XML - can anyone recommend software to help me colour code/manage the translatable parts?
Thread poster: Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 21:28
Portuguese to English
Aug 15, 2008

Hi,

I've been searching through previous Proz.com posts to find some information on how to deal with XML and HTML codes. I have an XML document open in Notepad. Is there any programme (free if possible!) that will colour code the parts that need translating? Or something that will minimize the chance of me inadvertently interfering with the code?

Any tips would be really welcome, as this format is new to me!! (luckily the subject area is familar!!)

Philli
... See more
Hi,

I've been searching through previous Proz.com posts to find some information on how to deal with XML and HTML codes. I have an XML document open in Notepad. Is there any programme (free if possible!) that will colour code the parts that need translating? Or something that will minimize the chance of me inadvertently interfering with the code?

Any tips would be really welcome, as this format is new to me!! (luckily the subject area is familar!!)

Phillippa

[Edited at 2008-08-15 19:49]
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:28
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
A CAT tool, if not that, Notepad++ (freeware) Aug 15, 2008

Phillippa Bennett wrote:

Is there any programme (free if possible!) that will colour code the parts that need translating? Or something that will minimize the chance of me inadvertently interfering with the code?

I would recommend that you use a CAT tool - if for some reason you don't want to do that, use a programmer's editor. A good freeware one is Notepad++.

While a programmer's editor such as Notepad++ will not protect the markup, it will color code it, thus making it easier to distinguish code from translatable text.

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 21:28
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 15, 2008

Thanks very much Riccardo, just about to check that out. I have someone who will check the markup for me afterwards in this case - but this sounds great for distinguishing between the text and the code.

Phillippa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XML - can anyone recommend software to help me colour code/manage the translatable parts?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »