Idiom Worldserver Desktop Workbench 9.01.149 - spellchecking/exporting target segments
Thread poster: Rebekka Groß
Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:15
English to German
Sep 22, 2009

The spellchecker in this CAT tool is extremely slow so I would like to use Word to spellcheck the target text. But selecting File>Export>Segments results in a bilingual txt file with all sorts of other etxtraneous information that would impede spellchecking.

Here's an example:
2 manual translation, pending review Show or hide the environment cube Anzeigen oder Ausblenden des Umgebungswürfels 721559.xml_2743723

I'm not good at macros, otherwise I could probably clean up the exported file and run the spellchecker.

Does anyone who's familiar with this tool have any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:15
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How to... Sep 22, 2009

Rebekka Groß wrote:
But selecting File>Export>Segments results in a bilingual txt file with all sorts of other etxtraneous information that would impede spellchecking.

Open that TXT file in MS Word. Delete the first three lines. Select all (Ctrl+A) and go Table > Convert > Text to Table, and select tabs as the delimiter. Now delete the columns (or its contents) that shouldn't be spellchecked. This should work in about 80% of cases. Sometimes there are hard returns inside cells in Idiom that messes with this procedure.

English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Samuel Sep 22, 2009

That works great! I'd opened the file in Word before but all I could think of were macros. Just goes to show how little I know about Word - the drawback of hardly ever creating documents from scratch but working with client files.

English to German
TOPIC STARTER
an even quicker way Sep 23, 2009

I've just found out that the tab-separated txt file can be opened in Excel where all I have to is copy the target column and paste it into Word to run a spellcheck.

And if I show only "Alle except 100% and ICE matches" before exporting them, the 100% and ICE matches I'm supposed to ignore, will not be exported, thus shortening the time needed for spellchecking.

[Edited at 2009-09-23 15:24 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:15
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
How to import back? Jun 16, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Rebekka Groß wrote:
But selecting File>Export>Segments results in a bilingual txt file with all sorts of other etxtraneous information that would impede spellchecking.

Open that TXT file in MS Word...

How do I import the segments back into the Idiom Project after checking spelling and editing in Word or Excel? The Idea is to update the project file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Idiom Worldserver Desktop Workbench 9.01.149 - spellchecking/exporting target segments

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search