want to start freelance translation
Thread poster: ivy82
ivy82
ivy82
Local time: 14:03
Sep 24, 2009

Hello

I already did some translation jobs, but i wanna go faster and get more jobs. I dont have a translation programm and it seems getting one would cost me 500 £.... As long as i dont have a real income with translations i cannot afford this. Can somebody please tell me how to get a translation programm download for free? I dont just want to get away without paying i just want a programm to get started and purchase a more professional software when i see the freelance translation
... See more
Hello

I already did some translation jobs, but i wanna go faster and get more jobs. I dont have a translation programm and it seems getting one would cost me 500 £.... As long as i dont have a real income with translations i cannot afford this. Can somebody please tell me how to get a translation programm download for free? I dont just want to get away without paying i just want a programm to get started and purchase a more professional software when i see the freelance translation goes well and profitable.

Thank you

Yvonne
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:03
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Yvonne Sep 26, 2009

I would recommend Metatexis Lite for the beginning - it is free, very user-friendly, it runs as an add-on to MS Word and is Trados-compatible.

Natalia

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:03
Italian to English
+ ...
Wordfast Pro Sep 26, 2009

You might also want to take a look at Wordfast Pro. You can download the trial version, which will let you work with TMs up to 500 units in size.

I suggest this, because it has a workflow similar to what most of the bigger companies are now starting to use (working within the suite itself, not directly in Word).

R.
==

[Edited at 2009-09-26 16:28 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:03
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT Sep 28, 2009

Try OmegaT , it’s a free program that can be used without any limitation.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Don't waste your time on small fish Sep 28, 2009

Most of the worthwhile commercial translation environment tools (TEnTs) have fully functional demonstration versions available for a month or more. For Déjà Vu (http://www.atril.com), for example, one can get a 30 day demo license on request, and I know of cases where special requests for longer evaluation periods have been granted. Kilgray offers a 45-day fully ... See more
Most of the worthwhile commercial translation environment tools (TEnTs) have fully functional demonstration versions available for a month or more. For Déjà Vu (http://www.atril.com), for example, one can get a 30 day demo license on request, and I know of cases where special requests for longer evaluation periods have been granted. Kilgray offers a 45-day fully functional evaluation of MemoQ (http://www.kilgray.com); after this period has expired it may be possible to get an extension (I did several times over the year I evaluated it before buying), or you can use the "free" version (no paid license) rather well for many smaller jobs (single files). I don't think you'll find a demo for SDL Trados, because I have the impression that the company prefers users to buy on faith, because if they knew the reality of what they were getting into, they would run screaming.

I think it's important to ask yourself what kind of jobs you are targeting, too. If you hope to maximize your chances by working with a wide range of formats to allow you to focus on the content with which you are competent, there's hardly a way around a good commercial tool. With the introduction of tools like TOXIC for OmegaT there is some latitude, but this isn't something for the average technophobe. If you plan to restrict your work to a few file formats like the OpenOffice word processor or RTF, then there are acceptable free options available.

Personally, I think the best bet currently if you are a Windows user is MemoQ on one of the ProZ group buys. At around € 300 typically, it offers superior functionality in many cases to packages costing three times as much or more. And frankly, if you can't afford or are not serious enough to make a € 300 investment (basically a day's paid translation work), you need to consider other ways of making money. I started off with a 30-day demo of Déjà Vu about 10 years ago and made enough in my spare time after work in that month off projects whose formats would have been otherwise inaccessible to me that it paid for my € 900 euro copy (about DM 1800 back then) many times over.
Collapse

ivy82
ivy82
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 28, 2009

Thanks for taking the time and thank you for the useful tips. I ll take your advise and jump into work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

want to start freelance translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »