CSV to TMX conver: "Could not create Java virtual machine"?!
Thread poster: Alain Dellepiane
Alain Dellepiane
Alain Dellepiane  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:56
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 27, 2008

Hi all,

I've been using Maxprogram's CSV to TMX conver for a couple of years and with great satisfaction, quickly building TM of everything I come across.

Alas, from this morning, it refuses to start with the warning "Could not create Java virtual machine".

I thought a recent update of Java and the installation of Kaspersky were the culprits, but rolling back the former and disabling the latter got me no result...

And, strangely enough, the sam
... See more
Hi all,

I've been using Maxprogram's CSV to TMX conver for a couple of years and with great satisfaction, quickly building TM of everything I come across.

Alas, from this morning, it refuses to start with the warning "Could not create Java virtual machine".

I thought a recent update of Java and the installation of Kaspersky were the culprits, but rolling back the former and disabling the latter got me no result...

And, strangely enough, the same issues applies to all the other tools in the suite except one: "CSV to TBX converter". Needless to say, all my other Java programs work flawlessly.

Anyone had a similar issue or knows a workaround? I start to miss my converter

Cheers!
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:56
English to Spanish
Not enough memory Jul 27, 2008

Hi Alain,

This happens when Windows tells Java that there isn't enough memory to run the program.

The program asks Java to reserve up to 1 GB of memory (virtual or real RAM), but it doesn't mean that all that memory will be used. But Windows says that it does not have enough memory, real or virtual.

The most probable reason why Windows doesn't have virtual memory now when it was available before is that your hard disk is too fragmented or too full.
<
... See more
Hi Alain,

This happens when Windows tells Java that there isn't enough memory to run the program.

The program asks Java to reserve up to 1 GB of memory (virtual or real RAM), but it doesn't mean that all that memory will be used. But Windows says that it does not have enough memory, real or virtual.

The most probable reason why Windows doesn't have virtual memory now when it was available before is that your hard disk is too fragmented or too full.

Try freeing some space and defragmenting the disk. If it doesn't work, send an email to [email protected] and ask for a batch file that lets you start the program with less memory requirements.

Regards,
Rodolfo
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:56
English to Turkish
+ ...
Same problem here Jul 27, 2008

Windows XP Pro SP3
23 GB free space in drive C
2 GB RAM
disk defragmented
latest java build installed (java 6, update 7)

I tried to uninstall and then reinstall but the same error message: Could not create the Java virtual machine

[Edited at 2008-07-27 14:50]

Alain Dellepiane
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope... Jul 27, 2008

Hi Rodolfo,

Thanx for the reply, but don't think it's a memory problem, as I have 23 GB free on disk (and 2 of physical memory). After all the other Java apps (including Maxprograms' CSV>TBX) work fine...

Selcuk Akyuz, I have an idea. Reach the command menu, type Dxdiag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dxdiag) and then click "Save all information". This should create a profile
... See more
Hi Rodolfo,

Thanx for the reply, but don't think it's a memory problem, as I have 23 GB free on disk (and 2 of physical memory). After all the other Java apps (including Maxprograms' CSV>TBX) work fine...

Selcuk Akyuz, I have an idea. Reach the command menu, type Dxdiag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dxdiag) and then click "Save all information". This should create a profile of your machine: we can then send both to Maxprograms and see if they have a minute to help us.
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
You have memory problems Jul 28, 2008

Alain Dellepiane wrote:

Thanx for the reply, but don't think it's a memory problem, as I have 23 GB free on disk (and 2 of physical memory).

How much free memory does Windows report? You can check it in Windows Task Manager, in the Performance tab.

If you search "Could not create Java virtual machine" an Google you will discover that this is a common problem that happens when you try to run a Java program in computers that don't have enough memory available to Java.

After all the other Java apps (including Maxprograms' CSV>TBX) work fine...

TBXMaker's executable requests 500MB to Windows. CSVConverter requests 1GB.

You will have to launch CSVConverter using a .bat file.

Create a file named "csvconverter.bat" in the directory where you installed CSVConverter and put the fllowing content in it:

Code:
java -Xmx500M -cp "lib\csvconverter.jar;lib\resolver.jar;lib\xml-apis.jar;lib\xercesImpl.jar;lib\Win32\swt.jar" com.maxprograms.csv2tmx.CSVConverter

Double click on the .bat file to launch CSVConverter with 500MB

Regards,
Rodolfo

Alain Dellepiane
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting message Jul 28, 2008

>How much free memory does Windows report? You can check it in Windows Task Manager, in the Performance tab.

Thanx for you help. Just to be sure I ran the program all alone on the system

(From Task manager)
Physiscal Memory (K)
Total 1441200
Available 922656
System cache 783320

(From Dxdiag)
Memory: 1408MB RAM
Page File: 542MB used, 2760MB available

But, even with 3600MB of available memory (900 of wich of ph
... See more
>How much free memory does Windows report? You can check it in Windows Task Manager, in the Performance tab.

Thanx for you help. Just to be sure I ran the program all alone on the system

(From Task manager)
Physiscal Memory (K)
Total 1441200
Available 922656
System cache 783320

(From Dxdiag)
Memory: 1408MB RAM
Page File: 542MB used, 2760MB available

But, even with 3600MB of available memory (900 of wich of physical) and sitting on a disk with just 3% of fragmentation, the program still doesn't start.

>Double click on the .bat file to launch CSVConverter with 500MB

Unfortunately, the app still crashes and quits. However, the error message (taken from the terminal window) is quite interesting

C:\Program Files\Maxprograms Utilities>csvconverter.bat
C:\Program Files\Maxprograms Utilities>java -Xmx500M -cp "lib\csvconverter.jar;l
ib\resolver.jar;lib\xml-apis.jar;li b\xercesImpl.jar;lib\Win32\swt.jar" com.maxp
rograms.csv2tmx.CSVConverter
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/heartsome/xml/SAX
Builder

Maybe we can report that one too. Can anyone else try Rodolfo's script and let us know how it goes?

Thank you!
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
memory problems? Jul 28, 2008

(From Task manager)
Physical Memory (K)
Total 2095148
Available 1619816
System cache 460220

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
Memory Jul 28, 2008

Hi,

Windows can't give Java the memory Java requested. It doesn't matter if you have plenty of RAM, Windows doesn't give it to Java.

Do a Google search and you'll find tons of references to this problem in multiple Java applications.

You can fix the problem by running the program with less memory. The script I posted yesterday is for version 1.0-10 (the new one with green squares in the icon, not the old one with an eye in the icon).

Here is t
... See more
Hi,

Windows can't give Java the memory Java requested. It doesn't matter if you have plenty of RAM, Windows doesn't give it to Java.

Do a Google search and you'll find tons of references to this problem in multiple Java applications.

You can fix the problem by running the program with less memory. The script I posted yesterday is for version 1.0-10 (the new one with green squares in the icon, not the old one with an eye in the icon).

Here is the script for older versions:

Code:

java -Xmx500M -cp "lib\csvconverter.jar;lib\hslibrary.jar;lib\hshelp.jar;lib\Win32\swt.jar;lib\resolver.jar;lib\xml-apis.jar;lib\xercesImpl.jar" com.maxprograms.csv2tmx.CSVConverter

Hope this helps,
Rodolfo
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
How can I uninstall the program Jul 28, 2008

Hi Rodolfo,

I don't know what the problem is, but it was working without any problems before. There is no problem with the other software which require Java. I now want to uninstall the program, but again the same error message: Could not create the Java virtual machine

I wonder if this problem occurs only with Maxprogram utilities or not? What about Swordfish, any java related problems?

[Edited at 2008-07-28 15:49]

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
Uninstall script Jul 28, 2008

Hi,

Save this script in a .bat file and you will be able to uninstall the programs:

Code:

java -Xmx500M -cp "installdata\install.jar;lib\Win32\swt.jar;installdata\jdom.jar" com.maxprograms.installer.Uninstall

Regards,
Rodolfo

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks Sep 7, 2008

No problem with the new version of Maxprograms Utilities. Thanks Rodolfo.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CSV to TMX conver: "Could not create Java virtual machine"?!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »