What software do I need to read Japanese on -line?
Thread poster: Kentucky
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Local time: 20:46
Japanese to English
Jan 29, 2002

I want to get re-established in Japanese translation after a ten year break. There is a lot of technical stuff I don\'t know!! I have been offered Japanese word processing software Ichiro 6.3. Will this allow me to convert the code-like text I get from websites into real Japanese text? All advice most welcome.

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:46
German to English
+ ...
Several possibilities Jan 30, 2002

I am using several computers, and I can tell you that using Japanese on an English computer became easier to handle, but is still somtimes a pain in the butt, because it creates unexpected crashes.

First, if you only want to view web pages, you can use the \"NJStar Asian Explorer\", which is free (http://www.njstar.com/).

This company also has a reader, the \"NJStar CJK
... See more
I am using several computers, and I can tell you that using Japanese on an English computer became easier to handle, but is still somtimes a pain in the butt, because it creates unexpected crashes.

First, if you only want to view web pages, you can use the \"NJStar Asian Explorer\", which is free (http://www.njstar.com/).

This company also has a reader, the \"NJStar CJK Viewer NJWin\" that, for example, allows you to read Japanese (or Korean or Chines) e-mails in your English Eudora or other e-mail client, though this is sometimes only possible with tricks, depending on the different coding.

Recently I have found that Windows also offers a module for Japanese (Japanese IME; you can download it from http://www.go-asia.net/netcafe/), which allows you not only to read Japanese websites with e.g. Netscape 6.0, but even write simple stuff, like e-mails in web-based e-mail clients like excite.co.jp\'s mail system and even in your English Word (!). I can switch now with \"Shift-ALt\" between German, English and Japanese!

It is not as slick as a regular Japanese WP, mainly because of the limitations of our Romaji-based 101-key keyboard, but if you know, what you are doing, it is quite handy, not to have to jump to the computer with the Japanese OS to jot down a couple of lines in Kanji.

HTH
Collapse

Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Local time: 20:46
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Hans-Henning! Jan 31, 2002

You are a great help. Thanks, Ally

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What software do I need to read Japanese on -line?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »