Thread poster: Susan Welsh

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:31
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2010

Has anyone used the Snowball translation memory software, from Total Recall ApS? I downloaded a trial, out of curiosity, and looked over the user's guide, but haven't waded into deep into the water yet. It seems so strange--not like your usual CAT tool at all. I can scarcely figure out what it does. I'm wondering whether it's worth bothering with.

Thanks,
Susan

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 15:31
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
does not look like dynamite to me Jan 2, 2010

Susan Welsh wrote
Has anyone used the Snowball translation memory software, from Total Recall ApS? I downloaded a trial, out of curiosity ... I'm wondering whether it's worth bothering with.

hi Susan:

check the google group: http://groups.google.com/group/snowballtm

three threads with 0,6,0 responses since feb 2009. Fun reading btw.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2010-01-02 18:21 GMT]

Susana Alves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I use it, and i like it. :-) Jan 2, 2010

It is quite different. I suggest you import your current TM and glossaries and then give it a whirl. The cheat sheet http://www.trmem.com/support/cheat-sheet/ that Erich made should help with the commands in snowball.

It's very different from the other tools, I've also used Wordfast, though not Trados, and I'm hooked on snowball. I really like that it can translate term by term which saves me looking up glossaries and style sheets for terms that have to be exactly the same each time. I also can translate by segments and with use, I've noticed that it is getting smarter.icon_smile.gif

-Susana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Snowball

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search