what was the first CAT tool that introduced machine translation module?
Thread poster: research guy (X)

research guy (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2010

Can you remember? Was it a statistical or rule based machine translation module?

[Edited at 2010-07-21 16:25 GMT]

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:42
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Directly and indirectly Jul 21, 2010

Trados has always (?) supported MT software like Systran, but indirectly, i.e. you could import and export files for MT pretranslation in specific formats.
The first one to include MT directly, i.e. during interactive translation, might have been Wordfast Classic, which supports various external MT software as well as Google Translate and other online services (if you can configure them).

Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:42
Member (2005)
Latin to English
+ ...
Anecdote on ancient history of machine translation. Jul 21, 2010

The efforts to arrive at machine translation go back, as far as I know, to the fifties. I recall reading as a boy (i.e. in the fifties) an article on the subject in which the expiriment was made of translating the Biblical text "The Spirit is but the flesh is weak" into another language and back again. (The New testamaent is of course in koine Greek, but -- and I admit these are memories of a distant time -- I think the King James text was translated into German (I believe) and back again, and came out as "The Ghost is willing but the meat is raw." Which showed the long road ahead. (Note the errors: in the King James Bible we have the phrase "Holy ghost" which in modern texts is usually translated "Holy Spirit". It wasn't the Holy Ghost that was being referred to in this passage, but the program couldn't make the distingtion. "ready" and "willing are synonyms, but not perfect ones. "meat" and flesh are not exactly synonyms in english but are closer to being so in German (You wouldn't find "Flesh Dishes" on an english menu but you would find the equivalent (Fleischgerichte) in German. The point of my citing this obscure expirement is that it shows how machine translation's greatest challenge is the inability to apply context. Any human English or German translator would have immediately recognized the Biblical text and sought a standard version in the other language. Anyway, for your reasearches I'm sure you can find an article in Google on this subject. Regards, Tom

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Déjà Vu Aug 14, 2010

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

Trados has always (?) supported MT software like Systran, but indirectly, i.e. you could import and export files for MT pretranslation in specific formats.
The first one to include MT directly, i.e. during interactive translation, might have been Wordfast Classic, which supports various external MT software as well as Google Translate and other online services (if you can configure them).

Nonetheless, they still use external engines.
Probably the first fully integrated MT engine was implemented in Déjà Vu (version 3 AFAIK), it uses the EBMT approach.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-14 22:24 GMT]

claude
Thailand
English to French
IBM stuff Aug 14, 2010

I used an IBM tool in the 1990s (can't remember the name as it is an IBM product) but I think Trados was already around too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what was the first CAT tool that introduced machine translation module?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search