PHP documents, how can I translate them?
Thread poster: xxxL.G.F.
xxxL.G.F.  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 31, 2009

Good afternoon,

I need your help colleagues. I have just been sent several .php documents and I do not know which Cat tool I should use to translate them. At the moment, I just have Trados 7 Freelance and Wordfast.
Could anyone of you bring me a helping hand? If you could, any suggestions about settings?

Thank you kindly,

Lucas G. F.

Direct link Reply with quote

sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:10
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Perhaps... Aug 31, 2009

I use a "side-by-cat-tool" that might be of help to you...
ABBYY finereader, that opens, reads and makes editable most formats, and I believe you can get a well working trial-version on their homepage.

Since PHP has some restrictions to usage, I can not promise that this will help though...

Others; contact the support for PHP if in doubt. They'll know

Good luck!

[Edited at 2009-08-31 17:55 GMT]

Quyet Ngo
Vietnam
Local time: 13:10
English to Vietnamese
Sample file pls Aug 31, 2009

Hi,

Are they PHP language files? If you don't mind, send a sample file to support@vnetrans.com.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:10
Swedish to English
+ ...
PHP not PDF Aug 31, 2009

I think Siv might have confused php (server script language) with pdf (non-editable documents).

I don't usually use Trados or Wordfast, but most CATs can handle php files.

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
This may help... Aug 31, 2009

Hi,

I never had to translate a long .php doc , but tried my hand on a very short .php file
with TagEditor (comes with Trados) and it worked!

Open the Workbench and then the TagEditor, open the php file from the TagEditor, it should appear as a tagged document. Proceed as if with the Workbench, careful with the tags!

Good luck!

Haydée

[Edited at 2009-08-31 18:46 GMT]

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:10
German to English
+ ...
Not easy to do thoroughly ... Sep 1, 2009

... but have a look at this thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/omegat_support/117377-omegat:_translating_php_files.html

The work around should, I guess, work with any CAT tool that handles HTML files.

Really, the PHP files should have been created with a multilingual capability (using gettext, for example).

http://mel.melaxis.com/devblog/2005/08/06/localizing-php-web-sites-using-gettext/

[Edited at 2009-09-01 07:32 GMT]

sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:10
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
PHP - not PDF Sep 1, 2009

Hello again

Fear not my friend, I know of the differences
A friend of mine makes homepages, and PHP is one of the formats he keeps bringing up. HE simply answered theres support to help anyone working it, that's why I suggested it. His evaluation, PHP is not the best format to work with...
Still, the pevious answers here are, no doubt, most helpful and will be of good use to you. I use these forums if I'm ever stuck and the help I get in here is always of great use to me.

Have a nice day on.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PHP documents, how can I translate them?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search