https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/162521-importing_xls_glossary_into_trados_across_ger_en.html

Importing XLS Glossary into TRADOS/Across (GER-EN)
Thread poster: Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:12
English to German
+ ...
Apr 12, 2010

Hello all,

I have TRADOS/MultiTerm 7 and Across 5 available and wondering whether there is a solution for the following problem:

My current job is to translate several job descriptions for SAP professionals.
These consist almost entirely of SAP terminology. I do have a good (and huge - 36,000 entries) .XLS glossary, however, it takes forever to look up each term manually (usually I need to look up the same term multiple times).

Is there a simple way t
... See more
Hello all,

I have TRADOS/MultiTerm 7 and Across 5 available and wondering whether there is a solution for the following problem:

These consist almost entirely of SAP terminology. I do have a good (and huge - 36,000 entries) .XLS glossary, however, it takes forever to look up each term manually (usually I need to look up the same term multiple times).

Is there a simple way to have most of the text machine-translated, or at least have the program tell me the correct terms? I would probably have to feed the Excel glossary into my translation memory somehow, a feat which, to my great shame, I have failed to accomplish so far.

I know that all TRADOS pros are going to sneer now because the procedure is probably quite simple. In this special case, however, finding the right solution would almost take me as long as translating the entire text, so I hope that there is someone out there that knows just what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:12
German to English
Not difficult in Trados Apr 12, 2010

Look at this pdf:
http://trados-training.tts-td.com/Multiterm.pdf

It will take quite a while for your computer to process your Excel sheet (there are several steps involved). Your actual work will only take a few minutes; the computer does the rest.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Importing XLS Glossary into TRADOS/Across (GER-EN) Apr 12, 2010

edm176 wrote:

Hello all,

Is there a simple way to have most of the text machine-translated, or at least have the program tell me the correct terms? I would probably have to feed the Excel glossary into my translation memory somehow, a feat which, to my great shame, I have failed to accomplish so far.

I know that all TRADOS pros are going to sneer now because the procedure is probably quite simple. In this special case, however, finding the right solution would almost take me as long as translating the entire text, so I hope that there is someone out there that knows just what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Are you asking how to load your glossary to Multiterm or how create a memory with your glossary or both?

a) The first has been already answered.

b) The second is quite simple to do, if the glossary is a two columns excel list. It is explained here.

c) Another method is to download the Apsic Workbench utility, load your glossary to it, an then export it to a TMX memory.

[Editado a las 2010-04-12 20:45 GMT]

Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Apr 13, 2010

Thank you for your helpful hints!
I now managed to create a term base, however, I keep getting runtime errors (null error in Trados Workbench and runtime error in Word) when I try to use it.

I though I could somehow have MultiTerm tell me the right translation while I am still in the Word document. A TM couldn't do the job because the text has different sentences, and each sentence has about 3 or 4 special terms from an SAP database with 36,000 entries.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing XLS Glossary into TRADOS/Across (GER-EN)

Translation news related to CAT tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »