Problems when cleaning up files!
Thread poster: quincey

quincey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
Swedish to English
+ ...
Oct 21, 2003

When I try to clean up a file I get a message saying 'Invalid record reference in xxx.tmw'!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:37
English to German
+ ...
More details, please Oct 21, 2003

Hi Quincey,
A few suggestions, actually...

First of all, I'm moving this thread to CAT Tool Support, where it's more appropriate.

But more importantly, it's essential to provide as much information as you can:

- Which CAT tool are you using (ok, I can guess it's Trados, but which version?)?
- What sort of file are you trying to clean?
- Have you tried reorganising your TM?

This article from the Trados Knowledge Base might be helpful.

If you need to get the document cleaned asap, you can use the TW4WinClean.Main macro (bear in mind that this will not update your TM with any subsequent changes you may have made, as a normal cleanup would).

HTH, Ralf

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That helped- but now there's another problem! Oct 21, 2003

Hi!
Thanks, reorganising the TM helped, but now there are a number of 'green >>' in the cleaned up file. I have searched the online support, but can't seem to find an answer anywhere.
Thanks
Quincey

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry forgot to say which version Oct 21, 2003

It's 5.5 Freelance and I'm trying to clean up a Word file.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:37
English to German
+ ...
Problems in manual editing Oct 21, 2003

Hi again,
Thanks, reorganising the TM helped, but now there are a number of 'green >>' in the cleaned up file. I have searched the online support, but can't seem to find an answer anywhere.
Thanks
Quincey

This means that some of the tags delimiting source and target segment were damaged. This is most likely to occur when editing a file without displaying hidden text. (It's ok just to look at the target when doing the final check, but always display everything when making a change. To be on the safe side, open the segment you want to edit, make the change, and Set/Close again.)

The easiest way to rectify this to manually adjust the segments concerned in the document.

Best regards, Ralf

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help! Oct 21, 2003

I'm getting there slowly but surely!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems when cleaning up files!

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search