https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/115000-which_cats_can_password_protect_the_tm.html

Which CATs can password protect the TM?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:21
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 11, 2008

Hi all,

This is a follow-up from a question I posted two years ago:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/57768-which_cat_tools_can_password_protect_a_tm.html

Typically, an agency with an existing TM (built up by inhouse translators) would want to send it to a freelancer, but only with read
... See more
Hi all,

http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/57768-which_cat_tools_can_password_protect_a_tm.html

Typically, an agency with an existing TM (built up by inhouse translators) would want to send it to a freelancer, but only with read-write access right, restricting the freelancer from exporting it. The agency wants to protect the data that doesn't belong to the freelancer - this is common sense.

The clever thing about Trados is the ability restricting the rights on several levels, ie one level for using the TM as a translator, another level unlocks the import/export functionality. My understanding is that only Trados still supports this?

Is there any market overview which CAT tools support password protected TMs?

I know, from a translator's point of view, these passwords are just a pain in the a**!

But it's good to know alternatives to Trados, if I'd like to encourage an agency to switch.

This monopoly is not healthy for either part of the market...

/J

PS. Read the previous thread for the solutions offered back in 2006.

[Edited at 2008-09-11 13:57]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:21
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 offers a TM protection Sep 11, 2008

as you correctly noted.
There is also a password protection by SDLX. ou can set it up in the SDL Maintain module.
As for other tools my knowledge is limited, as I do not use Transit and Across as full version, so have also no access to a TM creation/maintenance.

Best regards
Jerzy

BTW, when sending data to a freelancer, I would in the first line use the ability to create "Project TM" to send only the necessary data.

[Edited at 2008-09-11 20:38]

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:21
German to English
+ ...
Trados WB passwords Sep 11, 2008

Look for a tool called "TMPwdRec.exe" (http://www.kakeeware.com/i_tmpwdrec.php) and you'll find it useful in dealing with passworded TMs. I found this when someone did me the favor of sending a TM I was "locked out" of and I couldn't get hold of the person to resolve matters. Seems to work OK with v7.x TMs, haven't tried it on v8 of Workbench.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
Trados 2006 passwords easily retrieved Sep 11, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Look for a tool called "TMPwdRec.exe" (http://www.kakeeware.com/i_tmpwdrec.php) and you'll find it useful in dealing with passworded TMs. I found this when someone did me the favor of sending a TM I was "locked out" of and I couldn't get hold of the person to resolve matters. Seems to work OK with v7.x TMs, haven't tried it on v8 of Workbench.

Yes, it takes only one second for this tool to retrieve Trados passwords. But I have Trados 2006 and did not check it with the latest version. Can somebody check it with the latest Trados version?

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:22
French to Polish
+ ...
Trados 2007 SP2 too :) Sep 15, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Yes, it takes only one second for this tool to retrieve Trados passwords. But I have Trados 2006 and did not check it with the latest version. Can somebody check it with the latest Trados version?

Yes, it works as a charm

BTW.
AFAIR, 'till T5.5x the password was stored in plain text somewhere in the first bytes in the TWM file (the same in the Multiterm 5.x).
Unlike in well designed programs, the protection works only at the access level, the data still aren't encrypted, so if you overwrite/decrypt these bytes, it's no protection at all
And it seems the T. programmers use a very weak encryption algorithm for the passwords.

I'm not very surprised of the quality of their programming

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:22
French to Polish
+ ...
Some general remarks and a suggestion (DVX)... Sep 15, 2008

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

Yes, I see.
I think the response of Rodolfo Raya is still valid.
All depends of the DB engine and of the implementation.

E.g. the Trados engine is simply unable to encrypt data.
The MS Jet engines (e,g, SDLX) may be protected but generally the implementation is not correct and you can bypass the protection using other tools.
All the SQL servers may offer a good protection level (if configured properly) but you need a separate server to enforce the security (i.e. you don't give the TMs to the translators and it's exactly the opposite of your goal).

So, IMHO only the server based tools offer a high protection level because almost all file based TMs can be rather easily "hacked".

Typically, an agency with an existing TM (built up by inhouse translators) would want to send it to a freelancer, but only with read-write access right, restricting the freelancer from exporting it. The agency wants to protect the data that doesn't belong to the freelancer - this is common sense.

The clever thing about Trados is the ability restricting the rights on several levels, ie one level for using the TM as a translator, another level unlocks the import/export functionality. My understanding is that only Trados still supports this?

No, you're wrong

Is there any market overview which CAT tools support password protected TMs?

Of course
In fact, most LAN enabled tools but the protection may be weak for an intelligent user.

I know, from a translator's point of view, these passwords are just a pain in the a**!

But it's good to know alternatives to Trados, if I'd like to encourage an agency to switch.

See DVX Workgroup although the MS Jet implementation is not perfect.
You can restrict the export/import (unlike in Trados, separately i.e the translator can import his own dato to the TM if you permit it).
You can declare the languages pairs available for the translator.
Of course, the administrator/user access levels are available too.
You can export TM/termbase subsets for your project (based on the match level and on the language).
Yu can easily create and manage satllite packages for translators (unlike in Synergy Client).

I should take a closer look on MemoQ.

This monopoly is not healthy for either part of the market...

No comments.

PS. Read the previous thread for the solutions offered back in 2006.

No major changes.
Except the mention of the DVX features available since 2004.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-09-15 10:39]

Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:22
English to French
+ ...
Wordfast Oct 3, 2008

From the tutorial I took on Wordfast at the Montreal venue, Wordfast allows TM protection and, in fact, is that not to proptect the translator's intellectual property, so I don't understand why it would be a pain in in the translator's anywhere.
Sure when the agencies lock, we can't use TMs (that we ourselves created sometimes) on different jobs, but I believed this was because I don't yet know how to pull together and transfer the various TMs into a new global personal TM for example. ... See more
From the tutorial I took on Wordfast at the Montreal venue, Wordfast allows TM protection and, in fact, is that not to proptect the translator's intellectual property, so I don't understand why it would be a pain in in the translator's anywhere.
Sure when the agencies lock, we can't use TMs (that we ourselves created sometimes) on different jobs, but I believed this was because I don't yet know how to pull together and transfer the various TMs into a new global personal TM for example.

I need quite a few more tutorials, but this discussion interests me.
Thanks
Best Regards
Ode
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CATs can password protect the TM?

Translation news related to CAT tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »