Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Transit NXT Freelance Pro vs. Trados Studio 2009 Freelance functionality comparison?
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:17
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
Jun 17, 2009

Hello, does there exist some webpage with an overview of which of these two CAT (in the mentioned versions, without any add-ons) is able to deliver better and/or more?

Thank you...

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Not a website, but personal experience Jun 17, 2009

I own and have been using both.

My personal preference is strongly with NXT; I am not sure my subjective views are that interesting for the forum; but if you are interested in them, my e-mail is [email protected]

Antonin

Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Autosuggest vs dual fuzzy Jun 17, 2009

Hello,

I would also be interested about a comparison between Autosuggest and dual fuzzy. Which is more powerful, what are differences, etc.

Regards

Noe

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Only little experience with NXT... Jun 17, 2009

...but if I may comment on a few things:
1) Target fuzzy (NXT) vs. AutoSuggest (TS09)
a. The main difference between them is that TNXT creates suggestions on the fly (sort of an authoring memory), while in TS09 you have to create an AutoSuggest dictionary first which is not updated continuously - at least not AFAIK.
b. In TS09 the AutoSuggest refers both to the TM and to the termbase; that means you get automatic suggestions from your termbase as you type too.

2) T
... See more
...but if I may comment on a few things:
1) Target fuzzy (NXT) vs. AutoSuggest (TS09)
a. The main difference between them is that TNXT creates suggestions on the fly (sort of an authoring memory), while in TS09 you have to create an AutoSuggest dictionary first which is not updated continuously - at least not AFAIK.
b. In TS09 the AutoSuggest refers both to the TM and to the termbase; that means you get automatic suggestions from your termbase as you type too.

2) Term recognition
a. AFAIK, in TNXT you have to press a shortcut or click on the term in the term recognition pane to retrieve the term. This is not necessary in TS09 where you receive suggestions as you type (see 1 a.). But I may be exactly wrong about this one; maybe Antonín, as an experienced TNXT user, could correct me.
b. In TNXT you can hold down the SHIFT key and click on the terms in the term recognition pane to toggle between lower and UPPER case. Not possible in TS09.

3) TMs
I'm not that familiar with TNXT, but what I hated in Tr. XV was the "reference documents" concept (a preference thing, though). What I like is having my files organized in the way I want them, i.e. all TMs and TDBs separately.
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
a correction Jun 17, 2009

Technically I was right (I do own SDLT 2009) but I have not installed and activated SDL 2009 yet and will wait some time before I do it. So my comparison is based on SDL 2007 and I cannot say antyhing about AutoSuggest.

The dual concordance in TNXT works as the documentation promises, i.e. without any glitches I know of.

I bought TNXT in December 2008 and have been using it continusouly since that time, with occasional instances of using SDLT 2007.

A few remarks:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

2) Term recognition
a. AFAIK, in TNXT you have to press a shortcut or click on the term in the term recognition pane to retrieve the term. This is not necessary in TS09 where you receive suggestions as you type (see 1 a.). But I may be exactly wrong about this one; maybe Antonín, as an experienced TNXT user, could correct me.

You are right. I like it this way. Hitting Alt+T anywhere within the term will replace it with its translation, Shift+Alt+T will simulaneously swap the first letter's capitalisation. Being as habitual animal as any human, I got used to it easily.

3) TMs
I'm not that familiar with TNXT, but what I hated in Tr. XV was the "reference documents" concept (a preference thing, though). What I like is having my files organized in the way I want them, i.e. all TMs and TDBs separately.

Actually, you can (but definitely do not have to) create reference files in Transit; the main idea of Transit is that you use the "language pairs" (each consisting of the original file and the translated file) in lieu of what other CAT tools call TM - this way you get a lot of flexibility in which actual pairs you want to include/exclude as reference for a particular project. You may or may not believe me, but IMHO it is a huge advantage.

Should you have, say, 10 plus files on very smilar topics from one customer, you may streamline by creating a "reference extract" (more or less it means deleting duplicate segments) and use this extract instead of the original 10 pairs. I seldom do it, but it may have its merits if you have a lot of very similar jobs.

Antonin

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Fine as long the source word ist still there... Jun 17, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:
A few remarks:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

2) Term recognition

You are right. I like it this way. Hitting Alt+T anywhere within the term will replace it with its translation, Shift+Alt+T will simulaneously swap the first letter's capitalisation. Being as habitual animal as any human, I got used to it easily.

But when the source word is already overwritten with target or I do need to place it in a very different place, I do not see any advantage of this way of using term recognition. That's why I do prefer the way placeables (and terminology) are treated by SDL Trados 2007 - you can have them as many times you want wherever you want. Unfortunately placing placeables has been made worse in Trados 2009 Studio, but using terminology is now much better due to AutoSuggest.

Best regards
Jerzy

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Reported bugs Jun 17, 2009

Jerzy wrote:
Unfortunately placing placeables has been made worse in Trados 2009 Studio, but using terminology is now much better due to AutoSuggest.

I have reported several bugs in placeables and SDL are already dealing with them. According to Paul, they are preparing a major bug fix.

@Antonín: Yes, I can see that the reference extracts etc. do have some benefits, but I have always been a little confused about the whole scheme of them. Maybe I'm just to lazy to learn a concept different from that I am used to working with.

Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Placeables in Transit Jun 17, 2009

That's why I do prefer the way placeables (and terminology) are treated by SDL Trados 2007 - you can have them as many times you want wherever you want.
But you can do that in Transit too, ALT+G and "the letter of the placeable you want to insert" will insert the placeable as many times as you want wherever you want in your translation.
Or did I misunderstand your post?

As for the question of the thread opener, same as Antonin, I've purchased Studio, but I haven't installed it yet, I only use Transit NXT for the time being, so I can not compare both yet. I like Transit NXT a lot so far, very stable and very fast imo.

[Edited at 2009-06-17 14:45 GMT]

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
formats Jun 17, 2009

Thank you for your input.

Apart from some different internal processes, is there any difference in supported input / ouptut formats (in the default package, not with extra paid filters)?

I mean - I can type and automatize one way or the other, the final text will be the same (of course this or that can save the time, but at the moment I don't know if one of the two is a significant leader). Is there any big advantage that makes the purchase of TNXT for me, a Trados user
... See more
Thank you for your input.

Apart from some different internal processes, is there any difference in supported input / ouptut formats (in the default package, not with extra paid filters)?

I mean - I can type and automatize one way or the other, the final text will be the same (of course this or that can save the time, but at the moment I don't know if one of the two is a significant leader). Is there any big advantage that makes the purchase of TNXT for me, a Trados user, worth the price? (I was never asked for a job in Transit Freelance.)
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This shortcut for placeables in Transit does not work for me Jun 17, 2009

I have Transit Satellite and XV and in both this ALT+G does not work...

Stanislav, did you see my idea about placeables in Studio on Ideas (2124)?
It says "Accepted for future development", so the hope dies as last (as we say in Germany).

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 05:17
Spanish
+ ...
AutoSuggestion are more like intelligent Auto-text Jun 17, 2009

I haven't used NXT but the more I use AutoSuggestios, the more I like it. The thing is that it's not so much as a terminology tool as it is an intelligent auto-text tool. It's very intuitive when it comes to recognizing which term it should bring up and where. So in the end, you end up typing just the first letter of each auto-suggested term or word, and accept it with Tab or Alt+Enter. There's no need to look away from text because the results are presented just below the space where the term w... See more
I haven't used NXT but the more I use AutoSuggestios, the more I like it. The thing is that it's not so much as a terminology tool as it is an intelligent auto-text tool. It's very intuitive when it comes to recognizing which term it should bring up and where. So in the end, you end up typing just the first letter of each auto-suggested term or word, and accept it with Tab or Alt+Enter. There's no need to look away from text because the results are presented just below the space where the term will be. I think that the reason the dictionaries are not updated on the fly is because the terms need to be analyzed, but that's probably what makes them so intuitive.Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
... Jun 18, 2009

@Jerzy: I have just read and voted for your idea. I miss the "old-fashioned" way of inserting tags too.

@Claudia: As far as I have seen, there are some differences between Dual (Target) Fuzzy in TNXT and AutoSuggest in SDLS 09.

1. As I posted earlier in this thread, the target fuzzy in TNXT is created and updated continuously, whereas in SDLS 09 you have to create a dictionary and have to update it by creating yet another dictionary. This is where I find Transit's solut
... See more
@Jerzy: I have just read and voted for your idea. I miss the "old-fashioned" way of inserting tags too.

@Claudia: As far as I have seen, there are some differences between Dual (Target) Fuzzy in TNXT and AutoSuggest in SDLS 09.

1. As I posted earlier in this thread, the target fuzzy in TNXT is created and updated continuously, whereas in SDLS 09 you have to create a dictionary and have to update it by creating yet another dictionary. This is where I find Transit's solution more elegant.

2. Target Fuzzy tends to create and suggest longer phrases (three or more words) and thus does not suggest as frequently as AutoSuggest.

3. AutoSuggest has some limitations for more inflective languages, such as Czech.

IMHO, both solutions have their pros and cons and it's hard to decide which one of them is better. As ever, it depends on their users' personal needs.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Rather off-topic, but... Jun 18, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Stanislav, did you see my idea about placeables in Studio on Ideas (2124)?
It says "Accepted for future development", so the hope dies as last

Perhaps it would be a nice idea to have tags moved from the source into the target segment simply using drag and drop.

...(as we say in Germany).

And in Czech too.

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Autosuggest is not a copy of EBMT (example based machine translation) of Deja Vu? Jun 18, 2009

Does anybody knows what are the differences and simmilarities between both?

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Francoise, I have forgotten this operation. Jun 18, 2009

Françoise Périgaut wrote:

That's why I do prefer the way placeables (and terminology) are treated by SDL Trados 2007 - you can have them as many times you want wherever you want.
But you can do that in Transit too, ALT+G and "the letter of the placeable you want to insert" will insert the placeable as many times as you want wherever you want in your translation.
Or did I misunderstand your post?

As for the question of the thread opener, same as Antonin, I've purchased Studio, but I haven't installed it yet, I only use Transit NXT for the time being, so I can not compare both yet. I like Transit NXT a lot so far, very stable and very fast imo.

[Edited at 2009-06-17 14:45 GMT]

Do you know if is possible to change between capital and low also for terms introduced using ALT+G?
Does anybody have a "really good experience" with some e-learning method for Transit and/or Trados?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit NXT Freelance Pro vs. Trados Studio 2009 Freelance functionality comparison?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »