On what does rely the usage of Translation Memory in SDL Trados ?
Thread poster: Grodzki

Grodzki
Poland
Local time: 15:24
German to Polish
+ ...
Aug 11, 2009

Does this exclude the usage of the external translator , whether is possible the joint usage ?

respectfully
Grodzki

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The basic functioning of SDL Trados or any other CAT tool Aug 11, 2009

Hello Grodzki,

Welcome to the site! I am not sure that I understand your question. Are you asking how a CAT tool basically works?

A short summary of how a CAT tool works can be found under the menu tab "Tools" and the menu item "CAT tools", or you can click on this link:

http://www.proz.com/cat

The translation memory is created by the user of the CAT tool. The user translates the sentence and the two sentences are then saved together in the translation memory. The translation memory can bring them up again at a later date. If you get a sentence in a new document for translation to translate that is identical, the translation memory will bring up the pair of sentences saved as a 100% match. If the sentence in the new document is similar, it will suggest them as a so-called "fuzzy match", i.e. you will be shown the sentences that you translated earlier, and you can use them as a starting point for the similar sentence in the new translation.

Does this answer your question?

If you have further questions, please post them below.

Astrid

Grodzki
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am very happy from this answer Aug 11, 2009

I am very happy from this answer.
Please explain me what is better in CAT :
- using SDL Trados or
- using translating programm

Marek Grodzki

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:24
English to Latvian
you are talking about 2 completely different things Aug 11, 2009

Grodzki wrote:

I am very happy from this answer.
Please explain me what is better in CAT :
- using SDL Trados or
- using translating programm

Marek Grodzki

CAT tools and machine translation programs are not comparable in any way - they are completely different things. It's like comparing your feet and a plane: you can, of course, move to another place using both of them but they are incomparable in any other way.

Nevertheless, good luck in your further research!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search