Wordfast vs OmegaT
Thread poster: Paul Carmichael

Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:01
Spanish to English
Jul 11, 2009

I've been playing with OmegaT for a while, but saw everyone raving about Wordfast here, so thought I'd have a look.

Well, apart from being a bit prettier, it's not obvious to me what it does that OmegaT(2.0.3) doesn't do. They seem to be compatible, as I used a TM from OmegaT in Wordfast and it almost worked. I say almost, because the segments in OmegaT are all at sentence level, while in Wordfast it seems to be random.

Am I missing something obvious?

Incidentally, the quick start guide in OmegaT is the worst translation into Spanish that I've ever seen.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 23:01
Japanese to French
+ ...
Spanish translation Jul 12, 2009

OmegaT development is 100% volunteer based.

If you feel like proposing a new translation for the Spanish version you are more than welcome.

Jean-Christophe Helary, OmegaT localization manager.

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:01
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Anaphraseus Jul 12, 2009

If you like how Wordfast® functions, you might want to have a look at Anaphraseus (http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net), a Free/Open Source CAT tool that functions similarly to older versions of Wordfast, but as a plug-in to OpenOffice.org (which is, of course, also Free/Open Source), instead of MSWord®.

Personally, I use both, OmegaT and Anaphraseus.
OmegaT is my favorite, but I use Anaphraseus when clients request "unclean" docs, or sometimes just for quick projects that only involve one doc file, etc.
IMHO, OmegaT is just more efficient for me to work with, and, of course, has the advantages of being able to work with an entire directory full of reference TMs, multiple source files in the same project, works with a far broader range of file formats (from all MSOffice® files, including the new docx and xlsx, to localization files like pot and java.properties, to html, xml, xliff, even ttx, etc., etc.), plus other advantages.
But Anaphraseus allows one to adjust source segments on the fly, and, IMHO, has better glossary tools, and, of course, will work with and create unclean doc files.

Additionally, all localization for OmegaT is done on a volunteer basis (I served as localization coordinator for a while, myself).
If you feel that the guide is poorly translated, please feel free to submit a new translation.
Information on how you can get involved in the localization process for OmegaT is available on the OmegaT site, http://www.omegat.org
The current translation is over 3 years old, thus, was not updated while I was involved in localization thereof.

[Edited at 2009-07-12 15:16 GMT]

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Weird choice of forum Jul 12, 2009

I posted this in another forum and it got moved here. I don't know why, as it's not to do with technical help. Rather buying decisions.

Pero bueno...

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

If you like how Wordfast® functions, you might want to have a look at Anaphraseus (http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net), a Free/Open Source CAT tool that functions similarly to older versions of Wordfast, but as a plug-in to OpenOffice.org (which is, of course, also Free/Open Source), instead of MSWord®.

Being a Linux person, I'm already an OpenOffice convert

I tried Anaphraseus already - I saw it mentioned on here somewehre. It immediately crashed with some error in BASIC. But I'd only played with the standalone Wordfast, not the macro version, so didn't know what I was doing.

It's just that OmegaT works, and I can't see what Wordfast might have to offer that could make it worth spending money on. It seems to me that Trados is the only industry standard package, so if I were buying solely for "industrystandardness", I'd buy that.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:01
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
You may be missing something… Jul 12, 2009

wibbleypants wrote:

…what it does that OmegaT(2.0.3) doesn't do.

Not much really. But WF works with MS Word/Office, thus you can handle the respective file types directly (notably, Microsoft Office 2003), without conversion to OpenDocument and back. WF has so far better terminology handling, including automatic propagation of terms from glossaries and quality assurance. There are some other things that you can find in WF, but not in OmegaT.

I used a TM from OmegaT in Wordfast and it almost worked. I say almost, because the segments in OmegaT are all at sentence level, while in Wordfast it seems to be random.

It’s not random. It’s different. First of all, WF will break segments after colons and semicolons. In OmegaT, segmentation rules are extremely flexible, and you can modify them to imitate WF’s if you need it.

I use OmegaT for most of my jobs, ≈90%. I do most of the rest with Anaphraseus. However, WF still takes up to 5% of my jobs, especially when I need to translate those f*****g PowerPoint files.

Spain
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry - bit blunt Jul 12, 2009

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

OmegaT development is 100% volunteer based.

If you feel like proposing a new translation for the Spanish version you are more than welcome.

Jean-Christophe Helary, OmegaT localization manager.

I don't want to knock someone's efforts, but it's weird, as the rest of the Spanish seems ok, and probably written by a native, so I couldn't understand why that one part (the first part one sees) was so "not so good". Have you lost a translator?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Procedure Jul 13, 2009

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

By the way, what is the procedure for making a new translation in a language that is already supported? How does the OmT team deal with translators that each say that their translation is good and the other person's translation is rubbish?

Jean-Christophe Helary
Japan
Local time: 23:01
Japanese to French
+ ...
conflicts over translations Jul 13, 2009

Well, in the case at hand, everybody seems to agree that the current Spanish is not good enough.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast vs OmegaT

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search