Melissa Mann  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:36
Member (2009)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 21, 2009

Ok. Here is the mess:

A) The client sent me a .pdf file with tons and tons of graphics, a .ttx file and .tmw file.
B) I have a new Mac (yeah!!!) and no CAT tools installed (yet).
C) I have worked with memories, tagged files, .pdfs, blah blah blah.

What CAT tools and conversion programs must I install on my MAC to translate my client's .pdf file and provide a memory and tagged file?

I am not as concerned about price as I am about flow (least number of conversions and minimum fiddling).

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Use Swordfish to translate TTX on Mac May 21, 2009

Hi,

You can use Swordfish on your Mac to translate the TTX provided by your client. After translating, you will be able to deliver a completed TTX file and a TMX export.

As you have a TTX, you don't need special converters to process the PDF. Use it as reference material when you need context.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:36
German to Spanish
My workaround May 22, 2009

1) Install Parallels/Virtual Box/VMware Fusion
2) Install Windows XP
3) Install a CAT

For PDF I use Readiris in Mac

Yes ther are some CATs for Mac, like Swordfish, Wordfast Pro... But, no diccionaries

I use Tageditor to avoid problems.

Regards

[Edited at 2009-05-22 12:14 GMT]

Melissa Mann  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2009)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 25, 2009

Hi Fernando and Rodolfo,

Thank you for the suggestions!

While I am aware of Parallels, I just hate using it. I am pretty bent on just running things in my Mac environment alone. I testing out Swordfish and Stingray and really liked them. The files the client sent me were corrupted, so I ended up having to skip the project, but I needed to get this in order no matter what, so I finally did jump in to Swordfish. I can see where the non-compatability issues lie (spec. importing memories) but I am looking for ways to work with clients to export files in more universal languages so our system can "talk".

Thank you once again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting everything from Trados/PDF and working on Mac

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search