1st Translation software: which one would you choose?
Thread poster: lafresita

lafresita  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:13
Member (2003)
Polish to English
+ ...
Jul 2, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

If you were to buy your first Translation Software, which one would it be and why?

MJ

Direct link Reply with quote

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:13
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
MemoQ Jul 2, 2009

For its thoroughness, usability and reliability.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Wrong question, I'm afraid Jul 2, 2009

Miroslawa Jodlowiec wrote:
If you were to buy your first Translation Software, which one would it be and why?

You should specifically ask people who have bought more than one. Otherwise people will simply tell you their favourite one, which will often be the only one they bought themselves.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
no simple answer Jul 2, 2009

I myself own SDL Trados, Star Transit, Heartsome and MemoQ.

Each of them is suitable for different things and their price tags differ substantially.

So, the answer depends on what you want it for and how much you want to/are able to spend on it.

Antonin

Frances Leggett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
wordfast Jul 2, 2009

I use Wordfast. It is compatible with most other translation softwares including Trados, but is half the price. Having said that, most translation agencies specify Trados when communicating with me to which I have to reply that Wordfast is compatible with it. Trados costs around €700 and Worfast costs around €350.

Hope that helps.

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:13
Spanish
+ ...
Metatexis for beginners Jul 2, 2009

For its features and because it's so easy to use. It's also cheaper than many alternatives and the free version is pretty neat for a free CAT tool. But it also depends on the kind of translations you do, the file types, etc.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:13
English to French
+ ...
Questions Jul 2, 2009

- What filetypes (Word, PowerPoint, InDesign, etc.) would you be working with?
- What types of text (manuals, legal documents, software localization, marketing copy, etc.) would you be working with?
- Do your clients require the use of a CAT tool? Are there file formats (TMX, TTX, etc.) your CAT tool would need to be compatible with?
- What aspects of a CAT tool appeal to you? The ability to create and use glossaries? Saving time? Consistency? Word count?

Once you answer these questions, you will have better chances at getting advice targeted to your situation. As Antonin suggests, each CAT tool is different. Further, each has its strengths and weaknesses and each is suited for a few job types. No CAT tool does everything, but many CAT tools are perfectly fine on their own if you are specialized.

Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Recommending the only ones I know... Jul 2, 2009

I use OmegaT, which is 0 € investment and easy to use. I just picked up another open-source software, Anaphraseus.

OmegaT makes TMs that can be used in Trados by the agency. With Anaphraseus I can provide them unclean + clean files to be used in Trados, so there is no need for me to have Trados - and it IS possible to communicate this to an agency, which insists on Trados: I just signed a contract with one.

I do NOT use them just because they are open-source and therefore free. I would happily pay for them. But as I use Linux, I look for software that is guaranteed to work on it without any circus tricks. I do have Windows, but I can't remember the last time I needed it for anything.

xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
MetaTexis for beginners (2) Jul 2, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

For its features and because it's so easy to use. It's also cheaper than many alternatives and the free version is pretty neat for a free CAT tool. But it also depends on the kind of translations you do, the file types, etc.

And also because of its excellent support mechanisms.

Good luck!

Mauricio Manzo  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:13
English to Spanish
Deja Vu Jul 2, 2009

I have used SDL Trados (except for the new version), SDXL, Wordfast, Across, Idiom and Deja Vu. I particularly prefer Deja Vu because it allows some series of verifications: terminology, inconsistencies, etc., plus export into MS Word, which allows further checks on Apsic Xbench after having converted file to TXT format and reintroduce this TXT into the DV file after havinf converted it to MS Word. Idiom allows export, too, but any changes must be introduced manually on the Idiom file, same with Across. Both Idiom and Deja Vu offer useful filters, such as to see only 100% matches, or fuzzy matches on a whole bunch of files, which allows making changes to all files at the same time. But I believe SDL Studio 2009 has also incorporated this feature so I must give it a try and perhaps will become the most useful as per my needs.

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
OmegaT Jul 2, 2009

Taija Salo wrote:

I use OmegaT, which is 0 € investment and easy to use. I just picked up another open-source software, Anaphraseus.

OmegaT makes TMs that can be used in Trados by the agency. With Anaphraseus I can provide them unclean + clean files to be used in Trados, so there is no need for me to have Trados - and it IS possible to communicate this to an agency, which insists on Trados: I just signed a contract with one.

I do NOT use them just because they are open-source and therefore free. I would happily pay for them. But as I use Linux, I look for software that is guaranteed to work on it without any circus tricks. I do have Windows, but I can't remember the last time I needed it for anything.

OmegaT is a good choice for beginners, and it works on Windows as well.

Across has a free version for translators. There are also some free but limited CAT tools: Star Transit satellite version and Deja Vu X editor version. With these two programs you can translate projects prepared by the full versions.

Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:13
Japanese to English
Best for productivity 'out of the box' Jul 2, 2009

I bought Trados years ago and MemoQ recently. I also tried out DVX briefly.

Of these, MemoQ is hands-down the easiest to use straight 'out of the box'. Just using the quick start manual and occasionally referring to the Help was enough to get translating almost immediately.

Getting productive without having to pay for training or struggling through widely dispersed documentation is of course a big plus for people for whom time is money.

That's not to say MemoQ is perfect, but so far, I'm pleased with it.

Mindaugas Kiaupas  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
the question is totally illogical Jul 2, 2009

If one would consider to choose his/her FIRST translation software, that would be absolutely any of all existing software and most likely the one the client who is about to give you an order suggests to use.

You would better describe why you might need such a software, so the responders could have any ground to base their answers on. There is no such thing like the first, last, best software.

Can you answer to this question: Which cake would you choose if that would be your FIRST cake?

Dennis Bodde
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
MultiTrans 4 Jul 3, 2009

I use MultiTrans 4.
A largely unknown CAT to freelancers.
Check it out, its advanced and innovative technology beats the others by far.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
And the winner is.... Jul 3, 2009

Rod Walters wrote:
... MemoQ is hands-down the easiest to use straight 'out of the box'...

That's not to say MemoQ is perfect, but so far, I'm pleased with it.

MemoQ. I have just about all the leading CAT tools at my disposal and work with them in combination on many occasions, because this is often the most efficient way to do a project. No tool does everything and no tool is "perfect", but as Rod points out, MemoQ is an affordable choice that is rather easy to use. I switched to using it for most of my work a few months ago, and while I have discovered a lot of annoying quirks (some of which were fixed rather quickly by the developers), on the whole I am more productive with it than with Déjà Vu in most cases and more productive than with bloody Trados in all cases.

Aside from software features, a very important consideration is user support. Right now I think Kilgray's support for MemoQ is the best on the market. I had my first major problem with corruption of a MemoQ project last night just before midnight, and I got a response to my desperate mail to support even at that hour. Lesser issues have been responded to even later on previous occasions. Now I can certainly wait until the next morning most of the time, and I hope the Kilgray team does learn the benefits of sleep for long-term health, but I do appreciate the effort they make. And the product is evolving faster than any other on the market now as a result of that effort!

So in summary, though I would like to make another recommendation, the one I must make based on quality, performance and support in 90% of cases is MemoQ. Another 10% goes to DVX, a fantastic product which has suffered from development stasis in recent years and a decline in support. I could never recommend SDL Trados as a primary tool; the other 1% for other tools like OmegaT covers special situations that don't fit my preferred constellation for a flexible freelance professional's range of services.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1st Translation software: which one would you choose?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search