Local time: 02:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
CAT tool for 2001 Palm pilot (Choose your battles carefully.) Jan 14, 2011

I really think you would be better off, either,

(1) just waiting until you get home, or,

(2) getting a netbook instead.

A netbook is very cheap, has a real keyboard and screen, and actually fits into a handbag.

I am 99% certain that anyone that gets a smartphone (Nokia, Samsung), or a even a tablet (iPad, etc) and tries to actually translate anything of importance, will be wasting their time and money, and will be uninstalling whatever stra
... See more
I really think you would be better off, either,

(1) just waiting until you get home, or,

(2) getting a netbook instead.

A netbook is very cheap, has a real keyboard and screen, and actually fits into a handbag.

I am 99% certain that anyone that gets a smartphone (Nokia, Samsung), or a even a tablet (iPad, etc) and tries to actually translate anything of importance, will be wasting their time and money, and will be uninstalling whatever strange and wonderful software solutions and/or hacks that were needed to force their little device to do something it is not designed to do.

For example, I recently received a decent little laptop from a friend as a gift, and was planning on using it as my second work computer, and to be honest, I find that I never even use it.
I always just wait until I am back at my trusty old desktop, with super-sized screen, Wacom tablet, Filco mechanical switch keyboard, printer, scanner, Terabyte external hard drives, etc etc etc.

Of course, if you put your mind to it, you COULD most likely come up with a way to translate on pretty much ANYTHING... on a Palm pilot, e.g., or perhaps even on an old Black and white television set rigged up to a motion sensor device connected via 3 tennis rackets and an old record player ;>)

However, although I really do love my job, I do translate to earn money, and would rather spend what little free time I have on other things than fighting with hardware/software (hacks) to just be able to work in the first place.

Choose your battles carefully.

Michael

[Edited at 2011-01-14 13:16 GMT]
Collapse

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Local time: 03:59
Italian to English
why a cat tool for a smartphone would be useful Jan 20, 2011

I think it might be missing the point to advise against using a smartphone for a big project. Or even a medium-sized one. Or anything other than a quite small one. I really don't think that this thread was started with the idea that a smartphone might be usable as a primary or even powerful translation tool.

I have a BlackBerry and often find myself in situations where it would be nice to be able to translate, say, a less-than 300 word blog post and to be able to do it in a basic so
... See more
I think it might be missing the point to advise against using a smartphone for a big project. Or even a medium-sized one. Or anything other than a quite small one. I really don't think that this thread was started with the idea that a smartphone might be usable as a primary or even powerful translation tool.

I have a BlackBerry and often find myself in situations where it would be nice to be able to translate, say, a less-than 300 word blog post and to be able to do it in a basic source field/target field translation environment: waiting at the dentist's office, waiting at the airport, riding the train, etc. (This would obviously not require a TM or even a glossary.)

My smartphone has Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Reader installed (all optimized of course for the phone). They don't slow anything down, and often come in really handy. Almost daily, in fact.

I have used this Office functionality countless times to quickly answer a client's request for my availabilty to do a job. These tools allow me to view the files and do a word count even while riding in the car to the grocery store, and I have happily accepted many jobs this way!

Which is all to say, I already find my BlackBerry useful for reading through source material in various situations and for other translation-related reasons, not to mention that the device is designed for the quick and efficient typing of business email, etc. For certain extra small projects, a basic translation environment would be most welcome! And I have found myself wishing for one many a time.

[Edited at 2011-01-20 13:21 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Paper & Pen Vs Blackberry Jan 20, 2011

I think that it might be easier to quickly translate "a 300 word blog post" (on the train or at the bus stop) on a piece of paper than on my Blackberry;)

Michael

S E (X)
S E (X)
Italy
Local time: 03:59
Italian to English
definitely not everyone's cup of tea Jan 20, 2011

I used to be a diehard paper and pen writer, in fact paper and pencil, but boy, have I embraced computers, and now, my BlackBerry. I use it with notable fluidity (I often answer emails on it WHILE at my desktop computer, with my email application open!). Otherwise, it would never occur to me to use it for (tiny) translations.

And again, this is because I A) enjoy using my BlackBerry for work while out an
... See more

I used to be a diehard paper and pen writer, in fact paper and pencil, but boy, have I embraced computers, and now, my BlackBerry. I use it with notable fluidity (I often answer emails on it WHILE at my desktop computer, with my email application open!). Otherwise, it would never occur to me to use it for (tiny) translations.

And again, this is because I A) enjoy using my BlackBerry for work while out and about and B) like translating in a translation environment.

Perhaps it's an eccentric cup of tea, but there it is, nevertheless.

Sarah

Note re. original question about whether or not there are good CAT tools for smartphones: according to this forum, WordFast is out for iPhones and versions for BlackBerries and, perhaps I read, Androids, are in development.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools for smartphones

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »