Thread poster: Margreet Mohle

Margreet Mohle  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:42
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 8, 2010

I'm new to CAT tools, and have tried to install Alchemy Publisher 2.0; however I cannot get the TM installed (Language Exchange), because of the prerequisite of Microsoft SQLServer Express, which in turn needs IIS. This is not available on the Home Edition of Windows xp (which happens to be what is on my computer), as I just found out after much searching. (I'm having a steep learning curve in IT terms).

Since I'm still trying to decide what CAT tool to get, I'd like to know if this will be a common problem to all CAT Tools. I'm thinking of getting another computer, and would like to make sure I get the right OS from the start.

Thanks for any input.

Margreet Mohle

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:42
English to Czech
+ ...
Never heard of anything similar Jun 8, 2010

Hi Margreet,
I'm sorry for your experience. To answer your question, I'm not aware of any similar issues with other CATs.

After my experience with Across, I would, however, avoid any tool that installs any version of MS SQL Server. There are several reasons for that, possible compatibility issues like yours being one of them.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
IIS on XP Home... Jun 8, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

I'm sorry for your experience. To answer your question, I'm not aware of any similar issues with other CATs.

True, IIS seems somehow exagerated.
And it seems we have a case of false publicity if the Alchemy guys omit to mention openly it doesn't work on XP Home which is still supported by MS ('til 2014)

Indeed, IIS is not provided with Windows XP Home.
Howewer, you can install it using procedures you can spot on the Net.
E.g. http://adamv.com/dev/articles/iis-on-xp-home
A Windows 2000 CD is needed.
It is not supported by MS but it works.

After my experience with Across, I would, however, avoid any tool that installs any version of MS SQL Server. There are several reasons for that, possible compatibility issues like yours being one of them.

AFAIK you use Transit which installs MSDE which is a lite version of MS SQL Server 2000

PS.
4 working SQL Server instances here
But it's true, some programs may behave in an erratic way.
Like you, I experienced a lot of problems with the Across SQL instance in several Across versions and on several machines.
It seems to be fixed now but I can't guarantee it.
The Publisher instance behaves well, AFAIK.

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
SQL servers in CAT tools... OS version... Jun 8, 2010

Margreet Mohle wrote:

(...) because of the prerequisite of Microsoft SQLServer Express, which in turn needs IIS.

Very few CAT tools need SQLServer Express.
A lot of 'em don't use SQL servers at all or use portable versions which are completely transparent and have no special prerequisites (e.g. Trados 2009 or memoQ).
In some cases, e.g. Swordfish, you may select the SQL engine i.e. avoid MS SQL and select, let's say, Oracle or MySQL.
Generally, if you think you're rather an IT dummy, avoid "full size" SQL servers, they need more user attention.

Since I'm still trying to decide what CAT tool to get, I'd like to know if this will be a common problem to all CAT Tools. I'm thinking of getting another computer, and would like to make sure I get the right OS from the start.

A Professional (or equivalent/higher) OS version is always better.
E.g. with Windows 7, you receive a virtual XP machine which may help you a lot in some software (in)compatibility cases.

Cheers
GG

Canada
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 8, 2010

Thank you all for your input. I guess there is a lot more to take into account before buying a product than I thought.

[quote]Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Generally, if you think you're rather an IT dummy, avoid "full size" SQL servers, they need more user attention.

Yes, I do consider myself an IT dummy... unfortunately. Could you clarify the "full size" SQL server (I barely know what an SQL server does, except that it fools around with my firewall settings) ?

Thanks again,

Margreet

French to Polish
+ ...
SQL server variants... Jun 8, 2010

Margreet Mohle wrote:

Yes, I do consider myself an IT dummy... unfortunately. Could you clarify the "full size" SQL server

Full size is MS SQL Server Express (free of charge) or the paid editions.
Or Oracle Express or greater.
Or any flavour of MySQL.

Everything which acts as as a service and is launched by default with the OS unlike the "portable" solutions which are launched with the program.

(I barely know what an SQL server does, except that it fools around with my firewall settings) ?

It's just a database server.

Cheers
GG

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:42
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Of course, not Jun 9, 2010

Margreet Mohle wrote:

the prerequisite of Microsoft SQLServer Express…

I'd like to know if this will be a common problem to all CAT Tools

Of course, not. This is a problem to CAT tools that are developed by coders that rely on Microsoft’s Greek gifts. Such programs as OmegaT or Wordfast Pro are Java applications that require only a JRE (Java Runtime Environment) freely downloadable from www.java.com.

Canada
Member (2010)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! Jun 9, 2010

You're all very helpful, I'm not sure where I would go if it wasn't for the forums here.
I'm going to try OmegaT, and maybe Wordfast; there's budget issues, too (I'm just starting out.)

Margreet

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Running a TM on Windows xp Home Edition

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search