Thread poster: ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:07
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 12, 2003

Hello,

does somebody do that? The newest verison of SDLX is able to create ttx files, and open them of course...

Does somebody use SDLX instead of Trados?

Like I have two new clients and one delivers SDLX pre-segmented and the other ttx I thought of buying only SDLX which would be much cheaper....( 400€ instead of 695€)

Any experience with this?

Thanks

Natália

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:07
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
SDLX is 100% Trados compatible Apr 12, 2003

Hi,

Both SDLX 4.2.1 and SDLX 2003 can handle Trados files. If your client prefers uncleaned files, you need to have a pre-segmented file you can then import into SDLX Edit setting as segmentation rule \"Trados Style Default\".

You can do it both using the SDLX Project wizard or directly from SDLX Edit. I use the wizard inside Edit and it always works fine.

Once your translation is ready, you only need to click on \"create\" and you\'
... See more
Hi,

Both SDLX 4.2.1 and SDLX 2003 can handle Trados files. If your client prefers uncleaned files, you need to have a pre-segmented file you can then import into SDLX Edit setting as segmentation rule \"Trados Style Default\".

You can do it both using the SDLX Project wizard or directly from SDLX Edit. I use the wizard inside Edit and it always works fine.

Once your translation is ready, you only need to click on \"create\" and you\'ll have an uncleaned file in MS Word.

I prefer SDLX when dealing with *.xml files full of HTML code and saved as *.rtf files, as SDLX \"hides\" all code (you can only see segments in different colors according to the different code) and I can work more quickly.

Even SDLX TMs can be exported to \"Trados\" or \"File list to Trados\" (or simply as a *.TXT).

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by: docgy on 2003-04-12 19:09]
Collapse

Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:07
English to Chinese
+ ...
SDLX 2003 is a super tool to replace Trados Apr 13, 2003

recently I just used SDLX 2003 to process a TTX project and SDLX worked perfectly. Usaully SDLX is more stable and easy to operate. however, you must have trados or its demo to check whether the output is completely correct. sometimes, SDLX can\'t reopen the file saved by tageditor.

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
English to French
99% Apr 13, 2003

no tool is 100% to Trados 5.5, since it uses encrypted TMs for 5.5 as a \"compatibility enhancement\".

ncfialho (X)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados and SDLX? Apr 13, 2003

Hello,

does that mean I have to buy both pograms? Are you kidding...only to proof if Trados is able to open the SDLX made files???

Hope not..

Regards,

Natália

sylver
English to French
Nope... Apr 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-13 09:09, ncfialho wrote:

Hello,

does that mean I have to buy both pograms? Are you kidding...only to proof if Trados is able to open the SDLX made files???

Hope not..

Regards,

Natália

Just download the demo from their site. It\'s free, if you can stomach the 90Mb bloatware that need to come throught that internet connexion of yours. That\'s quit... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-13 09:09, ncfialho wrote:

Hello,

Hope not..

Regards,

Natália

Just download the demo from their site. It\'s free, if you can stomach the 90Mb bloatware that need to come throught that internet connexion of yours. That\'s quite enough to check if your file opens fine. Actually, that demo is a nice little \"freeware\", when thinking of it. Collapse

ncfialho (X)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados download Apr 14, 2003

OK, thanks to my DSL connection wont be a big problem, but if the file I created for some reason won\'t open what can I do???

Try it again with SDLX????

Thnaks for all your help and I wish you a good week

Natália

ncfialho (X)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I downloaded Trados Apr 14, 2003

...but I am not able to open the ttx file...how does that work ..what application do I have to use to open ttx files???

Sorry for all my questions...

Thanks,

Natália

sylver
English to French
Try again... ;-) Apr 14, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-14 07:48, ncfialho wrote:

OK, thanks to my DSL connection wont be a big problem, but if the file I created for some reason won\'t open what can I do???

Natália

Well I can not speak much for SDLX, but you can have compatibility issues from Trados to Trados as well ... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-14 07:48, ncfialho wrote:

Natália

Well I can not speak much for SDLX, but you can have compatibility issues from Trados to Trados as well

You have to find out how it is done and what can cause the problem. I can not give much of an advice in regards to SDLX\'s handling of TTX, but as an example, failures to import other TMs in Trados mostly come from incorrect language codes. (Then, it\'s just a matter of correcting them)

If you are planning to work with Trados projects, either you have to find out what can cause incompatibility, or fork out $$$ to get your very own copy of trados and progressively find out that you also need to know what can cause incompatibilities. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX to translate Trados files?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »