Cross references - bookmarks - Which is the best CAT tool to use?
Thread poster: SusieZ

SusieZ
United States
Local time: 23:57
German to English
Jan 12, 2010

Hello,

I am working on a very large project with a few thousand cross references. I usually work with Wordfast Classic (V. 5.6), but Word (2007) has been crashing and at one point when I wanted to move to the next segment during translation, the system created one big cross reference from there across the entire remaining 530 pages or so:)). Eventually I simply unlinked the bookmarks and continued the translation. My thought is, once I have the TM I'll have to find a way to work through the entire file again without ruining the original bookmarks / cross references so that the target text works like the source text.

I was hoping I would just run the TM through Wordfast Pro, but a quick trial showed that the cross references were not available in the target text I created.

I don't have Trados, so I have no idea if it works better for this purpose. I've always thought Wordfast was very good with this process, and in fact for smaller documents it works just fine.

Is there a workaround? Another free tool or a trial version I can use to create the final document once the TM is finished?

Thanks for any help.

Susie

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 22:57
Spanish
+ ...
In my experience: Studio and Transit Jan 12, 2010

A few years ago, I translated a manual with a very large number of cross-references (index items), embedded objects with multiple levels (e.g., an embedded graphic embedded in an Excel table embedded as a Word object embedded in the Word document--I'm not kidding you). It was a complete nightmare to translate but I managed to do it with Transit and the help of some colleagues.)

I now use Studio. It adds one tag per x-reference and it works flawlessly (unlike TagEditor).

Unfortunately, none of them are free or have a demo. I think you can request a trial version from Transit, which I think will be sent to you via mail.

You can try MemoQ. It has a trial version, with certain limitations, and it might be able to handle cross-references.

Good luck,

Claudia

SysfilterMaker
Germany
Local time: 05:57
Macro Jan 13, 2010

Hi Susie,

Here you can find a bookmark macro for MS Word. It makes all REF bookmarks visible for translation. After translation process the origianl bookmarks can be created again.

Bookmark macro
Bookmark_Start: Search for all REF bookmarks in active MS Word document and converts them to format "tw4wininternal" and makes them visible.
Bookmark_Back: Creates the original bookmarks again.
Perfect for preparation of MS Word files for translation using Trados or Wordfast in MS Word.

http://www.ecm-e.de/cm_en/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=13&thread_id=66

Maybe this helps / Grüße

Wilhelm

SusieZ
United States
Local time: 23:57
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 13, 2010

Thank you Wilhelm! That sounds promising - I'll try that.

Gruesse zurueck:)

Susie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cross references - bookmarks - Which is the best CAT tool to use?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search