Thread poster: Susan Welsh

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:41
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2010

Has anyone used the Snowball translation memory software, from Total Recall ApS? I downloaded a trial, out of curiosity, and looked over the user's guide, but haven't waded into deep into the water yet. It seems so strange--not like your usual CAT tool at all. I can scarcely figure out what it does. I'm wondering whether it's worth bothering with.

Thanks,
Susan

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:41
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
does not look like dynamite to me Jan 2, 2010

Susan Welsh wrote
Has anyone used the Snowball translation memory software, from Total Recall ApS? I downloaded a trial, out of curiosity ... I'm wondering whether it's worth bothering with.

hi Susan:

check the google group: http://groups.google.com/group/snowballtm

three threads with 0,6,0 responses since feb 2009. Fun reading btw.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2010-01-02 18:21 GMT]

Susana Alves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:41
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I use it, and i like it. :-) Jan 2, 2010

It is quite different. I suggest you import your current TM and glossaries and then give it a whirl. The cheat sheet http://www.trmem.com/support/cheat-sheet/ that Erich made should help with the commands in snowball.

It's very different from the other tools, I've also used Wordfast, though not Trados, and I'm hooked on snowball. I really like that it can translate term by term which saves me looking up glossaries and style sheets for terms that have to be exactly the same each time. I also can translate by segments and with use, I've noticed that it is getting smarter.

-Susana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Snowball

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search