Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Open Source Freeware Translation Memory
Thread poster: Gabriela González

Gabriela González  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 15, 2009

Hello...! I am a freelance translator and would like to ask if there is any open source translation memory (freeware) that you can download and legally use for free -it doesn't matter if it is too simple- or if all of these products should be necessarily bought by the translators without no other possible choice.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers and information!

Gabriela (Buenos Aires - Argentina)

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:32
Russian to English
+ ...
DGT Translation Memory Oct 15, 2009

See this site: http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html#Download

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, James! I'll have a look. I'd like to add "no trial versions, please". Thanks! Oct 15, 2009

Gabriela González wrote:

Hello...! I am a freelance translator and would like to ask if there is any open source translation memory (freeware) that you can download and legally use for free -it doesn't matter if it is too simple- or if all of these products should be necessarily bought by the translators without no other possible choice.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers and information!

Gabriela (Buenos Aires - Argentina)

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
OmegaT, The free (GPL) translation memory tool Oct 16, 2009

As explained at their Web site:

http://www.omegat.org/en/omegat.html

OmegaT is a free translation memory application written in Java. It is a tool intended for professional translators. It does not translate for you! (Software that does this is called "machine translation", and you will have to look elsewhere for it.) OmegaT has the following features:

* Fuzzy matching
* Match propagation
* Simultaneous processing of multiple-file projects
* Simultaneous use of multiple translation memories
* External glossaries
* Document file formats include:
XHTML and HTML
Microsoft Office 2007 XML
OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
XLIFF (Okapi)
MediaWiki (Wikipedia)
Plain text
* Unicode (UTF-8) support: can be used with non-Latin alphabets
* Support for right-to-left languages
* Compatible with other translation memory applications (TMX)

Regards

Clarisa

Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:32
English to German
MetaTexis Oct 16, 2009

Hello Gabriela,

version Lite of MetaTexis is available for free at www.metatexis.com.

Kind regards
Hermann

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:32
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Anaphraseus Oct 16, 2009

is free software. It works as Wordfast Classic, although is not so rich in features. It’s still in beta stage, but if you understand its limitations, it can be helpful.

The home site is: http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net/

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
By the way, Oct 16, 2009

Wordfast can be legally used in demo mode. The demo mode offers you all the features that the full version has except that it ceases to add new translation units when a translation memory exceeds ≈500 units.

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
And there are some freeware (not free software) programs Oct 16, 2009

such as MT2007 (its home site is mt2007-cat.ru/, but its development is temporarily on hold, because the author decided to completely redesign the program).

AidTrans Studio Basic is freeware as well (http://www.aidtranssoft.com/).

[Edited at 2009-10-16 08:22 GMT]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Across Personal Edition Oct 16, 2009

Info taken from the http://www.my-across.net/en/index.aspx

The Across Personal Edition is the standalone application developed by Across for freelance translators.

It can be used as a standalone application or as a standby remote client for accessing Across Language Servers.

Freelance translators simply need to register to receive a full, free version of Across Personal Edition, worth $ 1,450.00 US.

BTW: it is not an open source software. It is just a "free version".

Regards

Clarisa

[Edited at 2009-10-16 13:34 GMT]

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! I have another couple of questions... Gabriela Oct 16, 2009

Thank you very much to all of you for your answers! I have been checking some of these websites that you kindly suggested and will go on with my search during the weekend.

Now I have another two questions that I would like to ask. Suppose that I work with one of these memory tools that can be downloaded and used for free, are the files compatible with Trados or the rest of the memory translations which are sold in the market?
My other question is, do they work fine with Windows Vista (Home Basic)?

Thanks again and warm regards from Buenos Aires!

Gabriela

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
More answers Oct 17, 2009

Gabriela González wrote:
1. Suppose that I work with one of these memory tools that can be downloaded and used for free, are the files compatible with Trados or the rest of the memory translations which are sold in the market?

Not 100%, no. At best you should be able to convert a tool's TM to TMX, which can then be read by the other tool. Some tools can also read some each other's glossary formats. Many tools have files that no other tool can read, and most tools have some files that most other tools can read. Is there a reason why you want your tool to be compatible with Trados?

2. My other question is, do they work fine with Windows Vista (Home Basic)?

Most of them would, I think. OmegaT does, and so does Anaphraseus.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Samuel. Oct 18, 2009

Hello, Samuel and all of you!

I'll explain why I am concerned about Trados files. I think that that is the most well-known and probably used memory tool.
I am a freelance translator who works and lives in Argentina, a country where we live in a situation of permanent economic crisis. Our currency (peso) equals almost 4 US dollars and 6 Euros. Imagine what this means! The price of Trados and the other memory tools for sale is just impossible to afford in my case. However, I would like to work for an international agency (I've only made translations for my own country so far) and I know that most of them -if not all- require Trados command. I infer that they work with that memory tool then.
Suppose that I can finally work with an international agency by e-mail. Would my files produced with these free memory tools be compatible with the ones that the agency provides and works with?

I hope I could explain my situation and concern a little better.

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards from Buenos Aires,

Gabriela

Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Some answers Oct 18, 2009

Gabriela González wrote:

are the files compatible with Trados or the rest of the memory translations which are sold in the market?

The matter is that even Trados translation memories are not compatible between each other (you can’t open a Trados 7 TM in Trados 6.5, for example). But all those programs are capable of handling TMX that is used for translation memory exchange between various CAT tools.

My other question is, do they work fine with Windows Vista (Home Basic)?

Short answer for OmegaT, Anaphraseus, Wordfast: yes.
Longer answer: neither of them works with Windows, because neither of them is a native Windows application:
a) OmegaT works with Java Runtime Environment (that in turn works fine with Vista);
b) Anaphraseus works with OpenOffice.org Writer (that in turn works fine with Vista);
c) Wordfast works with Microsoft Word (that in turn works fine with Vista).

[Edited at 2009-10-18 13:32 GMT]

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for these answers. Oct 18, 2009

Thank you very much for all these answers and comments. I find them very helpful. Thanks to all of you who are taking part in this forum. Gabriela

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Exchange rate is not a measure of crisis, surely Oct 18, 2009

Gabriela González wrote:
...Argentina, a country where we live in a situation of permanent economic crisis. Our currency (peso) equals almost 4 US dollars and 6 Euros. Imagine what this means!

My currency (rand) equals 7 US dollars and 11 euros. The only things this might mean are that it is expensive to buy Trados unless you buy it from a local agent and that you can potentially get more money from overseas translation clients.

I would like to work for an international agency ... and I know that most of them ... require Trados command. I infer that they work with that memory tool then.

If a client requires Trados, then it is likely that he wants you to use Trados, and it is likely that you won't be able to satisfy him with a different tool... unless you ask him. It all depends on what kinds of files he wants to give you and what kinds of files he wants back from you.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open Source Freeware Translation Memory

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search