Best CAT tool for OpenOffice (.ODT)?
Thread poster: Colin Ryan
Colin Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:46
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2010

Hi all,
Up to now I've used Trados Freelance 2007, but now I find that I will be translating OpenOffice .ODT format almost exclusively for the foreseeable future. Trados 2007 can only handle this format in TagEditor, but it is not a pleasant experience.

I am considering purchasing another CAT tool. Is there anyone who can advise me on the best CAT tool to use specifically with OpenOffice (.ODT)?
Much thanks in advance,
C

Direct link Reply with quote

Janko Mesić  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Spanish to Croatian
+ ...
Re: Best CAT tool for OpenOffice (.ODT)? Oct 6, 2010

Maybe you could try Anaphraseus (http://anaphraseus.sourceforge.net/)

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Swordfish Oct 6, 2010

ryancolm wrote:

Hi all,
Up to now I've used Trados Freelance 2007, but now I find that I will be translating OpenOffice .ODT format almost exclusively for the foreseeable future. Trados 2007 can only handle this format in TagEditor, but it is not a pleasant experience.

I am considering purchasing another CAT tool. Is there anyone who can advise me on the best CAT tool to use specifically with OpenOffice (.ODT)?
Much thanks in advance,
C

I'd suggest trying Swordfish - it works with all features for a month.

Alternatively, there is a free CAT tool called OmegaT.

Both have support forums at proz.com and elsewhere (e.g. yahoogroups).

Maybe there are some other cat tools to handle ODT, but nothing else comes to my mind at the moment.

HTH

Piotr

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Studio 2009 Oct 6, 2010

Try Studio 2009. odt files are specifically supported (along with dozens of others).
It is much more user-friendly than Tag Editor - I know just what you mean about your unpleasant experience there

As a Trados 2007 user you should be able to upgrade at a reasonable price.
In the meantime, give the free 30-day trial version a try
http://www.translationzone.com/en/downloads/demodownloads/

Studio 2009 SP2 is the current version. SP3 will be out any day now.

[Edited at 2010-10-06 10:03 GMT]

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ah! Oct 6, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
Try Studio 2009. odt files are specifically supported (along with dozens of others).
It is much more user-friendly than Tag Editor - I know just what you mean about your unpleasant experience there

Thanks, I just might do that. Not out of any great love for Trados, you understand, but simply because I can't be bothered to learn a whole new set of tools. I didn't know that Studio 2009 supported .odt out of the box.

Depends on how you define the word "reasonable"...

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Well Oct 6, 2010

ryancolm wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Thanks, I just might do that. Not out of any great love for Trados, you understand, but simply because I can't be bothered to learn a whole new set of tools. I didn't know that Studio 2009 supported .odt out of the box.

Depends on how you define the word "reasonable"...

When you upgrade to SDL 2009 you WILL HAVE TO learn new ways. Studio 2009 is nothing like TagEditor or Workbench.

The same goes for TagEditor vs Swordfish, of course.

Regards,

Piotr

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Studio 2009 is not similar to Trados 2007 Oct 6, 2010

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

When you upgrade to SDL 2009 you WILL HAVE TO learn new ways. Studio 2009 is nothing like TagEditor or Workbench.

Piotr is right. Studio 2009 is completely different.
But it's still worth the effort.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Colm Oct 6, 2010

ryancolm wrote:

The fact that you use Trados 2007 but does not like using TagEditor suggests to me that you are used to working directly within the word processor. The only CAT tool that can do that with ODT files is Anaphraseus, but as I understand it, Anaphraseus does not offer fuzzy matching.

Using OmegaT would be worse than using TagEditor -- at least in TagEditor the tags are protected and placeable, but in OmegaT you have to type in the tags manually and then run a tag check at the end of your job, correcting tag errors manually.

Trados 2009 is an option (it displays the text in two columns), but like the others have said -- it is completely different from Trados 2007 (it is a whole new CAT tool). Simple formatting such as bold, italics etc would be easier in Trados 2009, though.

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Samuel Oct 7, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

The fact that you use Trados 2007 but does not like using TagEditor suggests to me that you are used to working directly within the word processor. The only CAT tool that can do that with ODT files is Anaphraseus, but as I understand it, Anaphraseus does not offer fuzzy matching.

Using OmegaT would be worse than using TagEditor -- at least in TagEditor the tags are protected and placeable, but in OmegaT you have to type in the tags manually and then run a tag check at the end of your job, correcting tag errors manually.

Trados 2009 is an option (it displays the text in two columns), but like the others have said -- it is completely different from Trados 2007 (it is a whole new CAT tool). Simple formatting such as bold, italics etc would be easier in Trados 2009, though.

Thanks, Samuel. That's exactly the kind of information I need... next stop, the SDL website.

Thanks to all others who replied as well. I appreciate it!
C

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best CAT tool for OpenOffice (.ODT)?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search