Exporting Trados to Excel
Thread poster: SVarley (X)
SVarley (X)
SVarley (X)
Local time: 23:08
English
Aug 26, 2003

Can anyone help me, Client needs to view and comment on TUs in an Excel file (Clients can be such fun cant they )

Does anyone know how to export without the tags etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon Varley
[email protected]

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:08
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
It is possible... Aug 26, 2003

SVarley wrote:
...snip...

The conversion that you need is not immediate but definitely possible, you just need to work a bit in Word.
I'll try to describe briefly the procedure.

• Export your Translation Memory (TM) from Trados in txt format.
    You will obtain a txt file containing a number of lines for each translation unit (TU).

• Delete the section starting with RTF Preamble and containing all style and font information. The closing tag is /RTF Preamble. You should keep just the section containing the TU, having a format similar to the following example:

(I have repalced the angular brackets with square brackets, otherwise they disappear, ok?)

[TrU]
    [CrD]17052002, 16:39:11
    [CrU]GFM
    [Seg L=EN-GB]Summer 2002
    [Seg L=IT-IT]Estate 2002
    [/TrU]

• Count the lines for each TU. They all start with [TrU] and end with [/TrU], include these two lines in your count. In the example the TU contains 6 lines. (and they have angular brackets, not square!)

• Open the txt file in Word, select all its content and convert text to a table. When asked the number of columns input the number of lines forming a TU (6 in our case)

• Once the file is converted to a table, delete all columns and keep only the columns containing the actual source and target strings.

• At this point you have a table in two columns. Replace the language tags with 'nothing' and you are left with a table containing only source and target text.

• Select this table and paste in Excel. You should obtain a tidy two column table in Excel.

I hope to have understood your needs and that this technique is helpful. It is much easier to do than to describe.

Good luck
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-08-27 07:02]

SVarley (X)
SVarley (X)
Local time: 23:08
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gianfranco Aug 26, 2003

I will give it a try

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

SVarley wrote:
...snip...

The conversion that you need is not immediate but definitely possible, you just need to work a bit in Word.
I'll try to describe briefly the procedure.

• Export your Trnslatoin Memory (TM) from Trados in txt format. You will obtain a txt file containing a number of lines for each translation unit (TU).
  • Delete the section starting with and containing all style and font information. The closing tag is . You should keep just the section containing the TU, having a format similar to the following example:

(I have repalced the angular brackets with square brackets, otherwise they disappear, ok?)

[TrU]
    [CrD]17052002, 16:39:11
    [CrU]GFM
    [Seg L=EN-GB]Summer 2002
    [Seg L=IT-IT]Estate 2002
    [/TrU]

• Count the lines for each TU. They all start with [TrU] and end with [/TrU], include these two lines in your count. In the example the TU contains 6 lines. (and they have angular brackest!! not square !!)
  • Open the txt file in Word, select all its content and convert text to a table. When asked the number of columns input the number of lines forming a TU (6 in our case)
  • Once the file is converted to a table, delete all columns and keep only the columns containing the actual source and target strings.
    {*] At this point you have a table in two columns. Replace the language tags with 'nothing' and you are left with a table containing only source and target text.
  • Select this table and paste in Excel. You should obtain a tidy two column table in Excel.

I hope to have understood your needs and to be helpful.
It is much easier to do than to describe.

Good luck
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-08-26 13:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting Trados to Excel

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »