Berenice Font  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:56
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 31, 2010

Hello everyone,
this topic has probably been largely discussed in our community but I would like to pose a direct question once more to see your reactions on this.

Why is TRADOS the most request software on job posts instead of WORDFAST? if I buy Wordfast and only have this software, when I bid on projects which require TRADOS will it be a problem? Or when they say "must use Trados" does it allow room for other CAT tools such a wordfast or Transit for example?

What is, in your opinion, the best investment one could do? What other impressions, ideas, advice would you give young beginner translators who are struggling to decide where to invest?

thank you very much and have a very happy new year 2011.

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:56
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My impression Jan 1, 2011

I use Trados and WordFast for about 10 years.

My impression:

Trados--very good but expansive and so many bugs on very new version, update.

WordFast---lower price but quick escalating price, three packages to run: standalone, MS Word interface (WFC), MS Word interface (Plus Tools).

Soonthon Lupkitaro

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:26
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
You can't use Wordfast in most of the cases where oursourcer wants Trados only Jan 1, 2011

In my language pair, if they insist on using Trados, you can't use Wordfast and you are not even eligible to apply for job.

Regards,

P. Chopra

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Berenice Jan 1, 2011

Berenice Font wrote:
Why is TRADOS the most request software on job posts instead of WORDFAST?

It is the most widely used software.

If I buy Wordfast and only have this software, when I bid on projects which require TRADOS will it be a problem?

It depends on the actual job. Some jobs won't be a problem. Most will.

Or when they say "must use Trados" does it allow room for other CAT tools such a wordfast or Transit for example?

If the client requires you to do something, then you have to do it, unless you can convince him to allow you to do otherwise.

What is, in your opinion, the best investment one could do?

Buy both Trados and Wordfast.

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 13:56
English to Russian
+ ...
It's none of client's business Jan 1, 2011

Berenice Font wrote:

Why is TRADOS the most request software on job posts instead of WORDFAST?

I see two reasons for that:

1. Aggressive promotional campaign on the side of Trado$ software company.
2. Ignorance on the the side of clients.

Berenice Font wrote:

Or when they say "must use Trados" does it allow room for other CAT tools such a wordfast or Transit for example?

Certainly if you know how to do that. Goggle for "how to do Trados projects using other CAT tools" and you will find some solutions.

Berenice Font wrote:

What is, in your opinion, the best investment one could do?

In my opinion it's Deja Vu or MemoQ.

Samuel Murray wrote:

If the client requires you to do something, then you have to do it, unless you can convince him to allow you to do otherwise.

I'm not going to waste my time for convincing anybody in a case like this one. The client can require the job to be delivered in this or that specific format. As long as I am able to deliver the required format it's none of client's business what tools I use for the purpose.

Nikita Kobrin

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Company Culture Jan 1, 2011

Do not forget to consider company culture as well. Check out the Wordfast support group on this site. Whenever you have a problem with Wordfast, someone from the company will usually respond quite quickly. I am not sure if representatives of Trados do the same. Although they also want to earn a profit, it seems as though Wordfast cares more about its products and its customers rather than just ways to make more money.

In my case, in addition to the higher cost (which is changing now that Wordfast has split its product into two versions making it almost as expensive as Trados if you want both versions), the freelance version of Trados only supports 5 languages (including your target language) while Wordfast does not have this limitation.

[Edited at 2011-01-01 18:38 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
The heart of the matter and my choice Jan 2, 2011

The heart of the matter IMVHO is the mandatory provision of bilingual files, sometimes in (more or less) specific formats like TTX.

I have decided not to go down that road anymore, as there are many ways to process non-Word files without going through e. g. TagEditor (which has problems on its own, especially when INI files are required). And I am failing to see why TTX should be better or worse than TXML, XLIFF or even TXT.

Furthermore, being forced to work on a sentence-segmentation basis just because the TM was set this way may represent a big inconvenience.

Clients do pay me for translations, they get translations. If they want bilingual documents, there is always the possibility of sending a TMX export file. Every CAT tool on the market can do this nowadays.

Berenice Font  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:56
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Jan 2, 2011

So far everyone has different kind of postures and it is very helpful to hear them all. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinions and thoughts on this matter. And please, keep throwing ideas that can help us all!

Have a very good year!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why they like Trados Jan 2, 2011

Trados invented the system of price reductions for different kind of matches. Other software only take 100 % matches into account. So this invention was very profitable for translation agencies, and they jumped on the Trados train.
And their marketing was very efficient. They made many people believe only a translator who has Trados is a professional translator.

France
French to German
+ ...
Other belief Jan 3, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
And their marketing was very efficient. They made many people believe only a translator who has Trados is a professional translator.

Translators were also made to believe that they could "leverage" the content of their TMs for their own and sole benefit... No further comment.

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Why the difference is important Jan 3, 2011

It actually is the clients' business what tools you use, as long as they ask you to provide bilingual files or TM's. The reason is segmentation - all tools, even Trados between Word and Tag Editor files, have subtle segmentation differences. If you use another tool, your client's analyses will show different results in the future.

As far as differences between Trados and Wordfast are concerned: both actually come in 2 entirely different versions: old Trados and SDL Trados Studio, and Wordfast Classic/Pro. The new versions are still relatively new to everyone, at least compared with the old ones. I like the old Wordfast for certain minor features that are not available in Trados: automatic insertion of terms on no match, tags with trailing punctuation or QA macros that you can define and have certain replacements done automatically. What I don't like about it is the messy development with a gazillion of minor versions where some features are added, but others don't work anymore, as well as features that go undocumented for many versions. Also, the old Wordfast doesn't support Tag Editor's TTX, which is something your clients might require.

Trados is unnecessarily complicated (especially MultiTerm) and has had certain annoyances that have gone unfixed for years. However, I don't really think it is more difficult than other CAT tools, and once you invest some time (and obviously money), it will pay off.

And as far as money is concerned, we all work for money, and so does SDL or Trados before. I don't have a problem with that. Depending on your rates, the price equals about 12 thousand words, so if you get work regularly, you'll get a return on your investment within weeks.

John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Keep it quiet Jan 3, 2011

Agencies insisting on Trados always seem to be at the lower end of the price and quality spectrum. Not using Trados, or not publishing the fact that you use it, does seem to keep these cheaper agencies away from the door.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Cost in number of words Jan 3, 2011

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:
Depending on your rates, the price equals about 12 thousand words, so if you get work regularly, you'll get a return on your investment within weeks.

Well, the OP's standard per-word rate is EUR 0.052. So let's do the math:

Trados (bundle with 2007 and 2009) = EUR 875
Multiterm = EUR 300
Therefore, Trados + Multiterm = EUR 1175
Wordfast (bundle with Classic and Pro) = EUR 500

Converted to per-word currency:

Trados = 16 827 words
Multiterm = 5 770 words
Trados + Multiterm = 22 597 words
Wordfast = 9616 words

The problem here is that if the client sends the translator Trados files, Wordfast won't be of much help unless the translator is a hacker-translator. The same applies with a client that sends a Wordfast file to a translator that has only Trados. And if you're really a hacker-translator, you might as well use OmegaT (which is free).

The tool of choice for the top translation companies [1] are:

Company #1: Translation Workspace.
Company #3: Trados and SDLX, one would think.
Company #4: They say they prefer Wordfast.

[1] http://www.commonsenseadvisory.com/Research/All_Users/060301_QT_top_20/tabid/1429/Default.aspx

[Edited at 2011-01-03 10:14 GMT]

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Russian
+ ...
OP? Jan 3, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

OP's standard per-word rate

Samuel,

What does 'OP' stand here for?

Nikita Kobrin

France
French to German
+ ...
That's why... Jan 3, 2011

I could not care less about so-called "trados agencies" (note the lower case!)...

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

It actually is the clients' business what tools you use, as long as they ask you to provide bilingual files or TM's. The reason is segmentation - all tools, even Trados between Word and Tag Editor files, have subtle segmentation differences. If you use another tool, your client's analyses will show different results in the future.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS vs WORDFAST

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search