Trados doesn\'t recognise TUs that have already been translated
Thread poster: Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
Local time: 01:18
English to French
Apr 8, 2003

Hi,

I\'m translating a document with lots of repetitions but Trados doesn\'t seem to see that I\'ve already translated them.

I\'m working on a file that was sent pre-translated by the client and with Multiterm running.

Billions of thanks in advance to the lovely soul(s) who will take pity on me,

Céline

ps: sorry if this question has been asked before...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:18
English to German
+ ...
What happens, exactly? Apr 8, 2003

Hi Céline,

On a general note, it\'s helpful to provide some system/software info. I assume that you are working on a Word document, using Trados 5.0/5.5.

Quote:

I\'m translating a document with lots of repetitions but Trados doesn\'t seem to see that I\'ve already translated them.

How can you tell? Which match percentage is shown in the Workbench window?

... See more
Hi Céline,

On a general note, it\'s helpful to provide some system/software info. I assume that you are working on a Word document, using Trados 5.0/5.5.

Quote:

Quote:
I\'m working on a file that was sent pre-translated by the client and with Multiterm running.

MT should not have any effect in this context. I assume that your problem is the fact that you don\'t get a green target segment. With a pretranslated document, that would be \'as designed\' unless the segment in your TM is a precise match of the pre-translated segment.

(One of the reasons why I don\'t use pre-translation...)

Not sure if that\'s your problem - HTH if it is. Alternatively, try the TW_users group.

Best regards, Ralf ▲ Collapse

Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, Ralf... Apr 8, 2003

I\'ll try and be more accurate:

I\'m working on a Word document (2000) with Trados 5.5.

Quote:

The Workbench window says 100% match

My problem is indeed that I don\'t get a green target segment. Are you saying that you don\'t get them when you use pretranslated docs? Is there any way to fix that?

... See more
I\'ll try and be more accurate:

I\'m working on a Word document (2000) with Trados 5.5.

Quote:

The Workbench window says 100% match

My problem is indeed that I don\'t get a green target segment. Are you saying that you don\'t get them when you use pretranslated docs? Is there any way to fix that?

Thanks,

Céline
Collapse

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
Reorganise your TM Apr 8, 2003

Hi Céline,

I often saw this problem using Trados. It happens from time to time, and I\'ve been unable to reproduce this little annoying \"bug\" on will.

It seems that only TUs translated during the current session are ignored by search (my guess is that it comes from bad indexing of the TUs). It happens quite often with Team versions of TWB, but saw this from time to time on Freelance versions.

The good news is that I do have a workaround: reo
... See more
Hi Céline,

I often saw this problem using Trados. It happens from time to time, and I\'ve been unable to reproduce this little annoying \"bug\" on will.

It seems that only TUs translated during the current session are ignored by search (my guess is that it comes from bad indexing of the TUs). It happens quite often with Team versions of TWB, but saw this from time to time on Freelance versions.

The good news is that I do have a workaround: reorganise your TM, close it and reopen it. You should now get your 100% matches.

Hope this helps,

Denis

[ This Message was edited by: Denis_Hay on 2003-04-08 10:09]

[ This Message was edited by: Denis_Hay on 2003-04-08 10:10]

[ This Message was edited by: Denis_Hay on 2003-04-08 10:10]
Collapse

Christina Clark
Christina Clark  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
A click with a button Apr 8, 2003

If the above doesn\'t help, you should be able to use the \'Get translation\' button. On your Trados toolbar in Word, it\'s the third button from left.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Christina

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
It is not a 'bug' Apr 8, 2003

It is very handy that it is not green. You haven\'t pretranslated the file so you cannot be 100% sure that the translation is OK. I quite like it when using someone else\'s pretranslated strings to still have the option of checking whether I agree.

Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
To Marijke and the others Apr 8, 2003

Thanks for all your kind advice but it\'s still not working. Marijke, I\'m talking about my translations not being picked up by Trados (I started with an empty TM). Example: Groupe Strategy (on its own) appears about a million times in the document, after having translated the first one I\'d quite like it if all the others popped up automatically (in a green segment).

Any more ideas ?

Céline Graciet
Céline Graciet
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
CDClark! You genius! Apr 8, 2003

All my apologies to CDClark, the \'get\' button indeed works!

Thanks!

Céline

Christina Clark
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Why, thank you! 8-) Apr 8, 2003

It might also help to save the document and close Workbench. When you open it again, Workbench should be able to pick up the 100% matches without you having to use the \'Get translation\' button.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which button do you use? Apr 8, 2003

If you use Open/Get (the opening red bracket with the down arrow) to open a segment, and continue using Set/Close/Open/Get to continue, you shouldn\'t have to separately click on Get.

Best regards, Ralf

Christina Clark
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Oh, but you do... Apr 9, 2003

You do in some instances, Ralf. But I think, as I mentioned above, it an be solved by saving your document and closing your TM and re-opening it.

Regards,

Christina

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sure Apr 9, 2003

Hi Christina,

Quote:

You do in some instances, Ralf.

Yes of course - the button wouldn\'t make sense otherwise. I was referring to the situation described by Céline: if there\'s just one 100% match for the segment, it should be possible to \"get\" it directly (unless the document was pretranslated, and the target in the document differs from the target saved in the TM).

Cheers, R
... See more
Hi Christina,

Quote:

You do in some instances, Ralf.

Yes of course - the button wouldn\'t make sense otherwise. I was referring to the situation described by Céline: if there\'s just one 100% match for the segment, it should be possible to \"get\" it directly (unless the document was pretranslated, and the target in the document differs from the target saved in the TM).

Cheers, Ralf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados doesn\'t recognise TUs that have already been translated

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »