Heartsome anybody? (TMX problems - application keeps freezing after trying to import)
Thread poster: IT Pros Subs

IT Pros Subs
Italy
Local time: 21:23
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 12, 2009

Hi everybody I was the happiest of translators when I found out at last there was ONE professional CAT to run on my Mac OS so I bought my copy of Heartsome Translation Studio but since then I haven't been able to import ONE TMX file into any TM database !!!

In 12 years I have used several CAT tools so I am not a newbie...

The application keeps freezing after trying to import. I wonder if it is me (?) or maybe the list of advantages that the manufacturers have on their website is a bit too confident. I tried everything, TMX Validator/Editor but still the TMX won't open. Does anybody have any idea why? I am referring to a large file but haven't had any problem importing it into other CATs (Trados, SDLX, MemoQ)...

Also it seems to me that the requirement to choose a text code among hundreds before starting the project is quite tricky. How do I choose????

The user's manual is not that helpful. Thank you for any suggestions!

Monica

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-11-12 19:02 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Well, I'm afraid you bought the wrong CAT tool... Nov 12, 2009

Monica Paolillo wrote:
(...)
Also it seems to me that the requirement to choose a text code among hundreds before starting the project is quite tricky. How do I choose????

The user's manual is not that helpful. Thank you for any suggestions!

Monica

TMX files should be in unicode. Either UTF-8 or UTF-16.

There is a CAT tool that looks just like the Heartsome CAT, but also works

I'm not sure if I can mention its name in this context, it could be interpreted as free advertising for them. Not sure if the forum rules allow it.

But you can contact me privately and I will give you the details.

Regards,

Piotr

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Wrong CAT tool? Probably not... Nov 12, 2009

Hi Monica,
I never tried to import a .TMX file into Heartsome and reading your post made me wonder, so I thought the best thing to do was to try it.

Verdict: a .TMX file of 3.58 MB and generated by SDL Trados Freelance 2007 is imported into Heartsome (release 7.6) within some 45 seconds. Maybe not a "great performance", but it works...

My working horse is an iMac with 2 Intel processors @ 2.66 GHz, running on Mac OS X Snow Leopard v. 10.6.1

[Edited at 2009-11-12 21:05 GMT]

IT Pros Subs
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re: Wrong CAT tool? Probably not... Nov 13, 2009

Hallo Laurent, thank you for taking time to do this test. My working horse is exactly the same as yours and I am pretty confident I bought the right tool, maybe the problem is that my TMXs come from Trados Studio 2009. Can you tell me how you pick the text codes from the list for a normal word document? Also have you ever had any problems after editing the xliff file in re-converting that into Word after translation?

France
French to German
+ ...
Some details Nov 13, 2009

Monica Paolillo wrote:

Hallo Laurent, thank you for taking time to do this test. My working horse is exactly the same as yours and I am pretty confident I bought the right tool, maybe the problem is that my TMXs come from Trados Studio 2009. Can you tell me how you pick the text codes from the list for a normal word document? Also have you ever had any problems after editing the xliff file in re-converting that into Word after translation?

Hi Monica,
this is the codes I have in the headers of my .TMX file:

(you can see those headers by opening your .TMX with TextEdit, which is quite the same as Notepad in Windows). Have you checked the XML and DTD versions?

As per picking up the right codes, I never had to ask myself the question because I basically open .DOC files with OpenOffice Writer (format: .ODT), thus allowing Heartsome to automatically detect the codes or so it seems - the Code page option is grayed out and it says UTF-8 for DE>FR, FR>DE, EN>FR and EN>DE. After translating the files, I convert them back to .ODT and save them a second time as .DOC (as Heartsome can only process .DOCX directly).

As a matter of fact, I have not bothered installing the rather criticized Office for Mac on my machine. I will nevertheless make a conversion test with a .DOCX file created in Office for Windows 2007.

[Edited at 2009-11-13 09:24 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
DB engine Nov 13, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

I never tried to import a .TMX file into Heartsome and reading your post made me wonder, so I thought the best thing to do was to try it.

Verdict: a .TMX file of 3.58 MB and generated by SDL Trados Freelance 2007 is imported into Heartsome (release 7.6) within some 45 seconds. Maybe not a "great performance", but it works...

Huh.... my problem is rather to import 35.8 or 358 MB TMX files

My working horse is an iMac with 2 Intel processors @ 2.66 GHz, running on Mac OS X Snow Leopard v. 10.6.1.

I deserted from Heartsome camp approx. at the same time when Rodolfo Raya became independent and I have no longer contact with Heartsome (I have somewhere my H6 licences...).
It was not a political decision (although the Heartsome development seemed very slow in this time...), I simply have no time to learn all the tools on the market.

One of my major problems with H5 (and probably H6, I don't remember) was exactly the TMX loading speed which was resolved in both tools (at least in Swordfish) by the integration of external data base engines.
According to the documention, the so called internal DB format was intended only for small amounts of data and maybe the Monica's problem is related to the selected DB engine.

Cheers
GG

France
French to German
+ ...
Quite possible... Nov 13, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
One of my major problems with H5 (and probably H6, I don't remember) was exactly the TMX loading speed which was resolved in both tools (at least in Swordfish) by the integration of external data base engines.
According to the documention, the so called internal DB format was intended only for small amounts of data and maybe the Monica's problem is related to the selected DB engine.

Cheers
GG

and worth a little additional test, IMHO - HS 7.6 has also integrated external database engines (from what I see).

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
DB engine... MySQL... Nov 13, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

and worth a little additional test, IMHO - HS 7.6 has also integrated external database engines (from what I see).

As you use Mac, MySQL will be the easiest choice, I suppose.

A short setup guide is available at:
http://www.maxprograms.com/support/MySQLonMac.html
It's for Swordfish but I suppose this window still looks the same in Heartsome

Chers
GG

[Edited at 2009-11-13 10:02 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
Sure... Nov 13, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

http://www.maxprograms.com/support/MySQLonMac.html
It's for Swordfish but I suppose this window still looks the same in Heartsome

Chers
GG

it looks the same.

IT Pros Subs
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
codes in the headers Nov 13, 2009

Hi everybody. I followed the instructions to install MySQL on Mac. Everything ran smoothly. Unfortunately there is no option available in HS Studio to choose MySQL upon creating a DB.

For Laurent: the codes in my headers are the same as yours but my file is over 400 MB.

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Monica Paolillo wrote:

Hi Monica,
this is the codes I have in the headers of my .TMX file:

(you can see those headers by opening your .TMX with TextEdit, which is quite the same as Notepad in Windows). Have you checked the XML and DTD versions?

As per picking up the right codes, I never had to ask myself the question because I basically open .DOC files with OpenOffice Writer (format: .ODT), thus allowing Heartsome to automatically detect the codes or so it seems - the Code page option is grayed out and it says UTF-8 for DE>FR, FR>DE, EN>FR and EN>DE. After translating the files, I convert them back to .ODT and save them a second time as .DOC (as Heartsome can only process .DOCX directly).

As a matter of fact, I have not bothered installing the rather criticized Office for Mac on my machine. I will nevertheless make a conversion test with a .DOCX file created in Office for Windows 2007.

[Edited at 2009-11-13 09:24 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
Procedure Nov 13, 2009

Monica Paolillo wrote:

Hi everybody. I followed the instructions to install MySQL on Mac. Everything ran smoothly. Unfortunately there is no option available in HS Studio to choose MySQL upon creating a DB.

Database > Create TM/TB > Database Type (select from the scrolling menu, options available: Internal DB, MySQL 4.x, MySQL 5.x, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MsSQL2000)

HTH

[Edited at 2009-11-13 14:24 GMT]

IT Pros Subs
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is no Database Type option or menu in my version Nov 13, 2009

All you can do is CREATE DB/TM and select "optimize for match quality/speed"

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Monica Paolillo wrote:

Database > Create TM/TB > Database Type (select from the scrolling menu, options available: Internal DB, MySQL 4.x, MySQL 5.x, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MsSQL2000)

HTH

[Edited at 2009-11-13 14:24 GMT]

France
French to German
+ ...
Which version? Nov 13, 2009

Hi Monica,
I have the Heartsome CAT Bundle R 7.6 (to be more precise: Version 7.6.1 - Build 2009-09-24S - Professional), which includes Heartsome Translation Studio (btw, this is what is displayed when I launch HS) - which version is yours?

[Edited at 2009-11-13 14:43 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Apologies Nov 13, 2009

Well, Monica, I'm sorry for suggesting that you chose the wrong CAT tool. Everybody is free to choose the tool etc. they like for their job.
I wish Heartsome Studio release 7 should work for you, but when I beta tested it, my first impression was the same as yours - all sorts of problems with importing/exporting TMs.

Then I gave up on Heartsome completely and chose to stick with Maxprograms.

Regards,

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Heartsome anybody? (TMX problems - application keeps freezing after trying to import)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search