? If not, I suggest you reboot your PC and try again.

Second, what is your CafeTran version number, and the Java version used? This is found in Help > About. This should also show if you use the Java version that is integrated with the software in the latest editions or not.

Third, with the DeepL tab open, go to Resources > Edit resource info.
Do you have Internet address: https://www.deepl.com/translator and Encoding: UTF-8, with no other option or field enabled?

Fourth, can you reproduce this with a different document/project?

Jean


 

Nicolas Gambardella Le Novere
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:03
Member (Apr 2019)
English to French
+ ...
Same here May 16

I have exactly the same problem. DeepL through my web browsers pose no problems at all. Oddly enough it started to occur just a few days ago. Before everything was swell. I did not update Cafetran or Java. So it may have something to do with DeepL API.

Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

CafeTran Espresso 10.3.2. Croissant
Linux verison 4.15.0-48-generic
12 OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM


 

Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:03
Member
English to French
+ ...
Hm May 17

Hello,

Nice to see other GNU/Linux + CafeTran users here!

it seems you use the integrated Java version, so any Java-related update relevant to CTE will only come from a CafeTran update.

The first poster seems to imply the issue occurs with the web version.

The API connection should only come into the picture if you use DeepL via Edit > Preferences > MT services.

Can you confirm it is also the web version that you are talking about?

---

OK, this might require some further investigation from the developper (Igor), but I guess the first thing I would do is update CafeTran to the latest version (Croissant 10.5), and confirm that the issue is still present.

If UTF-8 is used in the resource settings (see my first post), another info I would gather is which locales are currently configured in your Linux installation.

Enter the following command in a Terminal window, and copy the output of:

locale -a

Here's mine:

C
C.UTF-8
en_US.utf-8 (and various other English variants)
fr_FR.utf-8 (and various other French variants)
POSIX

Ubuntu interface language: French.


 

Sabine Wanner
Germany
Local time: 02:03
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe there is something on the deepl.com end, that is different now May 17

Hi all

My first steps indeed were to shut down the computer and restart it. I also re-installed CafeTran (latest available version for Linux).

locale -a gives the correct results.

utf-8 is set correctly.

Maybe deepl.com "understands" when we access via CafeTran using the web interface and that therefore we receive a weird response. When entering the same sentence via CafeTran and Chrome I get two different results: in Chrome with proper spelling in CafeTran I get those weird chars.

IMHO it is an encoding problem.

Have a nice evening for now.

Sabine


 

Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:03
Member
English to French
+ ...
DeepL May 17

If the web resource uses UTF-8, then I think it is the correct encoding for DeepL. Unicode (UTF-8) should support German/French (and many more) characters with no issue.

The DeepL API uses UTF-8 as well: https://www.deepl.com/docs-api.html?part=accessing

I can't think of anything else right now, is it an issue with the integrated browser in Java? If it is, it is weird that I can't reproduce this issue in my own installation, and I use French as my target language.

Maybe CafeTran Espresso's developer or DeepL's support might have an idea.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Encoding of deepl.com from the software is not proper

Advanced search






CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search