How to count untranslated words in Idiom or Qt Linguist?
Thread poster: Egil Presttun

Egil Presttun  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 21:46
English to Norwegian
Jul 22, 2009

Hi

If you get a file, and most of the segments are already translated, and your job is to translate the rest, how can you count the number of untranslated words in the source language?
The CAT tools in question are Idiom and Qt Linguist.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In Idiom Jul 22, 2009

Egil Presttun wrote:
If you get a file, and most of the segments are already translated, and your job is to translate the rest, how can you count the number of untranslated words in the source language? The CAT tools in question are Idiom and Qt Linguist.

In Idiom, use the segment filter at the top right to display only untranslated segments (grey ones). Then go File > Export > Segments. Open the resulting TXT file in MS Word, turn it into a table, and remove the non-source text columns. Or, ope the resulting TXT file in Excel, copy the source text column, and count it in MS Word.

What can go wrong: some cells may contain soft returns, which Word or Excel will interpret as hard returns, and then the columns won't work out perfectly until you hack it into shape (but it is generally pretty obvious to see when this happens).

Egil Presttun  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
TOPIC STARTER
Idiom Jul 22, 2009

Thanks Samuel! I really appreciate your help.
I used the technique with Excel, and it worked.

On the other hand, I am terrified by how user friendly these CAT tools are.

If someone can explain the word count in Qt Linguist as well, I will be equally grateful.

ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:46
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
I am not sure completely, but.... Oct 25, 2010

I had the same problem (to count untranslated words or to count the new words in the resulting language) and thought that possibly the following way will "bring an answer." However, from, say, rather different side:)...
1. open the original incoming file say "inputfile.ts"
2. go to view > statistics
3. write down the respective table with figures {e.g., Source (words) 7741 Translation (also words) 2008}
4. then open the done file, e.g., done.ts
5. rename the file with your translation (for example +done.ts)
6. close the "done" file after renaming
6. if in the "done" file you used the key combination Ctrl+J in passing to a new untranslated block (is often asked by outsourcing agency for some their reason to make easier the localization engineer's life), then just run over that "+done" file with the Ctrl+Enter combination for confirmation of all blocks (as of you are going to prepare "+done" file's release) . It is point explaining why should you rename the done file...
7. you will get thus a qm (or ts) file
8. read the "+done" file's table as in step 2.
9. you will get something like {Source (words) 7741 Translation - 7446}
I think that now you may deduct that you have translated and inserted thus 7446-2008 = 5 438 words.
A small stop now. IMHO, I am not absolutely sure in the above figures. I mean I do not know what there stands in that table for the items "Source" and "Translation"...
I think you might easily proceed with a little check for yourselves: take the initial file, translate a couple of blocks (and count the words to be translated and those in the translation). You thus experimentally will obtain an answer to the above question.
Further, admit for instance, that "Translation" means translated words in target language. If your target language is more wordy, then you might make necessary approximation.
I also thought on how to count the untranslated words from the first file... I found that it probably more easy to write a small code which compare the translated blocks in initial and resulting files. However, it will require a certain time and I do not have it:)...
Please do not forget to communicate your results obtained this way!:)
Yours,
T.

[Редактировалось 2010-10-25 20:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count untranslated words in Idiom or Qt Linguist?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search