How can I export a Trados TM into a tab-separated text file?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:02
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2009

I would like to make the data more accessible than it is in the .tmw files, and, among other things, later use it in Xbench.

Anyone have any clever suggestions?

Michael

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 15:02
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
One way I can suggest Jun 27, 2009

1) Use TWB for exporting the TM as "Trados Workbench (2.x to 6.x) .txt "
2) With Plustoyz convert the .txt file to a Word table
3) Paste the Word table in Excel
4) Save from Excel as tab-separated text file

Saludos

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 15:02
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
An even easier way Jun 27, 2009

1) Use TWB for exporting the TM as "Trados Workbench (2.x to 6.x) .txt "
2) With Plustoyz convert the .txt file to a Word table
3) Convert the table to text, when asked for the separador, click on "Tabs" (radio button)
4) Listo

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:02
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
No need to put into a tab separated file to use it in XBench Jun 27, 2009

If you want to use a Trados memory in XBench, you don't need to convert it to a tab separated file: just export it as *.txt: Among the many format read by XBench, there is, in fact, "Trados exported memory".

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:02
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 27, 2009

Yes, Jorge, I have already actually been trying to use Arkady Vysotsky's +Toyz, but for some reason couldn't get it to work yet. I'll keep trying though, as it's merely something to do with Macros & Word security settings, etc.

And Riccardo, I know that Xbench can work with "Trados exported memories." I am actually using it as my ... Central Dutch-English Terminology Database Program at present... it's just that there are certain TM's (or portions of them) that I would like to add t
... See more
Yes, Jorge, I have already actually been trying to use Arkady Vysotsky's +Toyz, but for some reason couldn't get it to work yet. I'll keep trying though, as it's merely something to do with Macros & Word security settings, etc.

And Riccardo, I know that Xbench can work with "Trados exported memories." I am actually using it as my ... Central Dutch-English Terminology Database Program at present... it's just that there are certain TM's (or portions of them) that I would like to add to a personal (tab separated text file) Glossary I am working on. Xbench really is an amazing program though. SDL could learn a thing or two from them.

Thanks!

Michael
Collapse

Eugene Gulak
Eugene Gulak  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:02
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
SDLX Jun 28, 2009

1. Export your TM as Trados Workbench txt or TMX.
2. Open SDLX Maintain module, create a new TM and import your exported TXT or TMX into it.
3. Export it to a delimited file (you can also set filters if you need).

SDLX is a pretty powerful toy.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:02
English to Hungarian
+ ...
manual Jun 28, 2009

It's nice to have all these flashy toys that can convert stuff between all sorts of formats with a GUI... but half the time they don't work or they don't work exactly like you'd want them to.
I prefer to do things like this myself, with complete control over the whole process.

You can do conversions like this with MS Word, Notepad and Excel fairly easily, using lots of search and replace and copy-paste.
Rough idea of the process: open the txt export in Notepad, copy cont
... See more
It's nice to have all these flashy toys that can convert stuff between all sorts of formats with a GUI... but half the time they don't work or they don't work exactly like you'd want them to.
I prefer to do things like this myself, with complete control over the whole process.

You can do conversions like this with MS Word, Notepad and Excel fairly easily, using lots of search and replace and copy-paste.
Rough idea of the process: open the txt export in Notepad, copy contents to Word, remove any line breaks with search and replace, insert line breaks between each new TU, save file in its present state for further use, insert tabs before each source language segment, copy to Excel, copy relevant parts to notepad (to strip formatting) and then to Word, insert tab after source segments, copy to Excel and you have your source segments in a column. Then go back to the saved version and extract the target segments in a similar way.
A bit fiddly, but this way you can process pretty much any rule-based file format and modify anything: add text fields, change language codes, creator names, times etc. Plus it's still a hell of a lot faster than poring over error messages about nullpointer exceptions and inappropriate java runtime environments.
Collapse

pep
pep
Local time: 22:02
English to Spanish
Export items in ApSIC Xbench Jul 3, 2009

Michael,

One option is: once you have loaded the Trados Exported Memory .txt file in ApSIC Xbench, you can then choose use Tools->Export Items and then choose Tab-delimited Text as Output.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I export a Trados TM into a tab-separated text file?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »