Import PROZ-Glossaries into Trados etc.
Thread poster: Oliver Behrendt
Oliver Behrendt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:59
Spanish to German
+ ...
May 28, 2008

Does anybody know how to import the glossaries on PROZ.COM into a CAT-Tool? How can I copy and paste the glossary into a text program to convert it into ".txt"and to import then into Trados etc.?
My problem is, that I have no idea how to mark the glossary items of proz, since there are 3 columns, and the last one (that means: the name of the proz-member who has added the entry) is uninteresting when importing a glossary into a cat-tool.
What is the best way?
Or are there any other websites and resources which provide a high number of glossaries?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 21:59
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Use copy and paste May 28, 2008

I just copied the text from a glossary in my browser and pasted it into an Excel worksheet. It got automatically split in four columns. The only problem was when a cell in the source HTML contained more than 1 row - then the entry got messed up in Excel and would need some fixing.
It turned out that I can even paste in a simple text editor (Notepad for this experiment) - the text is tab-separated. However, in this case removal of the extra columns would be virtually impossible and they'll have to be skipped at the importing stage.

FarkasAndras
Local time: 20:59
English to Hungarian
+ ...
easy Jun 1, 2008

Pasting into excel works, best for me, and some clever back-and-forth copying between excel, ms word and notepad always sorts out any problems.
Eg. when you get the wrong cell distribution (divided cells) you can paste the whole thing into notepad, copy it back and voila, all cells are 1 row high. Notepad also shaves off all the facy fonts, bolding, hyperlinks, background colours, unifies font size etc. Word is good because it has a solid S&R function; ^p is enter (new line in excel) and ^t is "new cell".

I just checked a random glossary from proz. Paste into excel, delete extra columns, copy rest over to notepad and then back to excel seems to work perfectly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import PROZ-Glossaries into Trados etc.

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search