Difference between Across and Trados when working with XML files?
Thread poster: Louisa Berry

Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:43
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2010

Hi

I have Across version v500.0 C (i know I need to patch it but I am afraid to do so in case something goes wrong and I have a lot of work to do atm!)

I have been supplied two .xml files by my agency customer. I have not translated any xml files with Across before and my agency has supplied me with an .ini file which I believe from reading these forums is needed to tell the CAT tool how to handle/what the tags are.

When I load the files into Across it seems to hide the tags on its own and I can't find any settings where I can add the ini file.

From reading these forums it appears that in Tageditor you need to tell the CAT tool about the ini file.

So, really my questions are:

1) Do I need an .ini file for working in Across? Or is it that my agency presumes I am working in Trados and has therefore sent me and ini file?

2) The tags in the ini file do not correspond at all to the tags in the xml? Is that normal? Or is it to do with telling Trados/another CAT tool what to do?

Thanks

Louisa

Direct link Reply with quote

Liselotte K. de Hennig  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:43
Spanish to German
+ ...
Trados INI - Across DST Oct 1, 2010

I had been translating xml-files using Trados 6.5 with .ini files supplied by my customer for several years. Since he switched to Across Language Server I am working via remote client and don't need to enter any specific document settings. If I am not wrong, for Across you need the DST file, but you can create it yourself.

You can find the description for creating the DST file here:
http://72arts.wordpress.com/2010/05/16/prepare-across-for-the-translation-of-help-manual-projects/

Hope it helps
Liselotte

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between Across and Trados when working with XML files?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search