https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/148603-high_number_of_repetitions.html

High number of repetitions
Thread poster: Derrick Healy
Derrick Healy
Derrick Healy
Local time: 15:54
Oct 20, 2009

I have a huge amount of repetitions in my files. Does anyone know of any tools/processes to translate these efficiently.
Currently I am using Trados and exporting frequent segments, translating these first and then accepting all 100% matches

I'm wondering if there is a more efficient way

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Export unknown segments Oct 21, 2009

If you export unknown segments you will be left with an rtf file that only contains the segments that need translating (i.e. all the repetitions will have been removed). Translate this file and then pass your original file through your memory. I often use this method to avoid translating in TagEditor.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Export unknown Oct 21, 2009

Indeed: export the unknown segments, translate and review them. This will deal with the high number of repetitions and you will only have care about the other segments.

[Edited at 2009-10-21 06:05 GMT]

Derrick Healy
Derrick Healy
Local time: 15:54
TOPIC STARTER
repetitions Oct 21, 2009

How does exporting unknown segments take care of the reps ? When I export the unknown segments and translate, when are the reps translated ?

What % should I choose for Export Unknown segments ?

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Try DVX from Atril Oct 21, 2009

DéjàVu X (DVX) is a CAT tool that competes with Trados. It gives you autopropagation: As soon as you have translated and accepted a segment, the translation is propagated to all segments in the current project (which can comprise any number of files in any different formats). This is truly a huge time-saver when there is a large number of identical segments.

You can also sort segments alphabetica
... See more
DéjàVu X (DVX) is a CAT tool that competes with Trados. It gives you autopropagation: As soon as you have translated and accepted a segment, the translation is propagated to all segments in the current project (which can comprise any number of files in any different formats). This is truly a huge time-saver when there is a large number of identical segments.

You can also sort segments alphabetically (again across the entire project potentially consisting of hundreds or thousands of files), which allows for very easy checking of identical segments.

There are some important caveats to using autopropagation for segments that are identical except for numbers. DVX has some annoying bugs there, so you may find autopropagation less useful e.g. for financial statements or chemical formulae.

Endre
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Do not forget to ... Oct 21, 2009

Derrick Healy wrote:
Currently I am using Trados and exporting frequent segments, translating these first and then accepting all 100% matches...I'm wondering if there is a more efficient way

pretranslate your material, once you have added the frequent segments (i.e. their translations) to the TM. If it is 100% matches, you really do not go one by one through them.

Pretranslate is found in the same corner of TWB as statistic you are using.

Appologies, if you do it already, but "... then accepting all 100% matches" made me suspicious.

Regards

Vito

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Repetitions are translated after you pass your original file through the memory Oct 24, 2009

after you have translated the unknown segments, reviewed them and added them to your memory. Once all the unknown segments (setting it to 99%) have been translated and added to the memory, you will only have 100% matches. This means that all segments in your original file are translated and if you pretranslate, everything will be in the target language (you may have to tweak here and there depending on whether your original source document is in Excel, PP, etc.).

Derrick Healy wrote:

How does exporting unknown segments take care of the reps ? When I export the unknown segments and translate, when are the reps translated ?

What % should I choose for Export Unknown segments ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

High number of repetitions

Translation news related to CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »