https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/179684-cat_tools_recommendation.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
CAT tools - recommendation
Thread poster: Shirley Finkel-Hall
Shirley Finkel-Hall
Shirley Finkel-Hall  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 10:50
Spanish to English
Sep 7, 2010

Hi there

I've recently joined Proz.com and it's evident that many clients / job posters require the translator to have ceratin CAT tools in order to complete the work.

This is a very general question, but are there any CAT tools that stand out above the rest and are not that difficult to work with? Before I invest, I would just like some advice.

Thank you & look forward to a response.

Shirley

Radu Nicolaescu
Radu Nicolaescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:50
Member (2006)
German to Romanian
+ ...
the one which fits your needs Sep 7, 2010

Hello Shirley,

it is useless to make a plain rating

they differ by:

- price
- friendliness of interface
- easiness of installation
- learning curve
- filters for different document formats
- additional features (spell-checker, eg.)

many of them give test versions, in order to see what they can do and how you like them

make a little research: which are most required by translation companies?

... See more
Hello Shirley,

it is useless to make a plain rating

they differ by:

- price
- friendliness of interface
- easiness of installation
- learning curve
- filters for different document formats
- additional features (spell-checker, eg.)

many of them give test versions, in order to see what they can do and how you like them

make a little research: which are most required by translation companies?

you must find the most frequently used in the intended areas and language combinations to meet the current requirements

being active in another area (engineering) and language combinations, I really cannot give a straight answer: this one is for you

good luck in the business

Radu
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:50
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
memoQ Sep 7, 2010

I have tried around 5 or 6, and I would highly recommend getting memoQ. At the moment, memoQ has the best CAT tool on the market, and together with their amazing support team (and great Yahoo group) it is a pleasure to work with. memoQ can handle almost all of the annoying old Trados formats, without the bother of having to mess around and waste your time using Trados.

Michael

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Loves and hates Sep 7, 2010

This is a very difficult question to anwer. Each of us has a favourite tool (in my case MemoQ), but very honestly you should try out as many as you possibly can, so that you can choose the one that best fits your needs.

Shirley Finkel-Hall
Shirley Finkel-Hall  Identity Verified
South Africa
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tools - recommendation Sep 7, 2010

Thanks very much for the advice and tips.

I will definitely sample some CAT tools before purchasing, I 've done some initial research and there's a few that seem to stand out more than the rest like Wordfast & SDL Trados, MemoQ and a few more.

Thank you,
Shirley

Wouter Vanhees
Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
MemoQ Sep 7, 2010

Hi Shirley,

I was in the same position not so long ago: wanting to invest in a CAT-tool, but not knowing which one. I also did some testing, and ended up getting MemoQ. And so far, I have absolutely no regrets

Good luck!

Wouter

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Personal preferences Sep 7, 2010

Just as Tomás wrote, this is very subjective, so you should definitely try out at least a few of them before you decide that the best one for you is, indeed, MemoQ.

(Sorry, just couldn't resist! Now, oh Mighty Moderator, do your duty...)

[Edited at 2010-09-07 19:15 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
He-he Sep 7, 2010

Why should the Mighty Moderator step in?

N.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Mod w/ SoH, that's what we like! Sep 7, 2010

Thought maybe it was a bit too playful and off-topic as an answer to a serious question...

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Recommendations Sep 7, 2010

is a really serious thing... though often rather subjective.

N.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
My 2 cents Sep 7, 2010

I own SDLT 2007+2009, Transit XV+NXT, and MemoQ, and although I do not use MemoQ much too often (I prefer Transit for acutal work) I think that MemoQ has a few advantages, especially for someone who starts with CAT tools:

- a relatively low cost (especially regarding its scope of formats)
- top-level support
- "ergonomic logic" (but I admit that this aspect is subjective)

As a matter of fact, when I was purchasing it I was told by Kilgray that their plans in
... See more
I own SDLT 2007+2009, Transit XV+NXT, and MemoQ, and although I do not use MemoQ much too often (I prefer Transit for acutal work) I think that MemoQ has a few advantages, especially for someone who starts with CAT tools:

- a relatively low cost (especially regarding its scope of formats)
- top-level support
- "ergonomic logic" (but I admit that this aspect is subjective)

As a matter of fact, when I was purchasing it I was told by Kilgray that their plans included possibility to create and process SDLT 2009 format files (sdlxliff) - does anyone happen to have any experience in this direction?

Antonin
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
SDLT 2009 files in memoQ Sep 7, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

As a matter of fact, when I was purchasing it I was told by Kilgray that their plans included possibility to create and process SDLT 2009 format files (sdlxliff) - does anyone happen to have any experience in this direction?

Just import your SDLT 2009 files
The support is not yet perfect (so why it's not trumpeted) but it works.
See my comments at http://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/178820-editing_trados_studio_files_in_memoq.html

Cheers
GG

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nope... Sep 8, 2010

Shirley Finkel wrote:
This is a very general question, but are there any CAT tools that stand out above the rest and are not that difficult to work with?

None stand out above the rest. Some have features that others don't have, but you generally don't use all features of the program anyway. All of them are difficult to use at first, but become easier to use once you get to know them.

Before I invest, I would just like some advice.

Download trial versions of the various tools and translate a few files in them. Sooner or later you'll discover something that you like.

Since you're in South Africa, I'd advise you to steer clear of Across, Fluency, and Wordfast Pro. I would further advise you to try Wordfast Classic and MemoQ first (although MemoQ is a bit pricey). You can also try OmegaT, but you'd have to download OpenOffice.org as well, which is quite big.

Keep in mind that if a client prefers a certain CAT tool, you may not necessarily be able to use a different tool... depending on the file format sent and required by the client. I would advise you not to worry about such things until you have figured out which CAT tool you like best for your own purposes.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed Sep 8, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Just import your SDLT 2009 files
The support is not yet perfect (so why it's not trumpeted) but it works.
See my comments at http://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/178820-editing_trados_studio_files_in_memoq.html[/quote]
Indeed. This is also my experience. Can work and return SDLXLIFF files perfectly, but the support is not 100% there.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:50
English to Thai
+ ...
Free trial CAT Sep 8, 2010

A number of free trial softwares are available on this Internet. To educate yourself at initial stages, I recommend the free software, whatever you can access.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools - recommendation

Translation news related to CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »