https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/16053-trados_newbie_installation_query.html

Trados newbie - installation query.
Thread poster: achisholm
achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:02
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 21, 2003

Hello, I have just received and installed Trados 6. I Installed the SW and Multiterm as instructed, and have started the Workbench and peformed a test translation. I now want to do something more serious, and when I insert the USB dongle, my computer (running Win XP pro) detects the dongle as new hardware but can't seem to find a driver, even if I point it to the Trados CDs. I have looked quickly through the documentation, which mentions inserting the dongle at the end of the installation proces... See more
Hello, I have just received and installed Trados 6. I Installed the SW and Multiterm as instructed, and have started the Workbench and peformed a test translation. I now want to do something more serious, and when I insert the USB dongle, my computer (running Win XP pro) detects the dongle as new hardware but can't seem to find a driver, even if I point it to the Trados CDs. I have looked quickly through the documentation, which mentions inserting the dongle at the end of the installation process, otherwise only Demo mode will work, but I can't seem to find any refs relating to how I can find a driver for the dongle and install it.

Any help very much appreciated.
Collapse

WWright454
WWright454
United States
Local time: 10:02
English to French
+ ...
What I did... Nov 22, 2003

Alexander Chisholm wrote:

Hello, I have just received and installed Trados 6. I Installed the SW and Multiterm as instructed, and have started the Workbench and peformed a test translation. I now want to do something more serious, and when I insert the USB dongle, my computer (running Win XP pro) detects the dongle as new hardware but can't seem to find a driver, even if I point it to the Trados CDs. I have looked quickly through the documentation, which mentions inserting the dongle at the end of the installation process, otherwise only Demo mode will work, but I can't seem to find any refs relating to how I can find a driver for the dongle and install it.

Any help very much appreciated.

Hi Alexander,

I’m a Trados newbie also and had a similar problem although I’m not running XP. I went to translationzone.com, clicked on “get support and training” then “knowledge base” then typed “dongle” as the keyword. I sifted through the articles and found: http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=766 which allowed me to download the latest driver for Windows 98. Hopefully you'll find what you need there.

Kim

Caro McL
Caro McL
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
Dongle drivers Nov 22, 2003

Hi Alexander,

I found this info at http://support.trados.com/faq.asp#766
I haven't tried Version 6.0 yet so I don't know if it applies but I guess it is worth a try.

How to install the latest version of the dongle drivers.

Symptoms:
The TRADOS application you would like to use opens in "demo mode" although a dongle is attached to e
... See more
Hi Alexander,

I found this info at http://support.trados.com/faq.asp#766
I haven't tried Version 6.0 yet so I don't know if it applies but I guess it is worth a try.

How to install the latest version of the dongle drivers.

Symptoms:
The TRADOS application you would like to use opens in "demo mode" although a dongle is attached to either the parallel port or a USB port on your computer.

Explanation:
Dongle drivers are normally installed during the installation of TRADOS products. In some cases, older dongle drivers may not enable the license correctly. In this event, it is recommended that you install the latest dongle drivers. If you are using a USB dongle, only the latest dongle drivers will work.

Steps:
To install the latest dongle drivers:

Download the latest dongle drivers from the Rainbow (dongle manufacturer) web site.
When prompted, select Save to Disk so that you can save the downloaded file to your system.
Save SSD5411-32bit.exe (a self-extracting archive) to the folder of your choice, for example c:temp.
Double-click SSD5411-32bit.exe. A wizard guides you through the installation.
Accept the default setting, Complete and click Next.
To finish the installation click Finish.

There is also a Trados Users group on Yahoo that you might consider subscribing to.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/messages/

Finally, do you definitely need to use a USB dongle? see
http://www.translationzone.com/sublink.asp?ID=516

Since USB dongles will not allow you to attach additional devices at that site, TRADOS recommends that you only use a USB dongle if your computer does not have a Parallel port.
[Edited at 2003-11-22 10:22]

[Edited at 2003-11-22 10:24]
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for the pointers. Nov 22, 2003

Many thanks, both answers got me going in the right direction.

I had been searching the Trados knowledge base for "dongle + installation" and not finding many hits. With the links you gave me, I then searched for "dongle + driver" and this led me to a few other threads which explained that the drivers are not on the Trados CD (which I was where I assumed they would be - and had spent hours searching in vain) but are unpacked from the CD during installation and put into a subdirector
... See more
Many thanks, both answers got me going in the right direction.

I had been searching the Trados knowledge base for "dongle + installation" and not finding many hits. With the links you gave me, I then searched for "dongle + driver" and this led me to a few other threads which explained that the drivers are not on the Trados CD (which I was where I assumed they would be - and had spent hours searching in vain) but are unpacked from the CD during installation and put into a subdirectory on the hard drive
\programmi\TRADOS\T65_FL\Dongle Drivers\
in this directoty you'll find an .exe file which you run (without the dongle in position - but it reminds you of that fact anyway during installation) and once run you can then insert the dongle which will be recognised perfectly.

I was so glad to get that resolved, as my fear was, with it being the weekend, I woiuldn't get much help from Trados until monday.

I'm sure I'll have lots more things to sort out and learn, so I'm sure I'll be making frequent postings here, but for the meantime, thanks to all for taking the time to answer and giving me the right leads to follow up.

Cheers.

Sandy
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:02
English to German
+ ...
TW_users Nov 22, 2003

Hi Alexander,
Keep asking.
It's also a good idea to join TW_users and search their archives - chances are someone else had the same problem before.

Good luck, Ralf

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks. Nov 23, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Alexander,
Keep asking.
It's also a good idea to join TW_users and search their archives - chances are someone else had the same problem before.

Good luck, Ralf

Many thanks for the links. I'm keen to have a look at as many sites of that nature as I can.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados newbie - installation query.

Translation news related to CAT tools

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »