TagEditor and Wordfast
Thread poster: xxxmargaretwf
xxxmargaretwf  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:55
French to English
Feb 1, 2010

I have Wordfast 5.53q and have just received a document in TagEditor. Is it possible to work on this text with Wordfast and if so, how do I set about it? Margaret

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Not really Feb 1, 2010

Hi Margaret,

There are some workarounds to do it, try searching the yahoo group for more information. I think you need a demo version of Trados to make it work, and plenty of coffee.

I wanted to suggest this post for more details:

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/56714-wordfast_trados_compatibility.html#430016

But the link supplied by Dominique no longer works.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt it, here is a little anecdote - I had provided some WF tutoring to a colleague who was just getting started with CAT tools, and had explained to her that TWB bilingual files are the same as WF bilingual files, and that TMX memories could be exchanged between the two tools. What I didn't tell her is that the opposite is true of TTX files, they really shouldn't be handled in WF unless you're Dominique or Aleksandar.

Several weeks later, I got a panicked phone call, the colleague had accepted a TTX file for proofreading and it was a disaster, somehow she got TMX and TTX confused (actually, some of my agency clients do that too...). Anyhow, things turned out rather badly for my colleague, she didn't know what she was doing when it came to that type of file format.

Perhaps the best advice is to always do a small test on a small portion of the file in question. Send it back to your client and make sure they can still use it, then you'll know if you were successful or not, and if you can take on the whole project.

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor and Wordfast Feb 1, 2010

Thanks Lori. I had already decided that it was a "no go" and turned down the job unless they can send me the document in Word.
Margaret

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:55
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
You should Use TTXpress for converting ttx from/to rtf Feb 2, 2010

Although my usual method for translating ttx files involves pre-translating them with a TRADOS demo version for making them workable with DéjàVu, I have used this template in the past for working ttx files with Word and Wordfast Classic.

You can download it from http://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=3076.0

Saludos

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor and Wordfast Feb 2, 2010

Thanks Jorge,

I have turned down the translation but will take a look at the link you sent and play around with it so that next time I get a similar request, I will be able to take on the job. Margare

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:55
New file format support coming soon Feb 3, 2010

Hi All,

In the coming weeks, we will be releasing a new version of Wordfast Classic that will be able to handle additional file formats including TTX files so you won't need to turn down these jobs! This new version will also be able to handle TXML files so you'll be able to use Wordfast Classic to translate any file format that Wordfast Pro can handle. We will also add support for PDF files. I will let you all know when this new version becomes available.

Sincerely,

Kristyna Marrero
Director, Sales & Marketing
Wordfast LLC

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-02-03 16:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor and Wordfast

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search