Any tricks to make slow Translation Workspace work faster?
Thread poster: Els Hoefman

Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:17
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 17, 2010

I am using the free trial version of Translation Workspace and it is terribly slow again. The documents I am working on contain a lot of full and fuzzy matches and I spend more time waiting for the next segment to open than actually translating.
I wish I had not accepted another TW assignment... but I'll have to complete it now.
Does anyone have any tricks to speed up things? I was thinking of things like working in the draft view mode in Word, which I am now trying but which does not seem to do much good.
Any ideas would be appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Cheng Peng  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:17
Member (2010)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TW exchanges data with remote server through Internet, that why it is slow Jun 17, 2010

TW exchanges data with a remote server on the Internet. That's why it is slow. Net latency is the main cause for its sluggish performance. When using LB TW, you have to waste much of time waiting for the server to respond and send the matches back. This makes it a low efficiency tool.

Other tools like Trados read from and write into TM locally, so they‘re much faster.

Increasing network broadwidth may bring improvement, but it might not improve significantly.

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Do you have to struggle on forever? Jun 17, 2010

If you are obliged to use a tool owned by the client to do the job - and the tool is not fit for purpose because it is too slow, then I wonder if you really have to struggle on.

Simply tell them that you will deliver in another format - or you will cancel the order. Remember that you are not an employee.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Agree with John Jun 17, 2010

If the TW server were down, the situation would be crystal clear: the technical conditions to complete the assignment, which are out of your control, were not adequately ensured by the requesting party, so the agreement should be void – with appropriate compensation. The agreement between you and your client should contain adequate provisions for the case at hand.

If I were a wholesale translation buyer interested in paying rock-bottom prices (and then pressing them further down), I would probably start by testing the waters this way. I would slow the system down somehow, and ensure that translators have to spend, say, 20% more time time with their assignments. If they accept this for about a month without rants, I would announce a major hardware overhaul that corrects all previous malfunctions – coupled with a new "pricing policy". I would leave them at least a week to experiment with the new hardware, so that they can really see: they are actually making more money than in the past month.

Kind regards,
Attila

Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So... no tips? Jun 17, 2010

Thank you for your reactions so far.

I was aware that TW could be slow when I accepted the job - and since I have accepted it, I will not cancel the order and I will indeed struggle on.

I would just like to know what, if anything, I can do to optimise things so that I can work with less frustrations and stress. I was hoping some of my colleagues would be able to share tips.

But you will be happy to hear that I refused a follow-up assignment in TW - and I am not planning on buying a licence when the trial period is over! Goodbye Translation Workspace!

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Goodbye TW Jun 17, 2010

Els Hoefman wrote:

But you will be happy to hear that I refused a follow-up assignment in TW - and I am not planning on buying a licence when the trial period is over! Goodbye Translation Workspace!

A wise decision Els!

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thumbs up! Jun 17, 2010

Els Hoefman wrote:

This is the essence of freelancing: you choose who you want to work with. Taking control back over your working conditions is the way to go.

Cheers,
Attila

Witold Hrycyk  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
This tool is not for freelancers... Jun 26, 2010

That's probably late, but just for your knowledge:

Logoport/Translation Workspace is not a tool created with the translator in mind - it is a tool created by an outsourcer and for an outsourcer, and that primordial sin lingers on, affecting the product's usability for end users. Also there seems to be little done about even simple flaws that could ease freelancers' lives a lot. It was well until recently that Logoport kept on waisting time on refreshing the screen while automatically changing segments, even if that was a matter of setting a simple yes/no option so that it doesn't. Apparently it still repaginates the document when opening every new segment (you may occasionally see a status bar with the repagination message), which is absurd and eats up whole oceans of time in case of, say, 300-page long documents with lots of 100% matches.

The solutions that I found useful were splitting big documents into small parts and resizing the Word window down to a tiny square.

Of course it is ridiculous that we have to resort to tricks like that instead of the developers fixing the bugs and I can't even imagine the reasons behind the decision to charge for the use of this faulty product.

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
tips Jun 26, 2010

In order of being helpful, of course - assuming it's too late to tell Liox you won't do this one:

1. Don't use TW. Ask the PM to export the TM to the .tmx format, then re-tag the document (using TW) to the "external" format, then use Trados, Wordfast Classic or anything else that'll work, then re-tag the document back to the TW format using TW.

2. Use TW Tools to convert the original document to the xliff format and translate using Xliff Editor, which is as fast as a proper CAT tool. However, Xliff may segment documents differently and contain different tags, especially when links are present. Experiment with a representative half a page first.

3. Translate all exact matches while checking the "pre-segment" box. Then replace the target text as you please without opening the segments. Don't forget to clean and store when you're done. Downside: you'll lose the fuzzy matches (not always a downside with Liox though).

Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 28, 2010

Thank you for the tips, they were what is was looking for and I hope they will benefit other people later. As it turned out I had to stop working on the assignment before I could finish it, because the problems were too serious. I translated about 800 words in five hours. I was asked by the support team to "repair" my Office installation to see if that would help. I might try that later, when I am not so busy, but I am not planning on buying TW anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any tricks to make slow Translation Workspace work faster?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search