Is it necessary TM for the file analysis?
Thread poster: Kalbininkai
Kalbininkai
Kalbininkai  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 01:17
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Jun 17, 2009

Hello,
we translated the project and issued the invoice for the client. The client don't pay the invoice but demands TM file "to check if the invoice is correct".
Have you any idea about this way of checking? It looks like the client wants to cheat us...

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:17
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
No Jun 17, 2009

He can easily check number of words and repetitions with an empty TM.

Bye! Hope it helps

Angio

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't think the TM file will help the client Jun 17, 2009

Kalbininkai wrote:
The client don't pay the invoice but demands TM file "to check if the invoice is correct".

I don't see how a client might determine the invoiceable amount of work by looking at the TM. Perhaps he wants to pay nothing for exact matches, and if so, he'll probably do a word count on the TM itself. My advice is to give the client a TM that contains only the strings from the current project (if you can generate it). If the client then decides to demand a discount for repetitions, you can take it from there. Don't jump to conclusions about why the client would want the TM.

Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk
Oleksandr Kupriyanchuk  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
Russian to English
+ ...
If clients don't wish to pay for exact matches, ask them to remove "matches" before assigning... :) Jun 17, 2009

Perhaps he wants to pay nothing for exact matches, and if so, he'll probably do a word count on the TM itself.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:17
Spanish to English
IMHO Jun 18, 2009

I don't think your client should set the terms after you have delivered the translation. You are the provider and if this wasn't all agreed beforehand, as it should have been, you are within your rights to charge whatever you want.

I personally don't give any discounts on 100% repeats unless it is a special client and is agreed beforehand.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
More ways to guess the situation Jun 18, 2009

Kalbininkai wrote:
The client don't pay the invoice but demands TM file "to check if the invoice is correct".

Obviously the client thinks that the invoiced amount is too high. Perhaps the client was under the impression that you would get more matches from the TM than you did. The client thinks that you are underestimating the number of matches, so he asks to see the TM that you used, so that he can run an analysis on the TM himself.

Of course, the above scenario assumes that you had a non-empty TM to begin with, and that the client was aware of this and had assumed that you would be using that TM to his financial advantage. Such an expectation may be reasonable if the client had previously supplied the TM. Presumably the client has his own recent copy of the TM and got a different analysis from it than you did.

Some issues remain unclear: Did you use a CAT tool? Did you start your translation with an empty TM? Could there have been an understanding that you would use an existing TM to provide additional matches and thus additional discounts?

Another possible issue may be whether you had applied penalties to matches that are different from the ones applied by the client. For example, if you use a case-insensitive CAT tool like Wordfast but you apply a case-difference penalty of -1% to matches, you will get fewer 100% matches than the repetition count had indicated, if the repetition count was case-insensitive. Ditto format and punctuation penalties.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 23:17
use of a tool Jun 18, 2009

It is possible to analyse the source from an empty TM, yes. If they had provided you with glossaries/reference materials, then maybe they were expecting to see some leverage out of that?
This depends if you used a TM tool or not.

If there was not a lot of leverage, then you can prove that the original invoice was correct.
Don't automatically think that they're trying to cheat you just yet. I would expect any service provider to itemise or explain a bill for me on reque
... See more
It is possible to analyse the source from an empty TM, yes. If they had provided you with glossaries/reference materials, then maybe they were expecting to see some leverage out of that?
This depends if you used a TM tool or not.

If there was not a lot of leverage, then you can prove that the original invoice was correct.
Don't automatically think that they're trying to cheat you just yet. I would expect any service provider to itemise or explain a bill for me on request.

[Edited at 2009-06-18 23:31 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it necessary TM for the file analysis?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »