TM compatibility
Thread poster: schnelly_83
schnelly_83
schnelly_83
German to English
Feb 11, 2009

Hello Proz Forums,
My company is currently using 4 translation suppliers. Three of them support Trados(different versions) and one uses Deja vu. Do they have the capability to produce a TM file that could be utilized openly between them? I am looking for the ability to move projects between suppliers without having to start over from scratch. Thanks for your help.

Terry

[Edited at 2009-02-11 16:35 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:06
English to Turkish
+ ...
Not 100 percent but possible Feb 12, 2009

In my opinion the main problem is the use of different versions of Trados, unfortunately they are not compatible with each other most of the time. You may work with other translators who use SDLX, Across, Wordfast, MetaTexis and Transit as well. So the first question to be asked is what is your CAT program?

As for Deja Vu compatibility, it is not a problem. Although I have both Trados and Deja Vu X, I always use Deja Vu, even for translation of Trados (TagEditor) files.

... See more
In my opinion the main problem is the use of different versions of Trados, unfortunately they are not compatible with each other most of the time. You may work with other translators who use SDLX, Across, Wordfast, MetaTexis and Transit as well. So the first question to be asked is what is your CAT program?

As for Deja Vu compatibility, it is not a problem. Although I have both Trados and Deja Vu X, I always use Deja Vu, even for translation of Trados (TagEditor) files.

If your CAT tool is Deja Vu X (Workgroup version), you can send satellite files to Deja Vu users and Trados RTF files to the translators who use different versions of Trados. Deja Vu has a FREE editor version as well. So if your CAT is Deja Vu you can ask those translators who use Trados to download and use this free version.

If your CAT tool is Trados, then you can send TTX (TagEditor) files to Deja Vu users. No problem, I can even say that translation of TTX files in Deja Vu is much more faster.

The problem is with Trados again. Older versions of Trados are not compatible with the latest version of TTX (TagEditor) files. For instance Trados 6.5 can not open a TTX file or Translation Memory created by Trados 2007.

Selcuk
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:06
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In such a situation, Feb 12, 2009

export/import of TMX seems to be the only viable option for exchanging translation memories. As for entire projects, I doubt, there is any solution.

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
Local time: 22:06
English to German
One Solution Feb 13, 2009

There is one solution, however, it is a bit time-intensive from a management point of view. In my day job as translation team leader for a corporate translation group, I used this for a while, until I was done switching to another product from SDL.

Here it goes.

The following assumptions are being made:

A) You are using only one vendor at a time

B) All vendors using diferent versions of Trados

C) You have one master database to col
... See more
There is one solution, however, it is a bit time-intensive from a management point of view. In my day job as translation team leader for a corporate translation group, I used this for a while, until I was done switching to another product from SDL.

Here it goes.

The following assumptions are being made:

A) You are using only one vendor at a time

B) All vendors using diferent versions of Trados

C) You have one master database to collect the translations

D) Vendors deliver not only the translated material but also the TMX file at the end of each project.

1. Find out wich versions are in use with each vendor.

2. Once you have the information, have the vendor send you the TMX file for the project.

3. You import the TMX into your master database.

4. When you export the TM to make available to the vendor, use the lowest version export possible. By lowest version, I mean the oldest version in use by the vendor, AKA the common denominator.

5. Send this TMX file out to the next vendor with the next project.

6. Repeat for each project.

While this is a challenge from a managerial point of view, its as close as you can get it in such a situation.

Uwe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM compatibility

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »