File formats/options in Passolo 2007 Essential
Thread poster: montanar

montanar  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:53
French to English
Jan 7, 2011

Hello,

I'm working in house for a client where we use Trados 2007. We have the Passolo 2007 essential version on our workstations and a project has come up where we may actually have the chance to use Passolo. I used it very briefly at school, but never since then and I'm not too familiar with it. I'm confident that I'll be able to translate in Passolo (I've tested it a bit), but I have a meeting coming up with the software engineer/project manager, and I have to explain what we can do for them...here's where I need help! My main concerns:

- What source files can the Essential version handle? Is there a complete list of file extensions somewhere?

- Do I need to add all source files to my passolo project, or just those containing character strings to be translated? Once I have translated the files, and generated the target files, how do they need to be named/where do they need to be placed so the translated version of the software will run correctly?

- Can translations completed with the Essential version be uploaded to a Trados memory? I'm assuming they cannot, since I read this version does not allow you to export translations. If this is indeed the case, is there any other way to save/convert the data for future use (spreadsheet, for example)?

Any help/hints/links would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Maggie Montanaro

Achim Herrmann
Local time: 20:53
English to German
Some hints Jan 17, 2011

Hello Maggie,

SDL Passolo Essential is coming with SDL Trados 2007. Compared with full version of Passolo it has a reduced feature set. After your meeting with the developers you have to decide if it fit your needs.

- The file formats that can be translated is limited. Win32 and Win64 binaries, .NET binaries and .NET RESX files can be translated.
- You only have to add the files with translatable content to the project. For .NET project it might be necessary to have referenced assemblies in the project scope. This ensures a proper visual localization.
- Naming conventions for .NET target files are following the MS standard, so the translated software can be tested right out-of-the-box. For Windows binaries you have to ask your developers. The naming convention can be implemented into a target path rule setup and applied to your Windows files.
- All the translations can be uploaded to a Trados memory. After establishing the connection to your Trados memory you can use this connection to pre-translate the software strings, to get fuzzy matches when interactively translating and you can store your translations (Ctrl+F10).

Hope this helps.

Achim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File formats/options in Passolo 2007 Essential

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search